ADVERTISEMENT

Most exciting/impressive relay events in track?

terrehawk

All Conference
Feb 23, 2011
What event shows the true athleticism/speed/toughness of a team? Also what is the most exciting?

I would say it is the 4x400 and then the 4x200 close behind.

The 4x100 is over too quick and harder to follow as closely. Yeah, you need some fast guys but they don't have to be as talented.

The 4x400 many times determines the outcome of the meet but also showcases speed/toughness/desire into one event. You can't succeed as a team without all 3. IMO is the most exciting and the best event in track and field.

The 4x200 is mainly speed but it seems the teams that have great 4x200 runners are typically some of the most athletic. Speed alone won't do it for you and toughness alone won't either. Desire isn't as crucial as the 4x4

The medley, while somewhat exciting due to the various distances, can simply be won by having 1 great 800 runner. You can have a 30 meter lead and still lose easily.

I would rank 'em

4x4
4x2
Medley
4x1

Discus.........

I agree with 4x4 being the best race and if you have 4 very good 400 runners you'll have a very good track team.

I agree with the 4x400 as the most exciting race. But I also love the 4x800. When you watch good teams battle it out, it is an exciting race to the finish.

Totally agree on the 4 x 400, but I also think a super fast 4 x 100 is awesome to watch. Especially if there's 2 or 3 good teams going head to head.

The 4x400 does not determine the team title any more so than the shot put. Each event is weighted the same. Yes, it is last and sometimes the title is undetermined at that point, but it hardly determines the winner.

Heck, relays are even less important as you can score 2 in any of the individual events.

A hotly contested 4x4 is about the perfect length of time to watch. 4x1 is too quick and 4x8 is too long.

I would have to say the 4x400 and 4x100 are the two most exciting races, but every relay where kids are competing hard is exciting. A boys sprint med like the girls have would be awesome in my opinion.

B-K not sure if your comment was directed toward me or not.All I was saying is if you have 4 or 5 real good 400 runners a team can score a lot of pts. in several events.These kids can usually run very good 2'and 8's.

bigfriday - Nope, not directed toward you at all. In fact you are spot-on. A team with 4-6 400 kids will be tough to beat especially at the 1A and 2A level.

My comment was more directed towards the originator of the post that made the claim that the 4x400 often determines the meet outcome.

For me, the most exciting race is the 4x100 and the shuttle hurdle. I also have to send some love to the mile for being the most tactical.

I know spelling isn't all that highly regarded here, but I think it's funny that terrehawk misspelled "discuss" as "discus" in a message board about track and field. Just sayin.

Yeah . . . sprint med would be awesome in the olympics. . . .except, it would be depressing watching the American sprinters drop the baton on the 100 legs and have to see michael johnson or jeremy wariner step off the track every 4 years without ever getting the stick.

4x4 and sprint(800) med are both favorites of mine.

Or, you might see a 9.8 out of the blocks followed by a 9.5 then a 19.0 then a 42.8.

After watching the Penn Relays (USA vs the World) and the horrible commentary by Ato Bolden I'm still not impressed with exchanges but there is still a lot of time. Ultimately, it comes down to how important it is to the 4 guys running the race and in today's big shoe contract world, they don't always think of country first. After the dropped batons etc.. then it hits home pretty hard but then it's another 4 years to forget the pain and start the process over again.

Is that the first time you listened to Ato? Because he's one of, if not, the best track commentators out there.

The problem is the 4x1 is run 2-3 times a year, at most with our studs so a few hours of practice the week of the games isn't going to get that timing down. They don't all train together, so it's not like they can perfect it. And really, if it makes more sense to go to meets and run the open instead of teaming up for a 4x1, they should. Not like there is a ton of money to be made in track, they should think about themselves first. The Olympics are moving more and more towards money than it is about country. For the most part it already has.

I've always thought that USA should run the #4-7 guys in the Olympic 4x1. The depth is there that they would medal and since they are already eliminated as individuals, the desire would to practice/focus/commit would follow.

B-K, I definitely agree with you there. I mean, heck, in the prelims (especially 4x4) they usually run 2-3 guys that don't run finals and still drop great times.

Definitely the 4x400. The 400 is thought by many to be best running measure of sheer overall athleticism being basically the longest sprint.

Not only fun to watch but show me a team with a good 4x400 and you are normally looking at a good team with a decent droup of athletes.

#1)Distance Medley- i believe this shows the greatest overall depth of a team, even if the 800 anchor alone can win the race for a team with a good split, its exciting.

#2)4x4- i had a tough time deciding on #1 between this and the medley, both are extremely exciting and show the most depth/athleticism.

3)4x1- Footspeed and Handoffs, enough said. Exciting at state especially

4)4x8- I love seeing teams have 4 good 800 runners. This is my favorite race of them all. But not for other people, so its lower.

The rest: 4x2, then the shuttle hurdle. I think the shuttle hurdle relay is a horrible race. And many others have agreed with me.

BD,

Actually, after watching the sport for nearly 40 years and studying the best recommended practice methods for sprint relay exchanges there have been plenty of bad tv announcers and maybe Ato isn't the worst one out there but he's far from great. You could be right though, he may be the best out there in America at this time. Granted, the job has to be pretty challenging,and they are trying to reach out to the non-track audience, I just think the sport deserves better.

In Ato, I just don't hear the biased American passion that really cares if USA wins or loses in the Trinidadian's voice. I can better palate criticism from someone who competed under our flag I guess. Call me patriotic but not a sore loser. I want Red, White and Blue to figure it out and beat the best within the rules because I believe we can do better than drop the baton, run into our teammates, pass out of the zone etc... Bolden had fun kicking a lot of American tail in his days but that doesn't make him a good announcer.

Carol Lewis probably would get the worst track announcer award. Mute was a great option on the remote when she showed up. Dwight Stones is my pick for the most technicaly inclined field announcer but the dumb Larry Rawson analogies trump him in the Joe Sports Viewer category due to trying to increase viewership. Not that Larry didn't have a passion for the sport but the efforts to dumb it down all the time didn't help the sport gain any respect either. Who cares about his who he had dinner with the night before stories while the race is in progress! Or that we should imagine throwing a bag of groceries 70 feet to relate to the shot put? Just call the race and let us get into the event for what it is and not some circus act just passing through town. Stones breaks the field events down and explains corrective actions to increase performance better than anyone. Boring to the casual viewer but still worth the effort of understanding better than trying to imagine how many football fields a guy has to run to equal a mile.

Liquori and Shorter were awesome authorities that understand the distance events and can actually communicate eloquently. The American running boom of the 80's was an important era that promoted more interest by the public in learning more in many ways and through a variety of avenues.

Tony Reavis wasn't bad for ESPN coverage of road races. Lewis Johnson is ok but he gets relegated to trying to interview athletes immediately after they compete rather than analyzing or calling races so he might not realize his potential any time soon as the older/senior commentators hang on forever.

Who could forget OJ Simpson? I'd rather. Al Michaels ABC and Tom Hammond NBC have been pretty good but nobody will ever replace Jim McKay who gets my nostalgic vote. Outside of track, the great Howard Cosell had to have the biggest impact on the sporting world calling the great boxing matches of his time. One of a kind.

But to answer your original question, no that's not the first time I've listened to Ato Bolden's drivel.

As far as the money thing goes, it's results that matter. Joe Viewer won't care any more about track and field if USA doesn't get the stick around and beat the guys in yellow and green. That's what is going to get the athlete more jingle in their pockets and more interest in their trade. Especially for the 2nd tier guys that you mentioned but that group won't ever beat the likes of the Jamaicans even with their best exchanges. Our best must run with perfection to get it done these days.

I know there are more individual events but this thread was about exciting relays. Everybody likes relays and can relate because of participation and team effort. Maybe there should be more in the Olympics. In addition, I refuse to buy a video proclaiming to learn the Jamaican Way. I'd rather spend it on bringing glory back to the sprint relays of America the Beautiful. The world has caught us and passed us in many ways. We have to be resourceful and creative to raise the bar and standard again if it's still important to us.

I watched the world championships on Universal Sports last summer and the British announcers have always had a great mix of technical, humor, spirit, human interest big picture type of relating the events to the public. I'd listen to them over most others any chance I get. The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. carries many more world events with better, in-depth coverage and presentation than anything an American broadcast can offer. They have room for it though outside of Hockey and Curling without baseball and basketball.

Dont' forget, The X-Games have become the modern Olympics with American youth.
This post was edited on 5/31 11:37 PM by On Wings of Eagles
This post was edited on 5/31 11:39 PM by On Wings of Eagles
This post was edited on 5/31 11:42 PM by On Wings of Eagles
This post was edited on 6/1 6:45 AM by On Wings of Eagles
This post was edited on 6/1 6:53 AM by On Wings of Eagles
This post was edited on 6/1 6:54 AM by On Wings of Eagles

Yeah, I clearly don't have 40 years worth of viewing. I've been watching track for about 16 years, and closely for the last 12. I'd agree with almost all of what you have written in regards to rawson, stone, johnson, etc... but I still feel at this time and over the last 4-5 years that Ato has been the best. And, someone saying the "metric mile" or "roughly 16 lengths of a football field" etc... is enough to get me to mute it. The reality of track on T.V. is that the casual fan is most likely not watching, so why try and dumb it down? Or if you are going to do it, at least do it in the correct terms at first and then make a correlation to something the casual fan can understand. BBC broadcasts are typically my favorite ones to watch too.

I clearly want America to bust up Jamaica in the 4x1 but don't see it happening for 2 main reason 1-Jamaica's top 4 combined are faster than our top 4 and b-the U.S.A. is and always will be an individual driven country, those guys are going to focus on their races first then worry about hand-offs. It has shown the last few world championships. Luckily in the 4x4 we are just that much more dominant than everyone else and you don't need to focus on the handoff as much.

The best motivation for the American men to win the 4 x 100 is to have the American women win as much as possible.
This post was edited on 6/1 11:30 PM by On Wings of Eagles

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT