ADVERTISEMENT

MSTM 2013

Oct 27, 2011
How does everyone think about MSTM chances on making State again next year? Looks like they lose 10 seniors, but I also hear good things about their JV team.

Big shoes to fill. I've heard the JV is pretty loaded, but they will be missing the huge 1-2 stars they have had. Sounds like they will be a good ballclub, but doubful they will be able to make it 4 in a row. Treynor should be on everyones radar for sure though. They were a good young team this year.

Kraber did impress what I saw. Still not sure they have quite enough to be the elite team they were the last 3 years. May is a long ways away though and they could surprise me. For history's sake, i hope they do. But again, I think Treynor will be very strong, as well as the other traditional powrhouses. Can't wait!

Ummm, If I had the means, and my kid was good enough to start for them, I'd consider moving there. They have, I have been told, a very good school system all-around so it's a win-win for anyone wanting to play ball there. Just my opinion.

What about loyalty to the kids your son grew up playing with? Moving to a community or open enrolling for the pure reason of being on a hand picked team irks me a little bit. Just my opinion.

Half of the kids anymore have better friendships with their travel teammates than their little league team, if they even do play with their little league at all. In alot of other states, like where I come from in California, 99% of all varsity starters played very little, if any local little league ball at all. They play travel ball with hand picked teams their whole lifes. Iowa is way behind the times and just now starting to really get on the travel ball "bandwagon". Like it or not, it is the way things are headed. Some of your more remote small towns still have that comraderie simply because there really isn't the option of a travel team simply due to logistics.

The boys at MStM are a close knit group. They have been very accepting to anyone who open enrolls at MStM....athlete or not. They take plenty of open enrollments issues other then athletics. Actually, it's probably safe to say that the majority of their open enrollments come from Indianola/Norwalk/DM Metro schools. They are moved to MStM due to behavior issues and not being able to "fit in" at such a big school. It actually is a safe haven for many students -- athlete or not.

Just because they have an open door policy doesn't mean anything. Plenty of talent (sportswise) in the area at other schools. Why doesn't MStM have a stellar boys bball program? The entire team was basically the baseball team as it was. Couldn't they just "recruit" who they want?

There is plenty of boyhood loyalty as these kids mostly played together at very early ages as it was. Loyalty or not, 3 state championships is a big deal. Look where many of them are going because of their success and ability to play/practice at a higher level.

Back to the original post. I think they will be decent. They will be young, again, as they were a few years back. Plenty of room for improvement and growth. I suspect they do well in conference and make a run for state. Could be upset unsuspectingly however. Time will tell. Plenty of time to get work done in the off season.

Just to reply to this post...we do come from a what would be termed in CA a small, rural town that did do USSSA. We did pretty well over our three years. Our kids enjoyed taking on the so-called all-star teams and won our fair share of those games. It prepared them to play varsity as freshmen and in one case as 8th grader b/c we played the game as our high school coach likes to play. I think in some cases the all star teams lost to us b/ c they were too stubborn to play "team" baseball...like bunting over runners, squeezes and other strategy that would help you win games. They just let every kid go up and hack away. Not saying its wrong or right, but it made us more ready for varsity game situations. Best of luck to MSTM next year.

^^^ Good point. I do believe that mentality though, would fall on the coaches philosophy. I have seen some of that by Utrip type teams, but I have seen many others with a great "team-first" way of doing things as well as I have seen both in regular LL or HS teams. It may or may not be for you and your kid, but it is growing rapidly in popularity and IMO more often than not does in fact make most kids better ballplayers than they would be otherwise. Anyhow, I agree good luck to MstM next year.

What's the projection for JD next year at Illinois?

Is he expected to be a contributor as soon as possible or do they plan to develop/redshirt him as a freshman?

Or is it still too early to tell on all counts?

Also, does anyone know what kind of freshman year Coats and Westphal had this past spring?
This post was edited on 8/7 10:10 PM by gg2224

I heard J.D. might actually get some pitching experiece first year, so he will not redshirt if all goes well.

Coates was one of the better players for SWCC hittting and fielding, and I believe Westphal sat out this year to get his back healthy but should be back for next year...this is just what I hear

Thanks for the update -

I wish J.D. luck next year. It will be interesting to see how he does once they put 15-20 lbs on that frame. He's really made some big strides since I first saw him throw in Arizona at a couple of years ago. From a guy like me who's on the outside looking in, it seems the MSTM program had a great impact on his development.

Glad to hear Coats had a good season. I saw him crush the ball a few times at the 2011 All-Star series. Has he generated any interest yet beyond SWCC?

Sorry to hear about Ethan. Hopefuly he'll bounce back with a good year in 2013.

What's everyone's thoughts on Coach Dehmer's retirement? What a big shock coming off 3 straight State titles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT