ADVERTISEMENT

Never too early....

Jun 29, 2017
5 weeks until practices start, figured I would start throwing out predictions. Would love to hear others as well.

Mr. Basketball - Patrick McCaffrey: Will put up big numbers this year in one of the toughest conferences in the state.

4A Champs - DBQ Senior - Need guard play to take a big step to be a championship team, but Carter will be on a mission.
3A- Osky - Henry and Foster, enough said.
2A - South Hamilton - return 3 big time scorers and solid guard play. One loss last year
1A - Grand View - Any challenges?

I personally am really excited to watch the talent around the state this year. Iowa basketball is as deep as it’s been in a while.

Luckily, we only play GVC once this year. I'm just going to assume that their talent will be too much for most 1A teams, but honestly, I don't expect them to be quite as good this year. Yeah, their front court will be shockingly good, but with what they lost, their back court won't be anywhere near as good, nor will it be deep. I can easily see a team with good guards push them, especially if they can control the pace. NL would have a big advantage there.

The big thing that made GVC go last year was having DeMeulenaere, Nyaw and Glenn out front on their zone/press. Those three were long (especially Nyaw and Glenn), quick and understood how to take away spacing. They're all gone, if rumors are true. That leaves Neyail and Long as the only returning back court players (isn't Crabb the one who was quitting basketball to concentrate on soccer?). Those two aren't bad players, but are they enough to repeat again? I don't think they are by themselves.

Well, unless they added a couple of guards no one has talked about.

Oh, I haven't been paying as much attention to 2A since we dropped down, however, regarding South Hamilton, Balderas is a huge loss. I actually think he's a way bigger loss than Collin Hill was the year before. Might be the most underrated player in the state last year.

Reactions: Hawki45
In 4A, I'd say that Dubuque Senior, Iowa City West and North Scott are the top three. Maybe there is a power in central Iowa or out west, but I'm not privy to that. Rumor is that IC West has two transfers, one a 6-8 kid from Regina. If the newbies are any good at all, West may just be too big and powerful for anyone to stop. Senior did beat West at West last year, breaking their incredible home winning streak, but then Senior lost to North Scott in the tourney, after sqeaking past Carton and Bettendorf, and North Scott has a ton of talent back. Senior lost their stellar point guard, Stevens, to graduation. Should be interesting. Agree Oskaloosa may just be too big for anyone to handle this year in 3A, but they did lose about three games last year, including Norwalk, Wahlert and either Mt. Pleasant or Glenwood, I don't remember. And Osky lost an awfully good big man who was as effective as Foster. It's not easy to win a state championship, so it's not a given that Osky will win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheese2 and Hawki45
In 4A, I'd say that Dubuque Senior, Iowa City West and North Scott are the top three. Maybe there is a power in central Iowa or out west, but I'm not privy to that. Rumor is that IC West has two transfers, one a 6-8 kid from Regina. If the newbies are any good at all, West may just be too big and powerful for anyone to stop. Senior did beat West at West last year, breaking their incredible home winning streak, but then Senior lost to North Scott in the tourney, after sqeaking past Carton and Bettendorf, and North Scott has a ton of talent back. Senior lost their stellar point guard, Stevens, to graduation. Should be interesting. Agree Oskaloosa may just be too big for anyone to handle this year in 3A, but they did lose about three games last year, including Norwalk, Wahlert and either Mt. Pleasant or Glenwood, I don't remember. And Osky lost an awfully good big man who was as effective as Foster. It's not easy to win a state championship, so it's not a given that Osky will win.
A.I agree with you about Osky, guard play is huge come tourney time and that is where they really struggled at times I thought. They have the talent but do they have someone who can run the show so the bigs can do their thing?
B. West did get a transfer from Regina, big kid but rather raw. If he developed over the summer then West will be difficult to beat. The MVC is loaded this year, and adding Western Dubuque only adds to the strength of the conference.

I think the surprise team that could knock off the big boys in the MVC is CR Kennedy. They have three very skilled and long athletes to with their usual stable of solid athletes. Wetzel, Schlaak, and LM transfer Andrews will be tough matchups for most teams. Cedar Falls loses an big time player in Green, but returns a number of players from their title team and adds some really talented young players. They will be in the mix as well in the MVC again. I agree with you EIH, that North Scott team with Coach Budde leading them might have what it takes to win it all. They defend extremely well and are very disciplined on offense. Out West, I would expect Valley and Waukee to be in the mix for state again this year. Both teams always have an abundance of size and skilled players.

3A should be owned by Oskaloosa. Norwalk, Glenwood, SBL, and WSR could get them on a good night though. What is Wahlert going to be like this year EIH?

4A: Senior (Des Moines North, North Scott, Iowa City West, Waukee)
3A: Oskaloosa (Sergeant Bluff-Luton, Glenwood, Norwalk, Waverly-Shell Rock)
2A: Western Christian (North Linn, South Hamilton, Dike-New Hartford, Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont)
1A: Grand View Christian (Bishop Garrigan, George-Little Rock, West Fork, New London)

Mr. Basketball: DJ Carton. Great race between Carton, McCaffery, Locure and Hilmer this year. Locure has put up massive career numbers in 4A, and if he's able to get North to a state title game, he could grab some momentum.

4A: Senior (Des Moines North, North Scott, Iowa City West, Waukee)
3A: Oskaloosa (Sergeant Bluff-Luton, Glenwood, Norwalk, Waverly-Shell Rock)
2A: Western Christian (North Linn, South Hamilton, Dike-New Hartford, Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont)
1A: Grand View Christian (Bishop Garrigan, George-Little Rock, West Fork, New London)

Mr. Basketball: DJ Carton. Great race between Carton, McCaffery, Locure and Hilmer this year. Locure has put up massive career numbers in 4A, and if he's able to get North to a state title game, he could grab some momentum.

I’m an idiot, don’t know how but completely forgot about Carton. He should run away with Mr. Basketball, but you never know with how the voting goes sometimes seems to favor the Iowa Commits.

Doesn't defending 2A champ Cascade have a bunch of starters back? They have a terrific young coach. To answer Cheese2, Wahlert is always going to be tough but have a lousy record because they play as tough a schedule as is possible. Last year they had about eight wins and beat Oskaloosa on a neutal court, lost to 4A champ Cedar Falls on the last shot, Hempstead on the last shot and buried CR Prairie by 26 at Prairie to end the regular season. Then they shot about 10% in the first round of the district tourney and lost to a hot shooting Mt. Verrnon. Go figure. This year they have as good a guard combo as they've had in years in juniors Cael Schmitt and Jake Schockemoehl, and a couple of other quick swing players. They have no real experience up front, so they may go with a three or four guard offense. I'd say they get about seven to nine wins at the most and then contend to make state for the umpteenth time. Next year is their year, not this one. Senior should dominate in the city this year with their very very deep bench and multitude of shooters.

Last edited:
While I hesitate to disagree with EastIowaHawk on anything DBQ area regarding basketball, I will risk it. Wahlert's problems last year were chemistry. The (then) sophomore guards never really fit into the team (Schmitt as a point guard worked better than the other) and it showed on the court. Unless they have dialed down attitudes they are going to get beat by anyone with aggressive athletic guards.

Oh, and backside picking was horrible, but that is not a uniquely Wahlert problem.

Doesn't defending 2A champ Cascade have a bunch of starters back? They have a terrific young coach. To answer Cheese2, Wahlert is always going to be tough but have a lousy record because they play as tough a schedule as is possible. Last year they had about eight wins and beat Oskaloosa on a neutal court, lost to 4A champ Cedar Falls on the last shot, Hempstead on the last shot and buried CR Prairie by 26 at Prairie to end the regular season. Then they shot about 10% in the first round of the district tourney and lost to a hot shooting Mt. Verrnon. Go figure. This year they have as good a guard combo as they've had in years in juniors Cael Schmitt and Jake Schockemoehl, and a couple of other quick swing players. They have no real experience up front, so they may go with a three or four guard offense. I'd say they get about seven to nine wins at the most and then contend to make state for the umpteenth time. Next year is their year, not this one. Senior should dominate in the city this year with their very very deep bench and multitude of shooters.

Great insight as always EIH. Wahlert is always competitive and capable of beating anyone on their very tough schedule. I knew they had some talented junior guards...might be fun to see them play a little faster then this year. How did they beat CR. Prairie by 26 last year? CR. Prairie has a ton of talent back and should have a big year. The Murray boys are elite shooters and they have some strong younger classes as well. Senior just has a top flight program under Coach Eimers...they are always tough and so fundamentally sound. Shocked that North Scott clipped them last year as I thought they could have won it all. The MVC will be a grinder yet again this season...be interesting to see how Western Dubuque and Liberty fit in.

Haris Hoffman is the only starter back for Cascade. He led them in scoring and rebounding, but it was really balanced team that fed off those five playing together for forever. Only other returnee with significant experience is Reid Rausch, who was their sixth man last year.

Luckily, we only play GVC once this year. I'm just going to assume that their talent will be too much for most 1A teams, but honestly, I don't expect them to be quite as good this year. Yeah, their front court will be shockingly good, but with what they lost, their back court won't be anywhere near as good, nor will it be deep. I can easily see a team with good guards push them, especially if they can control the pace. NL would have a big advantage there.

The big thing that made GVC go last year was having DeMeulenaere, Nyaw and Glenn out front on their zone/press. Those three were long (especially Nyaw and Glenn), quick and understood how to take away spacing. They're all gone, if rumors are true. That leaves Neyail and Long as the only returning back court players (isn't Crabb the one who was quitting basketball to concentrate on soccer?). Those two aren't bad players, but are they enough to repeat again? I don't think they are by themselves.

Well, unless they added a couple of guards no one has talked about.
Crabb is not quitting basketball to play soccer.

Crabb is not quitting basketball to play soccer.

OK, I was thinking someone had mentioned that, but I don't remember where. That helps them a lot with depth then.

Oh, I also noticed, I mentioned NL as being able to take advantage a bit...I forgot they moved to 2A this year. Given that, I'm not sure who would be able to take GVC down.

Reactions: iowalongs230
Call me crazy but I don't think GVC wins it this year for 1A. They'll be crazy loaded on the front line, but guard play will be severely lacking.

I would not be shocked if Ankeny Christian makes state if they are in the same districts again. ACA will be senior laden with Caleb Grizzle, Chad Elrod and Jayce Goergen all returning.

I have no ties to them, but as arch rivals, ACA always seems to play GVC to close, tough games.

Guess we'll see...

Reactions: iowalongs230
Call me crazy but I don't think GVC wins it this year for 1A. They'll be crazy loaded on the front line, but guard play will be severely lacking.

I would not be shocked if Ankeny Christian makes state if they are in the same districts again. ACA will be senior laden with Caleb Grizzle, Chad Elrod and Jayce Goergen all returning.

I have no ties to them, but as arch rivals, ACA always seems to play GVC to close, tough games.

Guess we'll see...

100% agree. Unfortunately it sounds like we’ll have to wait until District play...heard ACA declined playing GVC during the regular season this year, maybe just a scheduling issue, who knows, but never been an issue in the past. Guessing GVC will have another loaded schedule regardless, they don’t seem to shy away from playing anyone.

Any word on GVC joining a conference like the HOI? Being independent makes it tougher for teams to schedule you when they have their own conference to play...so not sure how tough GVC schedule will be...maybe they play a lot of larger class teams, plus it will be hardest to schedule in the middle of the season due to middle of the season matters for post season seeding...GVC should be entertaining to watch this year with that back court...but like someone said their press was one of their best weapons. With graduation and possible transfer, the front court side of the press is inexperienced...we'll see...DeMeulenaere will be hard to replace when they want to dribble out a close game, that has been ACA problem with them the last few years, game gets close and GVC ball handlers just play keep away...How may days until season? Hurry up...

Last edited:
Grand View Christian opens the season at Iowa City West on Saturday, December 1. Mark your calendars for that one.

Grand View Christian opens the season at Iowa City West on Saturday, December 1. Mark your calendars for that one.

That will be an interesting match up.
Going out on a limb, pure guess, and say West by 20. GVC lost biy 21 in their 1st game at 3A Pella the first year they won it all.

Looking forward to 3a and 4a this year. Ton of talent in those classes. Kind of like to see Osky pull it out.

Is that the assistant coach connection since he played for the U of I? Will it be on BTN? The big boys are playin the Badgers Nov 30th at Carver.

I don't know if the entire schedule has been released, but from what I understand there are games against Don Bosco, Eddysville-Blakeburg, Des Moines Christian, Sioux City West, Treynor, Aplington-Parkersburg, and Carroll Kuemper.

GVC may be a load for similar-sized school competition, but they'd be trounced by IC West, North Scott, Senior, etc.

My top 8 for 4A and 3A. If someone would like to do a 2A and 1A it would be appreciated as I don’t have a lot of insight on those levels.

4A
IC West
Dbq Senior
North Scott
WDM Valley
DSM North
Cedar Falls
Bettendorf
Ankeny Centennial

3A
Oskaloosa
Glenwood
SBL
Norwalk
Spirit Lake
WSR
Carroll
Assumption

Be interested to know others thoughts.

My top 8 for 4A and 3A. If someone would like to do a 2A and 1A it would be appreciated as I don’t have a lot of insight on those levels.

4A
IC West
Dbq Senior
North Scott
WDM Valley
DSM North
Cedar Falls
Bettendorf
Ankeny Centennial

3A
Oskaloosa
Glenwood
SBL
Norwalk
Spirit Lake
WSR
Carroll
Assumption

Be interested to know others thoughts.

Hawk, I like most of your 4A list...but Waukee needs to be in there. Bett and Centennial are solid and could be amongst the top 8 by the end of the year. I just like Waukee better than either of them. Cedar Rapids Kennedy is going to be a sleeper as well that I like better than Bett or Centennial.

Hard to argue with any of your 3A picks. East Iowa Hawk likes Wahlert to be in the mix...they certainly could come out of the east as well as West Delaware.

This is a great time of the year. Excited for the season to get started!

Hawk, I like most of your 4A list...but Waukee needs to be in there. Bett and Centennial are solid and could be amongst the top 8 by the end of the year. I just like Waukee better than either of them. Cedar Rapids Kennedy is going to be a sleeper as well that I like better than Bett or Centennial.

Hard to argue with any of your 3A picks. East Iowa Hawk likes Wahlert to be in the mix...they certainly could come out of the east as well as West Delaware.

This is a great time of the year. Excited for the season to get started!

Waukee completely slipped my mind. I would put them in ahead of Centennial....probably a top 3 team in the state with that talent.

Team I think to keep an eye on in 4A is IC High. They return everyone from last year. Tons of talent there.

Hawki45, that's a pretty good list for your 4A. But even as a Johnston guy, Waukee should be sitting in your #3 or #4 position. I think Dub Senior is the cream of the crop this year with both IC West and Waukee right there. Great list though. Wish there was a way to see Johnston back in there but I'm afraid they'll be a little too young this year.

Hawki45, that's a pretty good list for your 4A. But even as a Johnston guy, Waukee should be sitting in your #3 or #4 position. I think Dub Senior is the cream of the crop this year with both IC West and Waukee right there. Great list though. Wish there was a way to see Johnston back in there but I'm afraid they'll be a little too young this year.

I agree, they completely slipped my mind. I would have my revised 4a look like this
ICW
DBQ Senior
Waukee
NS
DSM Valley
DSM North
CF
Bett

My 4A Top 10 Preseason
1. IC West
2. Waukee
3. North Scott
4. CR Prairie
5. CR Kennedy
6. Dubuque Senior
7. DM North
8. Bettendorf
9. Sioux City East
10. Valley

3A
1. Oskaloosa
2. Norwalk
3. Glenwood
4. Sergeant Bluff
5. Spirit Lake
6. Carlisle
7. Pella
8. Iowa Falls
9. Charles City
10. Clear Lake

SC West has some good players back. They should be improved and SC East may be taking a step back this year with the loss of some players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT