ADVERTISEMENT

NEIC Conference 2012

Waukon88

Freshman
Apr 23, 2004
Baseball season coming up very soon. Predictions?

I would think that Charles City is the favorite with Isakson and Etherington returning. Decorah should be very good again like every year. Returning Ostlie, Ashbacher, Moen and Jewell. I know Waverly-SR lost a lot of players last year and I guess will take a step back but I am not sure. The only state tournament team was Waukon and they will take a big step back this year. They do return their best pitcher in Logan Wood but basically graduated all of their hitters including one of their best in school history in Tyler Ronan. The other teams in the conference I don't know that much about so please comment if you want.

Predictions

Charles City
Decorah
New Hampton
Waverly-SR
Oelwein
Waukon
Crestwood

I would pretty much agree with your picks. I do think New Hampton has a decent chance of winning the conference with an impressive season last year and almost everyone back. Hopp a slugger and McDonald very impressive. Waukon really can't take a big step back from a 3-15 conference season. They really did not have a good season - just got hot at the right time. They may actually be better this season overall. Decorah should be solid as well.

New Hampton
Charles City
Waverly
Decorah
Waukon
Cresco
Oelwein

I agree about New Hampton being the favorite this year. They were a young team last year. Their pitcher was only an 8th grader and he might be the best pitcher in the conference this year.

Results from Monday

#2 Clear Lake 10 #10 Charles City 6
Oelwein 12 Center Point-Urbana 2
Center Point-Urbana 3 Oelwein 2
Waverly-Shell Rock 13 Denver 1

This post was edited on 5/22 10:18 AM by Waukon88
This post was edited on 5/22 11:31 AM by Waukon88

In a battle of two teams that went to state last year, North Fayette downs Waukon 6-2 Tuesday in North Fayette.

Blair Snyder is not North's ace but went the distance for the win. Greco is easing back into baseball and started in centerfield, making a key catch in the leftcenter gap when Waukon had the bases loaded. Logan Wood pitched for Waukon and was eventually replaced by Stortz. Both had some control problems. North Fayette just has too many hitters in the lineup.

This is usually a pretty tough conference. Charles City, Decorah, New Hampton, and WSR are all pretty good just about every year. I see no reason why this year would be any different. I think these four will separate themselves from the rest of the conference. What order they finish in, though? I have no idea.

Charles City beat Osage tonight 12-2 for their 1st win of the season. I see that they are just 1-3 on the season. Are they down this year or was it a tough early season schedule?

Friday night could go a long ways toward determing the title with Charles City (9-3) facing New Hampton (8-4). Luke Johnson has been swinging a big bat for the Comets and should face McDonald on the mound for Chickasaws. McDonald's 65 K's and 14 walks impressive. Oelwein (7-3) also still in the race and hosting Waukon Friday which lost 2-1 at Charles City last Friday. Indians hoping to get on a late season surge again. Rest of standings have Decorah (6-6), Waverly (4-6), Cresco (3-9), and Waukon (2-8).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT