ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season 1A

Apr 16, 2008
Now that this season has now ended, who are the teams to look for next year? Who does everyone think will make it to state?

Norwalk returns 8 starters but loses Gabe Crall, Nate Van Horn, and Brian Michelson all moving on to college ball.

Norwalk's starting goal keeper Ben Smiley should be back along with offensive powerhouses Kyle Cummings and Eric May.

Norwalk is far and away the team to beat next year.

The only question will be on defense with uncertainty at the keeper position (Smiley's injuries might be more severe than we realize) and especially with the graduation of Van Horn and Michelson. Obviously Crall is a great player, but Norwalk will have offensive guns with May and Cumings.

Norwalk was able to play with only two or three defenders back on the offensive attack many times this season, but I don't see the Warriors being able to do that much next season.

Plus, no offense, but the Norwalk defense completely collapsed during the final 5 minutes Saturday against Wahlert. You can use the excuse that they were playing their third tough game in as many days, but that won't hold water if Norwalk expects to win state next year.

I completely agree. There was a void in the middle of the field towards the end of the game. I would say its more of the midfield's collapse that provided all of the wide open looks at the end. This quite possibly could be from playing in games that clearly didn't have South Tama or Keokuk as opponents. Look at all three games: 2-1, 2-1 [2OT/PK], 3-2.

Some may credit the defense with an outstanding performance in the tournament but some will take it away for giving up goals. Like you said, having to play without the goal keeper that they are used to playing with is probably very difficult.

Norwalk played a 4-5-1 this year and if you look at Smiley's goal kick's and punts throughout the year. He was able to accumulate 3 assists on them. Max Crum's kicking was anything but spectacular in the state tournament but again he had more then enough shoes to fill when stepping up at that level in Smiley's absence.

I think the games could have been more in Norwalk's favor offensively with Smiley's presence. That would potentially have led to a greater sense of security in the back line and would have allowed for people to push up.

But like i always say: good teams are good because they are willing and able to adapt to injuries and the shortcomings that may plague a team.

Norwalk will be good next year. They are well coached and have a tough schedule throughout the year to show them where they are at and where they need to be in order to compete with the best of the best teams. Look for promising seasons from Conner Adamson [Austin Adamson's brother] Eric May, Kyle Cummings, Ben Smiley [if he's able to continue playing] and possibly Zane H.

Iowa City West will be back.........well, EVERYONE knows that pretty much by now.

3dgrin.gif

Im pretty sure i said 1A not 2A but thanks frost.
But I think that Marion could be a very good team next year they are graduating only 1 senior and they were a very young team last year starting 4-5 freshmen by the end of the year and so this year was pretty much a year to work things out and get their kinks worked out and i think they could be good next year

Originally posted by FrostyMitchell:
Iowa City West will be back.........well, EVERYONE knows that pretty much by now.

3dgrin.gif
West Des Moines Dowling Catholic 1,
Iowa City West 0

That score says it all.

Iowa City West may be able to win a 1A title next year though. After all, this is a thread on top teams coming back in 1A.

Reading comprehension must not be a strong suit of the Iowa City public schools.

roll.gif

BADeyeCy:

Wow........astonishing - Dowling finally beat Iowa City West, by the whopping score of 1-0 in the last 3 minutes. That's a real whippin.

You are a Pinhead..........straight up.
flush.gif

So wait, isn't that the 2nd time that WDM Dowling Catholic beat Iowa City West this year?

I'm pretty sure ICW lost to Dowling on April 5th.

Norwalk vs. Spencer for the 1-A state crown next spring. (only if the seedings have them on seperate sides of the brackets)

Spencer will be real tough next year. They lose a couple of starters but no one that is irreplaciable. Their core next year is going to be tough and they shall compete for the title again.

Norwalk said,
----
'So wait, isn't that the 2nd time that WDM Dowling Catholic beat Iowa City West this year?'

May have been........however, as FrostyMitchell pointed out earlier this season, it WAS and OFFICIAL

2A Boys Soccer Final, as Iowa City West was in the Championship game, again.

IT'S OFFICIAL. (Similar to the World Series only being official if the Yankees are in the fall classic)
3dgrin.gif

Mount Vernon/Lisbon will regroup for next year and have a decent team. They lose only a couple of seniors but they will gain another Russell and a couple other quality players.

Not sure of Regina. They had a solid team this year and played very well. I thought their middle defender did an excellent job all year.

Solon will do well next year. Both Mt Vernon and Solon will be joining a larger conference which will help them. Regina will not and left to compete against smaller teams.

Congrats to everyone this year. I will just say a word for Pella Christian. We finished 10-5 and third in the Little Hawkeye Conference. This was our first winning season in spring soccer, so it is definitely a big step in the right direction. Our losses were to Norwalk, Perry, Newton, Pella, and South Tama in the substate final. We were one goal short of making it to the state tournament.

Pella Christian does lose around seven starters, but they will still have some solid players for next year. The J-V did very well this year and was made up of mainly freshmen.

It looks like a possibility that Xavier and Norwalk could be 2A next year after looking at enrollment figures. Depends on if some of these schools continue to share programs or if any school adds soccer to their programs.

Xavier will move up next year, they are 47th largest next year, Norwalk is 49th, but shrinking, so would be 1A still unless someone in top 48 drops soccer, other schools combining for teams could also push Norwalk down. Boone drops to 1A next year as well in place of Xavier. I believe Norwalk has another small class next year as well, so not moving up yet.
http://www.iahsaa.org/0809bedn.pdf

Are any school districts starting soccer next year?

Also - who does Sergeant Bluff-Luton share with to push them into 2A..Have they filed papers to share next year?
This post was edited on 6/27 3:36 PM by VLADIMER

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT