ADVERTISEMENT

perry forfiets remaining games

ronsss

All Conference
Nov 8, 2003
i see that perry had forfieted the remaining games left in their 2022 season. i was sort of shocked when i saw that online, i am just wondering what happen at perry???anyone know the scope there

i see that perry had forfieted the remaining games left in their 2022 season. i was sort of shocked when i saw that online, i am just wondering what happen at perry???anyone know the scope there
They had about 10 players with serious injuries and aren't able to field a true Varsity squad. They didn't have much more than 30 kids out 9-12 so they had low numbers to begin with.

Unfortunately, this is going to happen more often as the number of FB participants continues to drop at many schools. Even in 5A, our school has had two sophomore games cancelled (thus far) by opponents not being able to field a team.

It's an overall trend across the state, but not at all schools. The school where my kid goes to school is a 1A school and they had over 50 kids 9-12 to start the season, but they also win a lot. Unfortunately many kids these days don't want to do activities unless they're on a good team and they get the immediate positive reinforcement by winning. I wish that kids and parents realized there's a lot to learn about life from football other than just winning or losing games.

Perry won their first game in years this season. Bigger systemic issues than the injuries. Could be time to pull the plug on the program.

harlan has 80-90 out in their pre-season football activity...no problem there....perry really surprises me...they have quite a few kids going there

harlan has 80-90 out in their pre-season football activity...no problem there....perry really surprises me...they have quite a few kids going there
Look at the town and the students ... and not the school. Most of the kids at Perry do not give a flying f about sports. They would rather learn enough to avoid following in the family footsteps and working a killfloor.

It's an overall trend across the state, but not at all schools. The school where my kid goes to school is a 1A school and they had over 50 kids 9-12 to start the season, but they also win a lot. Unfortunately many kids these days don't want to do activities unless they're on a good team and they get the immediate positive reinforcement by winning. I wish that kids and parents realized there's a lot to learn about life from football other than just winning or losing games.
We have around 60 and that’s with only 9 seniors, probably will have around 70 or so next year. Also, good possibility we move up to 2A. Good youth program supported by HS coaches and community involvement is a must.

Perry I a fairly large 4a school....shocks me they can't field a team.....is it the coach

sometimes a coach is not liked,,,,,,,kids will not go out..but i understand somewhat the reason perry cannot field a team....all the injuries too i quess

Hard to have a good high school program without a good youth program let alone no youth program and community support from the bottom up. Glad they have it going now and will see results in the near future.

Tough spot to be in for everyone.

On one hand you have to commend Perry for cancelling the games instead of playing kids who weren't ready for varsity and risk injury to them.

Anything been said about the 3 teams who finally find themselves short a game?

Boone is put into a tricky spot for next year. At the minimum none of the 3 teams who got shorted this year should be scheduled to play Perry next year. Injuries may have been the final straw to cancel the remainder of this year, but the fact is that the program has only won 1 game in the last 5 years. A record of 1-44 can't garner much interest. That doesn't raise confidence they will not have a repeat next year. With open enrollment do they run the risk of the returning kids deciding to play elsewhere to insure they get a shot at playing varsity ball next year?

IMO Boone really needs to carefully look at the situation and put some stipulations/conditions for the program to continue.

Anything been said about the 3 teams who finally find themselves short a game?

Boone is put into a tricky spot for next year. At the minimum none of the 3 teams who got shorted this year should be scheduled to play Perry next year.

IMO Boone really needs to carefully look at the situation and put some stipulations/conditions for the program to continue.

Were you this upset about the 3 schools who hung it up midway though last year? They're all playing again this year.

Or would I be correct in assuming your hangup is just with Perry?

Were you this upset about the 3 schools who hung it up midway though last year? They're all playing again this year.

Or would I be correct in assuming your hangup is just with Perry?
Were any of those schools only having one win in the last 5 years?

Much greater chance they would recover.

Truthfully I do not give a rats rectum for Perry compared to the schools who get stuck with them on their schedule and shorted a game.

I know previously it’s been if you forfeit and cost another team a home game that team automatically gets a home vs you the following year if you’re scheduled. That’s harder to do when going into a new cycle.

The article states they may ask to play JV only which may be good for them a couple years. It also states they have good numbers now in middle school (70) and 120 in elementary. Seems like they’re on the right track. No need to bask them, they’re working through it.

Those three schools are a combined 1-60 since the start of 2020. No juggernauts there.
Simple question Chip since you chose to pull 3 other schools that had to cancel seasons last year into this thread.

What classes are all 3?

Plus you do realize that with the 3 combined you can create a visual 1-60 that is near the record I posted about Perry BUT your failure on that is that "since 2020" only covers half of the time period the 5 years Perry went with only 1 win. If you want to go apples to apples would you please post the combined records of these 3 for 5 years? (You should be using their last 135 games.....not less than half that with their last 61 games).

Last edited:
Simple question Chip since you chose to pull 3 other schools that had to cancel seasons last year into this thread.

What classes are all 3?

Plus you do realize that with the 3 combined you can create a visual 1-60 that is near the record I posted about Perry BUT your failure on that is that "since 2020" only covers half of the time period the 5 years Perry went with only 1 win. If you want to go apples to apples would you please post the combined records of these 3 for 5 years? (You should be using their last 135 games.....not less than half that with their last 61 games).

LOL. I'm not going to keep feeding into this. Your obvious disdain for Perry has clouded the issue.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
LOL. I'm not going to keep feeding into this. Your obvious disdain for Perry has clouded the issue.
In other words.....you acknowledge your own defense in this is too weak to defend.

Ron is right.....4A schools should have enough depth to field a varsity team regardless of injuries. If not ....let those kids do CC and pull the plug in the program.

In other words.....you acknowledge your own defense in this is too weak to defend.

Ron is right.....4A schools should have enough depth to field a varsity team regardless of injuries. If not ....let those kids do CC and pull the plug in the program.
Why? Did you not read the article. They have numbers coming up after not having a youth program for some time. Let them play JV for the next cycle then if anything. No need to ban them from participating.

Were any of those schools only having one win in the last 5 years?

Much greater chance they would recover.

Truthfully I do not give a rats rectum for Perry compared to the schools who get stuck with them on their schedule and shorted a game.
Ghost 80 - let’s keep the rats rectum out of here.

shenandoah had also canceled the remaining 2022 season.the decision comes after the activities director stated the health, safety, and well-being for the football players cannot be met. Due to numerous season ending injuries by some of our most experienced players, they cannot adequately field a varsity team for the rest of the season.

shenandoah had also canceled the remaining 2022 season.the decision comes after the activities director stated the health, safety, and well-being for the football players cannot be met. Due to numerous season ending injuries by some of our most experienced players, they cannot adequately field a varsity team for the rest of the season.
FTR. Shenandoah =2A. Perry =4A.

FTR. Shenandoah =2A. Perry =4A.
West Burlington-Notre Dame, who is 3A, isn’t playing a JV schedule this year. They have 33 on the roster including 12 seniors. Not sure how many they have in the 8th grade class. They have 8 juniors, 8 sophomores and 5 freshmen. Their Beds was 336. If the other class was average then they’d have 448. They’ve been struggling the last few years. It’s happening all over the place.

back in the late 60,s ...when i was in high school, i dont think perry was anygood then either...that was 50 years ago....as for the present at perry, some people around town say Perry’s changing demographic with new residents, more of the kids want to play soccer.

I know previously it’s been if you forfeit and cost another team a home game that team automatically gets a home vs you the following year if you’re scheduled. That’s harder to do when going into a new cycle.

The article states they may ask to play JV only which may be good for them a couple years. It also states they have good numbers now in middle school (70) and 120 in elementary. Seems like they’re on the right track. No need to bask them, they’re working through it.
I have a little example to show you how numbers help. Back in the 90 Bondurant farrar only had about 18 kids for varsity one trip they had to have freshman suit up for varsity that was at River Side Oakland. Now look at Bondurant farrar. People forget a lot of these schools that's are having good years are teams that wasn't good in years past.

Plus the pressure people put on you as a kid that you have to win to have fun is completely wrong. No you don't have to win to have fun. If you do your best you will have fun no matter what happen win lose or draw. You have to say it doesn't matter kid if you win or lose just play your best. Players in that school need to ask kids to start playing starting at freshman or even Eight graders. Perry is doing the right thing they started a youth league just last year and it's the old Perry coach. Their numbers will get better in years to come.

Plus the pressure people put on you as a kid that you have to win to have fun is completely wrong. No you don't have to win to have fun. If you do your best you will have fun no matter what happen win lose or draw. You have to say it doesn't matter kid if you win or lose just play your best. Players in that school need to ask kids to start playing starting at freshman or even Eight graders. Perry is doing the right thing they started a youth league just last year and it's the old Perry coach. Their numbers will get better in years to come.
Their numbers are already good in middle school and elementary according to the article. Help is on the way.

I have a little example to show you how numbers help. Back in the 90 Bondurant farrar only had about 18 kids for varsity one trip they had to have freshman suit up for varsity that was at River Side Oakland. Now look at Bondurant farrar. People forget a lot of these schools that's are having good years are teams that wasn't good in years past.
Bondurant-Farrar was a 1A school back in the early 90’s and has grown a ton. They have also had a large influx of donations towards the athletic program in the past 10 years. Not a great comparison.

Reactions: ghost80
Bondurant-Farrar was a 1A school back in the early 90’s and has grown a ton. They have also had a large influx of donations towards the athletic program in the past 10 years. Not a great comparison.
Grapes vs watermellon.

Average household income would also be a big difference too.

lot of schools around the desmoines area.....i looked at a map of the schools around the desmoines area.....50 mile radius...i was surprised by the number....quess people like to get away from the large city...if u can call desmoines a large city

Unfortunately, this is going to happen more often as the number of FB participants continues to drop at many schools. Even in 5A, our school has had two sophomore games cancelled (thus far) by opponents not being able to field a team.
IMO the "2 waying" we now see at all classes that didn't use to happen is greatly reducing the number of kids remaining interested in football.

Used to be coaches (at an early age) spent more time developing more kids. Those kids stuck with the program because they had a good chance of seeing quality minutes throughout the season if they did what was expected of them. Today too many coaches are interested in early indentification of their 15 or so kids who will get all the play time and forget about the rest.

Instead of the few 2 ways even at the lower classes that used to be now today many teams in all classes have lots of kids that do not leave the field.

There are 2 kinds of kids on the sideline not playing. The first is the kid who wants to play and standing on the sideline to get only a few "junk" minutes is uncool. That is double true their senior year and they will drop the sport....especially if the team has a historic losing record. It REALLY is uncool to stand on the sideline of a team that has won 1 game in 5yrs. The kids mental mindset is, "I suck so bad I can't even get off the bench of a team that can win a game". The second kid is the kid who only wants to be able to say "I am on the football team" and doesn't care if he plays (and sometimes doesn't want to play).

Football is like car insurance. The more miles you drive the more likely you are to be involved in an accident so the higher the premium you pay. The more time you 2 way the more likely you are to get hurt. Excessive 2 ways has denied development minutes to the kid that is expected to come in or possibly even left the program due to lack of playtime. Coaches are then forced to either play kids who do not really care if they play or look for underclassmen who might not be ready to safely play, OR start cancelling games.

I wouldn't bet the farm that Perry (a 4A school) gets this thing turned around. If they have numbers in lower grades that is a good sign but they still need to find enough wins and playtime to keep those kids interested.

Last edited:
IMO the "2 waying" we now see at all classes that didn't use to happen is greatly reducing the number of kids remaining interested in football.

Used to be coaches (at an early age) spent more time developing more kids. Those kids stuck with the program because they had a good chance to seeing quality minutes throughout the season if they did what was expected of them. Today too many coaches are interested in early indentification of their 15 or so kids who will get the play time and forget about the rest.

Instead of the few 2 ways even at the lower classes that used to be now today many teams in all classes have lots of kids that do not leave the field.

There are 2 kinds of kids on the sideline not playing. The first is the kid who wants to play and standing on the sideline to get only a few "junk" minutes is uncool. That is double true their senior year and they will drop the sport....especially if the team has a historic losing record. It REALLY is uncool to stand on the sideline of a team that has won 1 game in 5yrs. The kids mental mindset is, "I suck so bad I can't even get off the bench of a team that can win a game". The second kid is the kid who only wants to be able to say "I am on the football team" and doesn't care if he plays (and sometimes doesn't want to play).

Football is like car insurance. The more miles you drive the more likely you are to be involved in an accident so the higher the premium you pay. The more time you 2 way the more likely you are to get hurt. Excessive 2 ways has denied development minutes to the kid that is expected to come in or possibly even left the program due to lack of playtime. Coaches are then forced to either play kids who do not really care if they play or look for underclassmen who might not be ready to safely play, OR start cancelling games.

I wouldn't bet the farm that Perry (a 4A school) gets this thing turned around. If they have numbers in lower grades that is a good sign but they still need to find enough wins and playtime to keep those kids interested.
I’d absolutely agree with you on the “two kinds” of kids on the sideline and can say with confidence our local school (which used to be a reliable playoff contender) has of late been less than competitive. Although the roster numbers are down modestly, there does seem to be more two-way players and use of underclassmen who (if compared with their upperclassmen counterparts) are only slightly better if at all but coaching views as building for the future. This has a chilling effect on morale and participation.

I’d absolutely agree with you on the “two kinds” of kids on the sideline and can say with confidence our local school (which used to be a reliable playoff contender) has of late been less than competitive. Although the roster numbers are down modestly, there does seem to be more two-way players and use of underclassmen who (if compared with their upperclassmen counterparts) are only slightly better if at all but coaching views as building for the future. This has a chilling effect on morale and participation.
i believe that has a lot to do on school size too, the bigger the school, i would say less 2 way starters....harlan has 3 guys that go both ways, but due to their sucess, allmost everyone plays with the blowouts. the cyclones oppoenent last week, creston, had 4 guys go both ways....i can remember another one of harlans opponents, only has 1 guy go both ways...i can understand in the smaller schools, u allmost have to do it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT