Harlan 36 Oskaloosa 14- 4th
Harlan 36 Oskaloosa 14- Final

Sergeant Bluff-Luton 14 Bishop Heelan 0 1st
Sergeant Bluff-Luton 21 Bishop Heelan 0 2nd
Sergeant Bluff-Luton 28 Bishop Heelan 0 half
Sergeant Blluff-Luton 35 Bishop Heelan 0 3rd
Sergeant Bluff-Luton 42 Bishp Heelan 0 -FInal

Last edited:
wow. This is pretty ugly. The Heelan score really surprises me. Not seen them play, but people just don't do that to Heelan.

Ronn
5a should be 900 and up, 4A 450, 3A 300, 2A 150...or something similar.

So semis will be 3 teams that were 4A in the not so distant past and 1 3a and end up 4A championship. Whoopie.

You can’t go by enrollment. You have to go to two or three classes. You need to make competitive games throughout the season. The play offs will in response be more competitive. Huge changes need to be made in IAHS football but they’re not hard to figure out

Decorah 17, Clear Creek-Amana 6
Epworth, Western Dubuque 48, Solon 13
Harlan 36, Oskaloosa 14
Lewis Central 51, Carroll 7
North Scott, Eldridge 39, Waverly-Shell Rock 9
Sergeant Bluff-Luton 42, Bishop Heelan Catholic, Sioux City 0
Spencer 24, Norwalk 20
Xavier, Cedar Rapids 14, Pella 6

Reactions: Iowasportsnut
Low Rent SB?? From where we sit in Iowa SBL looks like the place to be in your neck of the woods. Some pretty salty athletes coming from that town in Football and Track-been very competitive and look to be on the rise. Just an observation based on performance.

Where are you getting that Xavier has 78 kids on varsity? You can't go by playoff rosters - Xavier lets all the sophomores dress for playoff games.

I have the varsity roster for Xavier right in front of me and they had 51 kids on varsity this season.

Also Western Dubuque showed 48 kids on their varsity roster, at least when Xavier played them a month ago. Your numbers are suspect.

Xavier doesn't list all their players on their roster. Just the recruits. :) jk

Western Dubuque kind of the same because they have Epworth, Peosta, Farley, Dyersville, and about 857,000 square miles in between to draw from.

Get a few big boys from those BEDS and it makes plenty if difference. Give a Schulte or Harris 5 seconds to sit in the pocket vs. 2 or 3 and you are going to make more plays than the smaller school BEDS QB's who are getting tons more pressure. It would take a very special small 3A school to compete in that class this year. Pella, Solon, Waverly proved that last Friday.

Reactions: obfuscating
Xavier doesn't list all their players on their roster. Just the recruits. :) jk

Western Dubuque kind of the same because they have Epworth, Peosta, Farley, Dyersville, and about 857,000 square miles in between to draw from.

Get a few big boys from those BEDS and it makes plenty if difference. Give a Schulte or Harris 5 seconds to sit in the pocket vs. 2 or 3 and you are going to make more plays than the smaller school BEDS QB's who are getting tons more pressure. It would take a very special small 3A school to compete in that class this year. Pella, Solon, Waverly proved that last Friday.
Pella could beat WDub and NScott, IMO. I can't figure out what happened with Solon this year. They should have been better than that. Actually they have a slight history recently of struggling at some point in the playoffs. They really didn't show up 2 years ago against Pella at home, Last year in the Semi's they completely folded and now this year.

Xavier is good, but not unbeatable. I think they have a defense that can contain Duggan, at least will make him earn it. It really comes down to whose O can keep pace with them and TOP will be big. Keep him off the field and limit the scoring. I don't think LC is a given for the championship. They certainly have the best player in the state, but as people have stated he struggled early last week, and that was against Carroll.........and 1 player does not make a team.

Pella would beat WD\NS 2\10 times maybe with this years team.

1 player does make a team - take Morris off of Solon and they may still win but nowhere as dominant. Morris would turn a zero gain play into a TD, all on his own.
Think you are way off on your Pella take, but just opinions here. I also don't give that much credit to teams just because they were 4A last year. I watched the Pella Xavier game and Pella had the talent to win that game 4/10 times. Gave up 2 big plays that made the difference, otherwise Xavier has less than 200 yds offense. Comparing scores can be misleading but a 35-0 Wdub score over a 14-6 Pella score does not seem like Wdub is lined up to beat Pella 8 out of 10 times.

Morris played both sides of the ball, so he had impact on the entire game, just like JJewell. Duggan does not. I know LC has some Defense, but I think they had more D talent last year. They have not played a fully equipped offense like Xavier (smart athletic run/pass QB with talented RB and good host of Receivers, along with some beef on the OLine to give QB time.) Also Xavier(in its last 2 Pella matchups) has executed perfectly a couple of trick plays that can be game changing.

Pella would beat WD\NS 2\10 times maybe with this years team.

1 player does make a team - take Morris off of Solon and they may still win but nowhere as dominant. Morris would turn a zero gain play into a TD, all on his own.

Morris was unbelievable. Legendary status. In 2A that can happen more often. 3A is a lot less likely. 4A is a rarity (Tim Dwight type). Morris was three years of dominance vs. anyone else that had maybe two years of great numbers. I don't know of anyone in 3A or 4A that has had that kind of impact for three years.

We'll see if Duggan is that one man show in 3A soon enough or if the team wins a team sport.

Obfuscating you are way off. It doesn’t matter how many players you can pull. It’s a matter of quality of players. The quality of players compared between 4A schools and 3A schools is similar,
Regardless of enrollment.

Pella could beat WDub and NScott, IMO. I can't figure out what happened with Solon this year. They should have been better than that. Actually they have a slight history recently of struggling at some point in the playoffs. They really didn't show up 2 years ago against Pella at home, Last year in the Semi's they completely folded and now this year.

Xavier is good, but not unbeatable. I think they have a defense that can contain Duggan, at least will make him earn it. It really comes down to whose O can keep pace with them and TOP will be big. Keep him off the field and limit the scoring. I don't think LC is a given for the championship. They certainly have the best player in the state, but as people have stated he struggled early last week, and that was against Carroll.........and 1 player does not make a team.

I think Duggan and LC are going to beat Xavier handily and make it look easy. I've seen him play he's just a man amongst boys. They may slow him down, but they won't have an answer and won't be able to keep him out of the end zone with his legs and arms. He's too versitale at the high school level.

I don't think Xavier's offense gets enough credit, they are very good and can score at any time. I don't think they've dug into the play book besides last week either. However, I also don't think LC's defense gets enough credit. If Pella contained Xavier, it leads me to believe LC's defense will slow Xavier a few times. That'll be the difference in the game - who stops who. LC #1 offense and #2 defense. Xavier #1 defense and number #2 offense in the state. The problem is, you're not stopping Duggan. He's the difference.

Now... Both teams have to make it and as I've been saying all along, there's a lot of football yet to be played.

All great comments by the above posters. One thing though, you probably have to go by enrollment, but enrollment means nothing if there is not a football culture at the school. Bettendorf and West Davenport both have 4A/5A enrollments, but I'll bet West hasn't beat Bett since Nixon was president. (okay, maybe once or twice.) 3A private schools Xavier and Wahlert were 9-0 and 0-9 this year, respectively. Totally opposite football cultures in their respective cities. The state can do what it wants but the Solons and Harlans and Pellas and all the other strong teams/programs are going to be good no matter what class they are put into. And successful programs also seem to retain their successful coaches. I am thankful that this year we at least have some super good teams that are relatively new on the scene-- SB Luten and Lewis Central. At least it's not exactly the same ol', same ol' as almost every other year.

Last edited:
Enrollment is really the only way to break them into classes and make it competitive. Otherwise you can just say well these are the 'power schools" and put them in one group and make a second group of teams that aren't good. :)
I’ve heard people mention that on here in the past. Sort of how the English Premier Soccer league of Champions League(don’t know exactly which one) does it. That to me is stupid. However what would it hurt to have 3A schools matching up with 4A schools? Those bad/average 3A schools are going to have competitive games with the bad/below average 4A schools. And the best 3A schools will have a chance at the best 4A schools. I know 3A is a big class in Iowa but 4A is way tiny and there are blow outs every week, even this week and it’s the quarterfinals.

I know the top 3A schools hate this idea. Their chance of taking home a State York is essentially cut in half. But it’s not the smaller, less competitive 3A schools who would be against it. 4A schools would all be ok with it, and many (for example where I’m from, Sioux City) would love this. Less travel and more competitive games. Who wants to drive 3 and a half overs to play a game where it’s over by the first play? I understand that we are in a remote location, and the best teams out here are in 3A. Hell some 2A teams would beat our 4A, some of that is coaching. But it has to be somewhat similar in other areas of the state.

I went to games every Friday here in Sioux City and the best/closest game I watched was probably SC North vs LeMars.,

I don't know what to do, but I agree something is structurally wrong here. The blow outs in the final 8 games for both 3A and 4A are really troubling as that indicates a total lack of quality depth.

As an aside, Boone needs to work on smoothing the quality of districts out. Yes, I know geography matters. Yes, I know its hard to know where a team will be in 2 years. But come on, did anyone in the state not know West DBQ and Xavier were going to be good?

I don't know what to do, but I agree something is structurally wrong here. The blow outs in the final 8 games for both 3A and 4A are really troubling as that indicates a total lack of quality depth.

As an aside, Boone needs to work on smoothing the quality of districts out. Yes, I know geography matters. Yes, I know its hard to know where a team will be in 2 years. But come on, did anyone in the state not know West DBQ and Xavier were going to be good?
Xavier/Pella not a blow out. Again crappy alignments for playoffs. Now you have two teams in the semis that got clocked by the other teams on the other side.

five classes with the largest 40 schools competing in 5A, the next 48 competing in 4A, the next 64 competing in 3A, the next 64 in 2A and the remaining schools in 1A-A

I’m not exactly sure how this would help. Here’s the splits in the current system, with BEDS numbers:

Class 4A - 1399 enrollment difference between Valley (2202) and Burlington (803)

Class 3A - 402 enrollment difference between Waterloo East (744) and Solon (342)

Class 2A - 129 enrollment difference between BHRV (341) and Louisa-Muscatine (212)

Class 1A - 49 enrollment difference between Pocahontas Area/South Hardin/Clarinda (211) and Mount Ayr (162)

When you put the enrollment differences as a percentage of the smallest school in the class, you get 174% (4A), 118% (3A), 61% (2A), and 30% (1A).

And with your hypothetical:

Class 5A - 1381 enrollment difference between Valley (2202) and DM Hoover (821)

Class 4A - 444 enrollment difference between Mason
City (810) and Gilbert (366)

Class 3A - 153 enrollment difference between North Polk (364) and Pocahontas/South Hardin/Clarinda (211)

Class 2A - 56 enrollment difference between Pocahontas/S Hardin/Clarinda (211) and Alburnett/Central
Springs/Pekin (155)

Those percentages based on the smallest school are 168% (5A), 121% (4A), 73% (3A), and 36% (2A).

So this plan actually increases the difference in enrollments for all but the top class (which doesn’t change by any kind of significant amount), and with a pretty large increase in that enrollment spread in the third-largest class. I don’t see how this would change things, honestly.

If there were some way to determine classes based by strength/consistency of program, that’d probably be a better way to classify, but I don’t know how you really get away from enrollment as a determining factor.

You have to just put everyone into one class for 3A/4A....it would be better for everyone... I think basketball should also do a 64 team tournament at the end of the year with all classes and conference winners getting auto bids, just like the NCAA does...

What would?

2 classes separate 2200-342 4 classes separate 340 and below.

You run 3A/4A together as one class. What part of that do you not get. You want to use numbers and enrollment and a bunch of other idiotic factors...the game of football Uses 11 players.....you match up teams locally and let them go at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT