ADVERTISEMENT

Madrid at AHST

Nov 1, 2013
I've got some friends from Madrid who are telling me that their running attack is clicking and can't be stopped right now, I also know a few people in Avoca who are really worried about this game. Who wins this?

AHST's defense has been doing pretty well against the run this year. It will be a good game with Madrid playing so well lately.

My buddy says Madrid has two brothers who are about the same size and just knock people over, you ready for that kind of offense?

Head to head record for AHST and Madrid is 4-4 dating back to 1991 when Madrid beat AHST in the championship. In the playoffs, Madrid is 4-2 against AHST with the two losses coming in '05 and '12, and wins coming in '91, '08, '09, & '10. Should be an exciting game with two quality teams who have a history with each other, rich traditions, and a high level of respect for one another.

Past wins/losses/games mean nothing. I want to know about AHST 2013, who cares about what they were like in 1999?

They only have two? Their whole starting lineup can hit hard and truck people over. Have you seen any highlights of their games? I can see why people think that the Madrid offense can't be stopped but can the Madrid defense stop the AHST offense? We will have to see I guess.

The Gibbons brothers (Owen at RB and Collen at FB) finished 6th and 10th in rushing in Class A and are both good athletes/hard runners. 3rd running back Alex Schieltz isn't too shabby either, nor is QB Nick Novotny. It took Madrid a few early season games to iron out some personnel issues, but the offense has definitely been clicking the last 7 games.

Madrid's killer has always been turnovers and we had 3 Wednesday night which lead to a very close game. Taking nothing away from Westwood (their QB is excellent and only a JR), Madrid should have had a more comfortable victory.

High school football is a difficult game to predict. Barring turnovers or special teams scores, I believe that the key to the game will be Madrid's defense against AHST's offense. Having watched game films of AHST, I believe that Madrid can score on offense but the question is can the Tigers' defensive hold AHST's offense down? I've said before that I am way to biased to make a prediction, but that is my take on the game.

I agree with Madrid's D against AHST's O. Weren't Madrid and Westwood tied up for a while during their game? I think if Westwood's D can keep up with Madrid's O then so can AHST's. I see that Madrid has the most rushing yards in the state on quikstats but all they do is run. It is in AHST's favor because they will always expect the run. Madrid only has 8 pass completions on the year with 4 picks.

Madrid throws all the time! It's called an option. Just because it's not past the line of scrimmage doesn't mean anything.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/1 2:53 PM by Bringin the Heat

Madrid really got burned with passing in the loss against Audubon early in the season and have really stayed away from it since then. Great game last night, definitely the game of the night in Class A judging by the scores. Lots of hard-nosed football like you would expect from these two outstanding programs.

Good luck to the Vikings - I think that Friday night's game with Audubon will be another excellent one.

It was. Both teams played extremely hard. The tenacity of AHST in this regard had something to do with the fumbles obviously and they deserve credit. Regardless of why, there is no excuse to lose 5 fumbles in a game. You cannot do that and win in the playoffs.

The AHST/Audobon game should be a good one. I lean toward AHST because of that defensive tenacity they have as a unit. However this will be a close game and either could win. Toss up. That is if the game is not skewed w/ off the charts turnovers.....don't think it will be though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT