ADVERTISEMENT

OK we have a new worst officiating crew in the state of Iowa

StatewidePundit

Freshman
Feb 26, 2016
It goes to that bald crew , especially the short one ( why are short refs always so bad ) who just did the AL vs CF game. Out of control drives , especially by CF tall lanky were rewarded with foul calls over and over and over. AND WITH 1 second left in the game and a tie game !!! terrible officiating all game long , not just that final pathetic weak call.
This crew needs to never do another state game but sure they will be all in the ref Hall of Fame like Boone's other 8,000 bad officials.
Pathetic

You are embarrassing yourself. Most people reading this board actually saw the game, you know. A few calls that looked questionable both ways. No more than any game, really. Without replays you have know way of telling what kind of contact occurred on the last drive but that CF kid was not "out of control" and was an eyelash from getting a 3-pt play out of the deal.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
You are embarrassing yourself. Most people reading this board actually saw the game, you know. A few calls that looked questionable both ways. No more than any game, really. Without replays you have know way of telling what kind of contact occurred on the last drive but that CF kid was not "out of control" and was an eyelash from getting a 3-pt play out of the deal.
Eyelash LOL except he didn't have the ball because he got cleanly picked. Horrible call under any circumstance. That ref needed to swallow his whistle starting in the first quarter but he is one of those ' look at me ' Boone boys refs.

Honestly who cares about officials? When you look back at games and all the opportunities you miss as a player/teams, an officials missed called really is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Just excuses.

Let's see some video evidence.....
54967623_zps65khfpua.jpg

Honestly who cares about officials? When you look back at games and all the opportunities you miss as a player/teams, an officials missed called really is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Just excuses.
Try again. Nothing worse than a game with an overoficious all about me jerk ref. Especially one that makes a call like that with .02 left in the game.

Lol you mean actual video from the IHSSN broadcast of a State tournament game? That'll never happen. Once a Boys State tournament game is played, that video is history.....unlike the girls.
Exactly lol without watching the game or seeing any video of the bad calls, it's really pointless to argue. Great point as well, unlike the girls :D Boys in Boone need to take some pointers from the Union.

It goes to that bald crew , especially the short one ( why are short refs always so bad ) who just did the AL vs CF game. Out of control drives , especially by CF tall lanky were rewarded with foul calls over and over and over. AND WITH 1 second left in the game and a tie game !!! terrible officiating all game long , not just that final pathetic weak call.
This crew needs to never do another state game but sure they will be all in the ref Hall of Fame like Boone's other 8,000 bad officials.
Pathetic
They did the chariton vs solon game. Yes they are horrrid.

Reactions: CBCrusader1994
They did the chariton vs solon game. Yes they are horrrid.

Didn't watch either game, but according to the state box scores they were different crews. The crew that worked the AL/CF game worked the Cascade/PC game yesterday. At least according to the boxes...

And unless you have reffed a game, especially a game as high stakes as one at the state tournament, you can cry me a river about officiating. It's not as easy as you think it is. He doesn't make that call and he has the other half of the arena pissed at him. He makes the best call he can and moves on. Refs can have an off game/night just like the rest of us at our jobs and some refs are just better than others. You expect your team to play like 5 MJs every time? Coaches are expected to teach kids about mental toughness, accountability and resiliency, but they gotta listen to this kinda crap all the time. Get over it.

Reactions: paxregis and WSC72
Ooooo.. now we're talking! Personally, I love tough defense and in the video it looks like the defensive player knocked the ball out. Obviously you can't see it, but the refs could have made the call based on aggression therefore making the call he did. But.. making that call, that late in the game? Yeah, not a good one. Another angle would be even better, thanks for sharing!

Didn't watch either game, but according to the state box scores they were different crews. The crew that worked the AL/CF game worked the Cascade/PC game yesterday. At least according to the boxes...

And unless you have reffed a game, especially a game as high stakes as one at the state tournament, you can cry me a river about officiating. It's not as easy as you think it is. He doesn't make that call and he has the other half of the arena pissed at him. He makes the best call he can and moves on. Refs can have an off game/night just like the rest of us at our jobs and some refs are just better than others. You expect your team to play like 5 MJs every time? Coaches are expected to teach kids about mental toughness, accountability and resiliency, but they gotta listen to this kinda crap all the time. Get over it.
21-7 foul differential before the fouling to stop the clock in the 4th...

Don't cry me a river if you signed up to officiate... it was a choice. CONSISTENCY is what the fans, players, coaches expect.

If he doesn't make that call, nobody on the other side is mad at him. There was no hard contact. The ref had a terrible angle according to that video (which is why at that point in the game you can't blow whistle, never assume a foul). If he doesn't make that call. Those fans on both sides are treated to 4 more minutes of what so far has been the best game of the State Tournament according to people who were there.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
I was at the game ...sitting very close...defender grabbed his left arm while he was going up...great call and the right call...now having said that...there were some questionable calls in the game

Confirmed besides a crap call due to the situation .02 seconds the CF kid practically hands the ball off to the AL kid. Defend this moron ref all you want , crap call and he should be suspended but will get honored at halftime of a 1a girls game next year.

Confirmed besides a crap call due to the situation .02 seconds the CF kid practically hands the ball off to the AL kid. Defend this moron ref all you want , crap call and he should be suspended but will get honored at halftime of a 1a girls game next year.
So if there were 5 minutes left the call is ok but with .02 left its not?....it WAS a foul!

That video is much better. Poor defense. The primary defender fouled him twice. They let the first one go. Looked like a good call. A foul is a foul.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
That video is much better. Poor defense. The primary defender fouled him twice. They let the first one go. Looked like a good call. A foul is a foul.
If the first one is because he put his hand (singular) out on him, then if you call that foul and consistently at any level in basketball, teams like Michigan State and Louisville would never be able to finish games. Heck there probably wouldn't even be an NBA.

The actual foul was still obstructed by the player's back so you can't tell if the defender got the ball or his arm and I'm wondering in traffic like that if the ref absolutely saw arm contact either.

But another angle we can talk about is just the simple fact that the shooter even brought the ball down by his hip in the first place. Had he kept it up, there wouldn't have been the risk to be stripped from behind, which is actually a sneaky and often under-utilized tactic used by slower defenders against overzealous and unsuspecting shooters. In this case, the Cedar Falls kid was bailed out on his lack of fundamentals (bringing the ball down by his hip) with a foul and I'm not saying it wasn't a foul because we can't see it.

Reactions: Kakiyosata
But another angle we can talk about is just the simple fact that the shooter even brought the ball down by his hip in the first place. Had he kept it up, there wouldn't have been the risk to be stripped from behind, which is actually a sneaky and often under-utilized tactic used by slower defenders against overzealous and unsuspecting shooters. In this case, the Cedar Falls kid was bailed out on his lack of fundamentals (bringing the ball down by his hip) with a foul and I'm not saying it wasn't a foul because we can't see it.

In regards to the first foul, hand checking that impedes progress was made a point of emphasis a couple years ago by the IHSAA. The fact that it isn't called consistently is a problem.

I agree about the offensive player bringing the ball back to his weak side while going up. Poor fundamentals. As for the foul, even if you can't see the arm contact, the defender's other hand goes on the shooter's hip/back as he goes up for the shot. Looks like the trail ref on that side was going to let that go too though.

After watching both videos, you can't see if the defender hit Fagan's arm or not. Was there 2 full seconds left or 2 tenths of a second left? Because if that foul wasn't called, I don't even think he's finishing at the rim in time to beat the buzzer.

Clearly from both clips the ref had a bad angle, and the call shouldn't have been made in THAT situation. If he couldn't see it, he shouldn't have called it. He assumed or anticipated a foul call. As someone above posted, instead of the ref deciding the game, let the two teams duke it out in OT. The same situation relates to when a player is throwing up at half court heave at the buzzer of halftime and gets hit while doing it, how many times you see that called?

In regards to the first foul, hand checking that impedes progress was made a point of emphasis a couple years ago by the IHSAA. The fact that it isn't called consistently is a problem.

I agree about the offensive player bringing the ball back to his weak side while going up. Poor fundamentals. As for the foul, even if you can't see the arm contact, the defender's other hand goes on the shooter's hip/back as he goes up for the shot. Looks like the trail ref on that side was going to let that go too though.
The one hand did nothing to impede his progress though. I agree players use their hands too much on defense to stop dribblers but the bigger emphasis was on two hands. Here he only extends the one hand and in that situation you won't find a single ref in the country that will make that late-game call nor a fanbase that wouldn't lose their mind over that kind of a call in that situation unless it was much more obvious that he impeded progress.

21-7 foul differential before the fouling to stop the clock in the 4th...

Don't cry me a river if you signed up to officiate... it was a choice. CONSISTENCY is what the fans, players, coaches expect.

So every game should have even fouls called even if one team is fouling more? Got it. Consistency? Every person and every crew is going to call things differently. They're not robots.

I'm not defending any calls made in the game, I didn't see it. And I'm not going to watch the video because I don't care. I've seen good calls and bad calls before, don't need to see another one. I just can't stand it when refs get the blame when our little darlings lose and we forget about the things the players could/should have done to win it.

And if the refs were bailing out aggressive drives all game like it was claimed guess what, shame on AL players and coaches for not seeing that and for taking advantage of it.

That's the problem: each game should be called as close to the same as possible. A foul is a foul and a violation a violation. Such application of clearly defined rules should not be subjective or open to personal interpretation. Kids are held accountable when they make mistakes; coaches are held accountable; officials answer to no one, and have no incentive to do well nor improve. We really do have a crisis of officiating in basketball in Iowa. The overall quality is as bad as it's ever been in my opinion and won't improve anytime soon. We've seen abject incompetence at this tournament, yet the State will continue reward that incompetence and pretend it's great because they say so

Correction the worst crew is doing the 4a title game. Nice job Boone clowns and true to form whistle after whistle players looking around like what did I do coaches wondering how why this crew isn't doing a 5th grade tourney in Polk City.

That's the problem: each game should be called as close to the same as possible. A foul is a foul and a violation a violation. Such application of clearly defined rules should not be subjective or open to personal interpretation. Kids are held accountable when they make mistakes; coaches are held accountable; officials answer to no one, and have no incentive to do well nor improve. We really do have a crisis of officiating in basketball in Iowa. The overall quality is as bad as it's ever been in my opinion and won't improve anytime soon. We've seen abject incompetence at this tournament, yet the State will continue reward that incompetence and pretend it's great because they say so

The way coaches, players, parents, & fans act these days, who would even want that job?

So every game should have even fouls called even if one team is fouling more? Got it. Consistency? Every person and every crew is going to call things differently. They're not robots.

I'm not defending any calls made in the game, I didn't see it. And I'm not going to watch the video because I don't care. I've seen good calls and bad calls before, don't need to see another one. I just can't stand it when refs get the blame when our little darlings lose and we forget about the things the players could/should have done to win it.

And if the refs were bailing out aggressive drives all game like it was claimed guess what, shame on AL players and coaches for not seeing that and for taking advantage of it.
Do you understand consistency? How is a team to understand what can be done when there is NO consistency? It's impossible to adapt "on-the-fly" when there is no consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT