ADVERTISEMENT

Offense & Defense Players (5) to Build a 2017 Team Around

Sep 24, 2016
Question by Westside rules:
Can you pick 4 or 5 returning players that if you were a coach you would pick to build your team around for the 2017 season. Interesting to see both sides of the ball offense and defense.
If you really want to impress me would like to hear "why" for each.

My Response:

I was asked to put together a team of 5 offensive and 5 defensive players to build a team around for the 2017 season. With the exception of one player on this list, I have watched each play live and have watched all of them on hudl. I know there are similar players from the East Side of Iowa so someone provide us some names we can check out on hudl. My plan next year is to try and view both west and east players provided the drive is manageable.
I have attached a link to Hudl if the players had Hudl set up, it may or may-not work... If not go to hudl and take a look.

Offense Team to Build Around (5)

Duggan (QB) LC

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6143073/max-duggan

He would be the leader of my offense, a dual threat players that combines a great arm with excellent football speed. I expect big things from him next year as he matures and further develops into the qb position. One of many things things I love about this kid is the moment never seemed too big for him. Duggan played great against top caliber teams (Valley and Ankeny) Obvisouly I was never in the huddle but I have the opinion he’s a leader and can carry a team a long way. Duggan is a QB to build around in 2017

Ross (OL) Dowling 6-3 295
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4442979/zach-ross

Any couch would love a horse up front to protect his QB and open holes to establish the run game. If you've ever watched Dowling warm up there are a few players you take note of, one of them is Ross. The state was full of great linemen ( both west and east side) I would put Ross in the mix with the best and certainly one of the top returners for next year. I really like his run blocking, he needs to continue to work on his foot work/pass protection especially for the next level (or if Dowling is required to throw more next year) Ross has a D-1 frame at 6-3 and nearly 300 pounds, who would not want a guy like Ross anchoring your O-Line.

Mason ( Valley) RB

I expect really big things from Mason next year as he carries much of the load for a Valley Team that has holes to fill. Like Duggan, Mason is a dual threat player with excellent hands ( 300 yards receiving in the regular season) and breakaway speed carrying the ball ( 800 yards rushing in regular season). He is one of those players that finds the end zone ( 19 TD’s if memory serves me right/ regular season). Watch out next season, his stats will go up significantly as he become the feature back. What jumped out at me with Mason is how he bounces off tackles, this kid plays much bigger than his height and weight listed on the program. Every team would love to have a player that can take it to the house on any touch, Mason is that kind of back.

Mosley ( Fort Dodge) Rec

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4376223/trey-mosley

One of the top receivers in the State, has the speed to get to the end-zone on any touch ( 7 times with a long of 78 yards) . Top tier receiver in both catches 1st in 4A and total yards 4th in 4A while averaging 11.7 yards a reception, I regret I have not watched Mosely play but it’s on my bucket list for next season. Few teams have this kind of threat but every team certainly wants one!

Hill ( Ankeny)

If you’ve read my list throughout the year you know how much I appreciate Hill. 2016 State Leader in TD’s (10) with an impressive 19.3 yards per catch. Electrifying, has excellent front end speed along with the moves to make defenders miss in open space. I’m not sure Hill realized how good he would be this year, next year he will play with added confidence as he accepts the fact that he’s a “special player”. In addition to what he bring on the offensive side of the ball Hill can also return punts and kickoffs and play a little defense when needed. You can go deep in the post season and build a very good team around a player like Hill.

Defense Team to Build Around (5)

Waggoner (Dowling) 6-5 225 DE

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5273341/john-waggoner

I have watched Waggoner play live on a few occasions, what I love is his discipline. I don’t recall him once being out of position or getting burned, you need someone who is a leader and Waggoner is that guy. At 6-5 he has excellent leverage and creates a tough match up for opposing linemen. Waggoner can cause his fair share of disruption as well, when he pins his ears back he’s a very good pass rusher with great leverage. As I stated in previously post he needs to get stronger which I’m certain he will before next year. A great kid to build a defense around with a bright future.

Theobald ( LC) 6-2 230 DE

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4284689/dane-theobald/videos

He and Waggoner both play the edge however they are different styles of players. In my opinion Theobald is a better pass rusher (IMO best in 4A that I watched) and Waggoner is better at playing the run, both are top tier H.S. Ends. A combination of Size, Strength and Speed. I’ve watched him 3 times and love his motor and his aggresive style of play. If I’m building a team I want someone who applies pressure all game long, what I witnessed against Ankeny ( 4 or 5 sacks in that game alone)

Baugher Ankeny ( 190 backer)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5459833/colby-baugher

Any coach would want a player that comes up and plugs the hole and makes the tackle, Baugher is that guy! (4A’s Sate Leader in Tackles with 101). This is a player you can move around and play either inside or outside, and can cover the flats. Like Theobald and Waggoner you can send Baugher will a high level of confidence he’ll get into the backfield and make a play, he recorded 10TFL on the 2016 season. If I’m picking a guy to build around I want a sure tackler, a guy that fly’s all around the field and provides me the luxury to move to multiple positions…Baugher!

Pinegar Cent. 6-3 195)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4309487/jake-pinegar/about

Love this kid, he has both size and speed at 6-3 195. Excellent cover guy who was 2nd in picks at the 4A level, I want a player that can cover my opponents top receivers and also stop the run and contain the outside, that’s why I selected Pinegar. BTW an added benefit is how athletic he is, you can use him on the offensive side of the ball as a receiver, provides a coach with a lot of different options.

Jackson Roosevelt ( 6-0 200 backer)
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4116613/kendell-jackson

Extremely athletic, again another player that you could move around depending on the situation (85 tackles with 9 for loss and 5 QB sacks along with 2 picks). He is a do-it-all kind of player that I really like. One of the most athletic guys I watched play

It was extremely hard to pick 5 guys as there are so many good players and people could debate the list all night long. This is just my opinion and my response to a request. Now lets add players from the Eastern Iowa to this list.

Reactions: LukeFeddersen
@ DSM SPORTS FAN thanks for the list, nice touch adding the hudl link. I appreciate the fact that you take the time to research and justify each pick and look forward to next year and you adding other players from Eastern Iowa.
btw
Like the idea of having both Mosley & Jackson on the list ( 2 guys from very average teams), both surprised me but after viewing hudl and reading your explanation I understand why. Again thanks for taking the time and I appreciate the effort that went into it.

anyone from eastern Iowa what to provide a list of 5? maybe you can't give all the details like DSM SF but a list would be appreciated.

Congrats DSM Sports Fan on your selections, 3 of your picks ( Ross, Theobald, Baugher) were named 1st Team ALL State by the Register. There was a total of 4 juniors on the team with the 4th ( Williams) a kicker.

Hats off to you DSM SF you nailed it

duggan from lc only a soph in 2017..he is going to be a pain in the rear for many teams the next 4 yrs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT