ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada Meet

se xc1

Varsity
Oct 20, 2007
Is this true? Did these guys run jv? Thanks.

1 Smith, Reed JR North Polk 16:50.00 1
2 Sandberg, Ryley JR North Polk 16:58.00 2

I was thinking the same thing, but my "guess" is it was a discipline issue as both of those runners ran on North Polk's varsity at the Ballard Invite.

Add those two into the varsity race at the Nevada Meet as North Polk's #2 and #3 runners and they go from 5th place as a team to easily winning it.

Originally posted by se xc1:
Is this true? Did these guys run jv? Thanks.

Nevada Meet

Or maybe they had to be somewhere else that night/ or some type of conflict, and running JV got them in a race an hour or so earlier so they could still run a race? I have seen that before on a number of occasions.

I didn't mean to bring up negativity here, I apologize for that. I just wanted to know if they did run and ran jv and the times were correct. Thanks

What is the word on Waymire, and why she didn't finish? IS she injured? Would have been interesting how Grinnell and DCG would have finished had Johnson ran varsity for Grinnell and Waymire finished. DCG would have won had that happened, but it also looks as if Gallo from Grinnell had a poor race. She is usually a good 40 seconds ahead of her teammates, and she finished 2nd in this meet. DCG at #3 may be pretty high and Grinnell at #8 may be low. I also saw the Solon girls run last night and they looked solid, should be higher then where they are they beat Williamsburg pretty handily.

Just wondering what the fastest Girl time is this year - Solon's #1 is pretty good:

1 Lauren Benzing, 12 15:47 6:21 (Anamosa)
1 Lauren Benzing, 12 15:08 6:05 (Solon)
1 Lauren Benzing, 12 15:46 6:20 (Tipton)
1 Lauren Benzing, 12 15:08 6:05 (Benton)

"fastest time" almost always equals "shortest course." That being said Ana Holdiman has been running exceptionally fast. She went 13:36 at Jesup the other night (historically short course). But, she beat Nicole Miller from North Linn by 1:15, and miller is an outstanding runner. There are several 4A runners that are likely mid to low 14:00 runners. Rebekah Topham of griswold is likely a 13 something runner or close to it

Yes, courses can be different lengths.

It can even surprise you how different measurements of the same course can be. At a recent race I was told by four different people four different measurements that they had all just found with their various GPS devices. Also, many states don't even agree how to measure the course (measure the shortest possible path taken, measure from the mid-line of the entire course, measure the most likely path taken). For the past three seasons now Iowa has adopted the "measure along the most likely run path" theory (previously it was the mid-line). However, many races are run with only a single line for runners to follow. Most will run along that line, even though by rule they may run five feet to either side of that line. The measurement is usually taken long the line. Running alertly and wisely can shave significant seconds from one's time.

So comparing times from one meet to another can contain a great deal of variation and this does not even begin to discuss the difficulty of one course to another.

That's why people should worry more about competing than times in xc. The variables from year to year on the same course make it less than 100% accurate to compare, let alone different courses.

There are many small turns/arcs in the Jesup course - therefore taking the most direct line shortens the course by quite a bit. When we run Jesup, I typically don't use those times for individual season PR's due to the dramatic time changes (several by over a minute versus their 2nd fastest time) - but I keep going to the meet because of the many 1A teams there.

Golf courses tend to be faster because grass being mowed shorter and the general surface is typically not as rough as most school grounds. Courses that have short steep up hills and long gradual down hills also tend to be faster courses.

I measure our course by where the runners are going to run - I
believe that is recommended in the CC manual. This means our course
tends to be "slow" to some because the runners all run the true distance - no room for cutting.

Accuracy of a wheel can also influence short/long courses. If the measuring wheel has a 1 ft diameter vs a 3 ft diameter, each bump in the not-so-level terrain may measure differently. Originally GPS measurements were in straight lines, so it makes a huge difference when/where you made your reference points... I'm not sure how accurate they are now. Does anyone know their accuracy - or the chips that go in shoes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT