ADVERTISEMENT

Native American Mascots

Kakiyosata

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2014
There's still a few great games left to be played this season, but there's something I just wanted to bring to light a little more. As we all know, at least those of us that have a TV, know that the Washington Redskins have taken heat over their name over recent years.

Last year at some point, I was in the gas station and saw the Des Moines Register stating that Iowa is one of the top states with the most Native American related names/mascots. This came to me as a surprise, because there is only one federally recognized tribe in the entire state of Iowa, the Meskwaki, Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi. But, it also didn't surprise me as I thought about many of the surrounding schools and teams I have played personally or watched.

To name a few: HLV Warriors, Montezuma Braves, Sigourney Savages, Moravia MoHawks, Spirit Lake Indians, New Hampton Chickasaws, etc.

(http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ative-american-indian-names-popular/15179583/)

The above link mentions a few other names, but I just thought I should say something as it offends many Native people across the country. Some a lot and some not so much, nonetheless it is an issue depending on how you see it. As we all know, racism still lives in today's society regardless of your ethnicity.

There can be a solution to these schools with these names and mascots. Recently, adidas released a statement saying they would provide/sponsor schools jerseys for (FREE) IF they change their school mascots.

(http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e75f...offers-help-eliminate-native-american-mascots)

This isn't only an issues in the state of Iowa, but all around the country as I know plenty of people in other tribes from other states that deal with mocking such as the tomahawk chop, wearing of a headdress, or even covering one's mouth repeatedly while hollering. There's no offense towards the schools mentioned above, simply providing information and giving examples. I just think adidas is doing a great thing for Native Americans all over the country, and also can help out schools looking for new jerseys and change.

As I said, plenty of season left, but I thought I could bring this to light. Any questions, thoughts, ideas, and suggestions welcome.

1. I fail to understand how anyone could ever be insulted when a sports team considers them worthy enough to take up their name.
2. I fail to understand how this is the forum of choice to push someone's idea of political correctness on our sport.

Makes me want to boycott Adidas because I see them using this for personal gain and improved sales only.

Oh and by the way, I have enough native blood in my veins to make any statmet I choose on this subject without hesitation.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
Someone is bound to be offended by about anything.

Can it not be assumed that a nickname might also be honoring a nationality and it not always be construed as negative in nature?

If it can't....shouldn't we then go ahead and rename towns (ex - Cherokee), counties (ex - Sioux) or even our state's name?

Y'all people need to quit being pussies. It's just a name and we're honoring the people that we once killed. It's the least we can do

Having Dutch heritage I demand that Pella and MOC-FV change their nicknames at once. I am joking about that, but it does sound pretty silly doesn't it.

Knowing quite a few members of the Meskwaki tribe I can tell you that the average Native American doesn't mind the nicknames as long as they are done in a respectful way. Most of the problem comes from people who are in no way connected to any tribe but are trying to make everything "politically correct".

The other issue comes down to money. Take for instance Florida State and North Dakota. Florida State has given the Seminole tribe millions of dollars. The Sioux tribe was not given the same by the University of North Dakota there the problem lies.

In instances like this, the voice of the few outweigh the voice of the many. I could almost gauarantee that 90%+ of people don't care too much, like someone else mentioned, as long as the names aren't being disrespectful or taken out of context. This is quickly being the decade of "everyone being offended by everything".

Great points all around fellas! Personally, I really could careless. It was just an ironic stat and article to me. The names don't offend me, and as you said PNation, it's not a problem if done respectfully. That's the way I see things, such as the Kansas City Chiefs, they have a day where they honor Natives, and have a Native American Day. The Seminole Tribe of Florida actually has some of their traditional prints on the school's football jerseys and have the tribe's permission to do what they do.

It's just when people are blind and don't take the time to understand something such as the Redskins' owner who chooses to claim the name a tradition, pride, and the name belonging to them when in fact it is used as a derogatory name to Native Americans. It doesn't make sense.

This generation has come to be sensitive to many topics or take constructive criticism. I was simply bringing the topic to light and thought adidas was doing something that could be seen as positive. This wasn't an attempt to push this on to anyone else as one may do with say, religion. Nonetheless, I am not offended by names or mascots unless they are disrespecting. Clearly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Len - No one is pushing this on anyone. I thought it was something that could be said and have various opinions on and discussion. So, what sales will this improve for adidas? If a name/mascot is changed, they will sponsor/give FREE jerseys to schools. Not like they'd make millions as they would from an athlete. Not like their forcing schools to make the change, clearly the school would have to be willing. Also, I could careless if you have Native blood in your veins. 1/96th's maybe? or full blood? Regardless, anyone can make a statement regarding the subject, Native blood isn't a requirement bud.

mtdew - I completely understand your statement and point of view. People will get their panties in a knot with just about anything nowadays. If something is being done respectfully, then no it shouldn't be construed as negative, but how can that be said when terms such as Redskins and Savages be used without someone being offended? That's the same as using the term Slaves or Wetbacks or Crackers, which are all common offensive terms for African Americans/Spanish/Caucasian orientation. Obviously, it's a give or take situation.

Huskie - Very solid statement.;)

Jeffy - We all know you're the one that needs supporters in your attempt to keep on trolling. Maybe it's time to take the steps on this site as you once did in real life. So, Jeffy, have a snickers, you're not being yourself.
518947556-Caitlyn-Jenner-Tears-Up-During-Emotional-ESPYS-Speech.jpg

250 words or less is reserved for people who could care less. Adidas would reap huge benefits by outfitting entire teams will all Adidas gear. Of course you would go back to them for replacement items once you've switched that completely. I also reject the premise that no one is pushing this. Many are and we need to recognize it along with many other agendas being pushed these days. I will agree the topic needs to be discussed but here you are preaching to the choir for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT