ADVERTISEMENT

Now for REAL football discussions:

Went to the Lisbon- Belle Plaine game last night. Expected a ground and pound slugfest and got that. Neither team looked great , but Lisbon always looked more likely to win it. Lots of classic first game mistakes. But it was nice to watch a football game.

Most people, i'd say 75-80 % of people were wearing masks. especially when walking around. Once they got to seats or viewing area, most took mask off .

The 4 minute sanitation break looked like timeouts. so prepare for about 7-8 time outs per half. I think the teams with strong coaching staffs , which already have an advantage obviously, have an even greater advantage.

I agree with Sev... The offenses looked rough in the Belle Plaine Lisbon game for both sides. but I thought Lisbon's defense was pretty impressive. No way Belle Plaine had more than 30 yards total. 3 turnovers and a blocked punt for a TD as well. Going into this game I thought Belle Plaine was a team to watch after giving Grundy Center all they could handle in last year's playoffs... at least in the 1st half. Either Lisbon's defense is unbelievable or Belle Plaine is having a really down year. Either way, Lisbon might actually have figured things out after a couple of unusually down years. Time will tell.

The COVID water breaks are ridiculous though. The refs were stopping play right in the middle of drives. Complete momentum killers. Heavy run dominant teams who like to demoralize their opponents by pounding out 4 yards at a time and march down the field eating clock are going to hate these timeouts. In this game it really only affected Lisbon because Belle Plaine only had 2 or 3 first downs the whole game, but the W. Hancock, St Ansgar, old Madrid type offenses won't be able to march for 10 minutes at a time. On the good side, I guess conditioning won't be much of an issue this year. Even with the COVID craziness, it sure was good to see some football again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT