ADVERTISEMENT

Man I’m tired.

GwinnettDawg

All Conference
Aug 7, 2001
Haven’t said anything before now, but my FIL is in hospice care at home. This is day 12. Yesterday saw w big turn downward and we were literally up all night keeping a vigil. Don’t know if any of you know what a death rattle is, and I hope you don’t have to find out. It sounds much worse than what it actually is but man will it Fvck with your head.

Dude is one of the strongest willed people I have ever seen. He just refuses to let go.

Haven’t said anything before now, but my FIL is in hospice care at home. This is day 12. Yesterday saw w big turn downward and we were literally up all night keeping a vigil. Don’t know if any of you know what a death rattle is, and I hope you don’t have to find out. It sounds much worse than what it actually is but man will it Fvck with your head.

Dude is one of the strongest willed people I have ever seen. He just refuses to let go.
Been there with my oldest brother - painful. My thoughts go to you and your wife

Yep, been through it with my mom, sister in law and brother’s MIL…. I pray he finds his peace soon and you all strength to endure. 🙏

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
Yep, been through it with my mom, sister in law and brother’s MIL…. I pray he finds his peace soon and you all strength to endure. 🙏
So far his wife has not told him it was ok for him to pass over. I’m a bit bothered by her fear or selfishness, not sure which it is. Neither is going to change the final outcome. My mother passed in hospice and it was nothing like this.

Haven't heard it personally, but calls when both of my parents were close to the end letting me know they were "in the process." That rattle is one of the telltale signs. I've heard the same about it...it's unnerving. Prayers for your family. Been way too much of that going on with my friends and family lately.

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
You know immediately what it is when you hear it. I heard it with my sister and she was gone in no time . My son is captain at F.D. and he tells me often of someone with the death rattle on some of their runs .

You know immediately what it is when you hear it. I heard it with my sister and she was gone in no time . My son is captain at F.D. and he tells me often of someone with the death rattle on some of their runs .
He passed at 5:30. The rattle actually changed. At first it sounded more like just fluids in his throat. Then he settle in and the true rattle came thru. It was peaceful at the end. I’m thankful for that.

Why am I on the board? Hospice is here doing their thing and I’m full of nervous energy.

God bless you and yours.

Took some time to reflect on this one. I heard this rattle with my sister and it profoundly affected me brother. One note, my sister was in a great deal of pain (breast cancer that metastasized to bone and brain cancer) so we "gave her permission" to leave us.

Still one of the hardest things I've ever said to anyone and, after the above mentioned reflection, that list is longer than I realized. Damn that sucks.

My mother is near the end. I'm honestly surprised that she is still with us. As far as I can tell she isn't in pain. True her quality of life is near zero but my dad still enjoys every moment with her. For me she is gone but for him, he has a different reality.

I cannot fault him for his take. He works his ass off to provide her care. God bless him. It has probably taken years off his life but such is his commitment and I'm incredibly proud of him for that commitment.

Took some time to reflect on this one. I heard this rattle with my sister and it profoundly affected me brother. One note, my sister was in a great deal of pain (breast cancer that metastasized to bone and brain cancer) so we "gave her permission" to leave us.

Still one of the hardest things I've ever said to anyone and, after the above mentioned reflection, that list is longer than I realized. Damn that sucks.

My mother is near the end. I'm honestly surprised that she is still with us. As far as I can tell she isn't in pain. True her quality of life is near zero but my dad still enjoys every moment with her. For me she is gone but for him, he has a different reality.

I cannot fault him for his take. He works his ass off to provide her care. God bless him. It has probably taken years off his life but such is his commitment and I'm incredibly proud of him for that commitment.
Sorry, man. You can experience it but it doesn’t make it any easier the next time.

We talked about the permission. I told him I’d look after his wife, she’d stay in the house, etc. My wife did the same much more eloquently than I ever could. Maybe MIL did it too but not where we could hear. Both of them are/were fiercely private people.

He had prostate cancer that metastasized to his bones. I dont think that pain had taken hold yet or at least he wasn’t saying it. The cancer treatments absolutely destroyed him. They are listing cancer as the primary and CGH secondary. In my view it’s the opposite but not my call. He was trying some new drug called iridium-192 that gets injected but never finished it. You can argue that’s what really took him.

Correction. He was taking radium-223.

Last edited:
He passed at 5:30. The rattle actually changed. At first it sounded more like just fluids in his throat. Then he settle in and the true rattle came thru. It was peaceful at the end. I’m thankful for that.

Why am I on the board? Hospice is here doing their thing and I’m full of nervous energy.
If you want something to ease your mind just a little bit, the person experiencing the “rattle” isn’t in any pain or discomfort. Usually unconscious.

Certainly an unpleasant experience for the loved ones surrounding. Prayers for y’all.

If you want something to ease your mind just a little bit, the person experiencing the “rattle” isn’t in any pain or discomfort. Usually unconscious.

Certainly an unpleasant experience for the loved ones surrounding. Prayers for y’all.
Yeah, I’ve read that. Of course I wonder how does anyone really know that? But as I said in the post it just fvcks with your head a bit. What he settled into sounded more like static than it did drowning in his own secretions. That’s what it was Monday night and we thought we were failing him. It was excruciating for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT