ADVERTISEMENT

Norwalk??

ghost80

Varsity
Feb 24, 2009
One of the local teams I have enjoyed watching is Norwalk. Solid program and normally a technically fit team (great passing, greating kicking inside and out, kids are experienced and understand the game, ect).

This year they seem to be struggling. Anyone else notice this or know something?

Norwalk is 3-4 with all losses at the hands of 4A schools. Arguably the most difficult 2A schedule in the state outside Wahlert and Xavier. Took CR Kennedy to PK's for the 2nd year in a row at the Valley Invite. As always, they will be battle tested and prepared for sub-state.

How do the Pella Dutch look this year? Heard there were a few positions that needed people to step in from last year. Saw Pella beat Newton 2-0 the other night. Solid conference win for sure. 2-1 loss to DM Hoover must have been a hard fought game as well.

Norwalk has scheduled 3A heavy (there is no 4A in soccer) and doesn't have an easy road. If there is one thing I'd scratch my head about would the the loss to Indianola. It was double OT which would indicate to me these teams must have been close (at least on this day).

What makes me scratch my head is that this is the same Indianola team which has lost to 2A ADM, Knoxville, and WSR (the loss to WSR was 6-0).

Unless it was cancelled ADM and Norwalk should have played a preseason exhibition game (a rematch of last years susbstate which Norwalk won). Anyone know if/how that matchup turned out?

Actually I'm going to scratch my head twice. A 1-0 OT win over winless Osky probably means the Indianola game was not a fluke.

I heard Norwalk outshot Indianola 32-7. 32 shots is more common in a basketball game. Chrikey!

I also heard the Osky game was played with winds gusting to 40mph. They said the pitch was in the middle of a cornfield with no wind breaks. Not to make excuses of course.

I am equally confused by Norwalk results. I can't imagine them ever being out of a match because they are so well coached. I would have exepected them to handle both Indianola and Osky pretty easily. But if it's one of those nights where the guys don't put the shots in the net you never know what can happen.

I expect that we will learn a lot more about them with their match up against Grinnell this Thursday. Grinnell is probably over-rated a bit but still a decent team.

Pella has a solid line up and has seemed to replace a couple of key seniors with some younger kids stepping up. My understanding is they possessed the ball the majority of the match and outshot Hoover but just didn't put the shots away and Hoover got a couple of break aways for the victory.

The Little Hawkeye Conference is going to fun this year.

Norwalk has had a tough schedule, but lets remember they lost those games. I don't figure they will much of a player at the State Tournament this season.

Norwalk is 2 shootout losses away from being 5-2. If anybody takes Norwalk lightly this year they will be in for a rude awakening. I expect them to make a lot of noise in the tournament.

Did the UConn Men's Basketball team play well at the beginning of the year or at the end? Who thinks their tough schedule had something to do with them being National Champs? I believe they were a 9 seed in the Big East Tournament.

While there is some truth to what you say good teams also find a way to win.

Norwalk will be solid enough on the field and especially on the sideline they shouldn't be overlooked by anyone-anytime. As solid as their program has been they might even be the team others are getting up for.

I did talk to a Norwalk parent and they informed me ADM did win the preseason scrimmage 1-0. For practice they held a shootout out which was also won by the western boys. Thanks for the answer JJ.

norwalk did not possess the majority of the game against hoover and did not have that many opportunities on goal. hoover controlled the entire 1st half and it was pretty even or slightly tilted to norwalk in the 2nd

Balla, didn't intend to indicate Norwalk possessed against Hoover. I was referencing the Pella-Hoover match.

Norwalk took care of Grinnell last night in LHC battle (2-1). I am thinking Grinnell is perhaps rated a bit too high but still another solid win for Norwalk.

ahh.pella match was pretty even but pella didnt get that many shots and dangerous chances.pella is a pretty damn good team though

I haven't seen a Norwalk match yet this season so this statement doesn't not apply to this year.

In reading the above posts I'm surprised at Norwalk losing these shoot outs.

Typically Norwalk would be one of the last teams I would want to face in a shootout. Most teams usually have a couple strong, accurate kickers while Norwalk seems stacked in this area. They normally have multiple threats that can really drill the ball.

I don't think Norwalk needs to worry. Doesn't look like they have been mismatched in any of these games and as others have mentioned they've got top rate coaches to figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT