ADVERTISEMENT

Pella

They're solid and deep. But just by looking at results through the year, Heelan and Decorah are both also solid and deep. Boone looks good to me as well. Could be a real close one.

I see Chandler ran well for Boone, not full strength, but still 2nd. Shenandoah-Essex won the district though, does that put them in the mix?

I can see the Boone thing because of the chance they will have around 5 points though their first two. Shenandoah will be too far behind without a front runner and their other runners were pretty much identical to Boone's at the district. Boone will need something spectacular from their 4 and 5 runners to have any shot at all to win. They will have their fun next year with their top four returning, including the top 2 ranked underclass men. I don't know that Heelan can make up for how far back their 5th runner will be. I think it will come down to Pella and Decorah. Pella might get five in before Decorah does, but I think Decorah will have enough of an edge through the first three runners to win by about ten.

The guys definitely gave it their best to repeat
smile.r191677.gif

Congratulations to the Decorah Vikings!!! What a great race. 74 points is the lowest we have ever scored, and it just wasn't low enough. Definitely traveled home feeling that we didn't lose that race, Decorah won it, and that's easy to be proud of regardless of finish. No regrets.

If anyone knows, what is the lowest score accomplished for the runner-up team in 3A? This is the lowest that I am aware of in my eight seasons in Iowa.

Congratulations to an impressive showing for all Seniors. 20 of the top 25 finishers were seniors. What a great way to end their careers. The Senior All-Star meet next weekend should be a great celebration to talent.

It was a great battle up front between Decorah and Pella to be sure. All season it seemed to be pointed that way and it didn't disappoint. My lasting image from 3A boys though would have to be Austin and Meier of Boone going 1-2 and their emotional celebration at the end. It's hard to believe Austin was able to pull it off after only running about 30 minutes a day of easy running the past three weeks while suffering through mono. That's incredible. To have his teammate come flying in behind him in second was an impressive sight to see. The leap that Meier took into Austin's arms at the finish line is a sight I will remember for a long time. Hopefully it was captured on camera and can be shared as people start getting photos up online. Austin had a great interview where he said how amazing it felt to have gone from feeling at the top of the state to the bitter disappointment of having mono and then finding a way back to the top. Usually mono is a death sentence for an athlete's season, but somehow he made it through. Congratulations to those two and to all the teams and individuals that brought their best this past Saturday.

Both Austin and Waymire were able to bounce back pretty well. When I heard they both had mono I figured they both may be done. However, coming back to take 1st and 4th respectively is very impressive!

What a day of racing. All the races were so fast. It was a perfect day to run! I know 11 of our 14 kids PR'd Saturday, pretty crazy to think as we were initially disappointed in our race and where we finished. However like dutch_xc said we now feel that we ran well and feel the rest of the field was just tough as can be!

Fun season, always miss cross country season when it ends.

I know in the past Pella has had a very good jv team and they reload. With the number of seniors this year, is that possible for next year? Also, Decorah loses quite a bit. Boone has quite a bit back, and it would blow my mind if Gilbert isn't 3A next year with a lot returning. The top 2 from Boone and Gilbert going at it all year could be quite a show.

Pella JV was very strong. In fact they had a runner who ran JV at Norwalk and won, then turned around and ran varsity at the LHC meet and took 4th. The JV races seem to be a Pella practice until about 8th or 9th place, then you see a random runner from another school before 7 or 8 more Pella guys. At the LHC meet Pella JV won with 17 points Grinnell was 2nd with 66.

So to answer the above post, YES, Pella will be very tough next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT