ADVERTISEMENT

lewis central vs xavier

ronsss

All Conference
Nov 8, 2003
the 2 teams listed are probably heavy favorites to meet in the final, i did a cal prep projected matchup

Xavier 28 Lewis Central 27

calpreps updated their site,,,so i changed the score..it was heavily favored towards xavier last week

Last edited:
That's interesting! I'd love to see those two match up, it would be a great game. Xavier's Defense vs LC's Offense, I'd give the edge to LC's Offense, too many weapons. Max Duggan is too much and won't be stopped. He has the ball in his hands every offensive play, which means special can happen at any moment. Xavier's defense is stout and they are a team made up of great athletes - but so is LC's defense.

Xavier will have their hands full with Pella. Would be an exciting matchup if it gets to that point

Both QB #'s pretty comparable. Both have 21 passing TD's. Both have 17-18 rushing TD's. Xavier has something that LC doesn't though. It has a special name called "running back". He takes the brunt of the running plays as another option so the QB doesn't get cremated when he can't throw the ball as much. Unless LC has some tricks up their sleeve, I see them as way too one demensional. Xavier = too many weapons = big cal preps win. We will probably see if computers are right soon enough. It would be a heck of a game.

Both QB #'s pretty comparable. Both have 21 passing TD's. Both have 17-18 rushing TD's. Xavier has something that LC doesn't though. It has a special name called "running back". He takes the brunt of the running plays as another option so the QB doesn't get cremated when he can't throw the ball as much. Unless LC has some tricks up their sleeve, I see them as way too one demensional. Xavier = too many weapons = big cal preps win. We will probably see if computers are right soon enough. It would be a heck of a game.

I'm a big fan of both teams and think Schulte is a hell of football player. He's one of the best football players in the state (any class) he does it all for Xavier, he has an element of nasty that I love. But to say the QB's are comparable is quite a stretch. Not to take anything away from Schulte (again, big fan of the kid), but Duggan is a better runner and thrower. As my old coach said, "film doesn't lie son".

Duggan:

Schulte

To me the unknown is LC schedule. So Xavier has Volk -a 3 star. Hurkett- who is hearing from D1 schools, not sure if he has been offered and committed yet or not -and the QB Quinn who is being recruited at as DB. The top 3 LC players are a 4 star QB in Duggan-Logan Jones lineman on both sides of the ball who has offers from Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota. Nettles is the kicker who has booted one 60 plus in practice and is playing at Iowa State next year ( preferred walk-on)

Duggan isn't really one dimensional, he can throw it a mile and placed at the state track meet I believe in the top 5 in the 200 meters. Dealer's choice.

I would definitely agree that Duggan is a far better runner. The way better passer as well. I was just comparing the stats to explain why a computer would have Xavier with the win. Solon and Pella had several D1 defensive players last year and they both got shredded. I would also argue however that Schulte is not required to run as much. Stovie would probably be a 1500 to 2000 yard rusher if the quarterback wasn't the coach's son padding stats. Every college coach I talked to say he's a step too slow to be considered for D-Back at the highest level. He's just an unbelievable decision maker and a fantastic distributor of the ball. Time will tell but in my mind Xavier wins this match up due to solid quarterback play and a deeper, more talented stable of players.

It would be a great shootout.

LOL at the coach “padding his son’s stats.” Schulte and the first-team offense has played significant time in the second half once this season, against West Delaware. Twice, I think, they didn’t take a snap in the second half. Two or maybe three other games they had one third-quarter series.

Reactions: franky1967
Not what this forum is about but I will comment one time and then move on. I am talking about when the A team is on the field. Stovie has almost 1,000 yards and only 7 tds for his efforts. That is the lowest td number of the top 15 rushers in 3A. And Stovie has higher yards per carry than almost all off them. We all know who is getting the ball near the end zone. The line is just too good for a defense to stop anyone who gets it. Schulte's longest touchdown is only from 21 yards. His next longest is 12 yards. Everything else (the other 15) is 10 yards or less. One game he has 2 touchdowns a with longest TD run being 4 yards. So it is so OBVIOUS he has plenty gifts from the play caller in short distance situations. Do your job is the team getting Schulte in the endzone. I digress.

btw - Duggan averages 12.7 yards per carry. Legend has it his longest TD run was 111 yds. And he ran backwards.

Reactions: Iowasportsnut
LOL at the coach “padding his son’s stats.” Schulte and the first-team offense has played significant time in the second half once this season, against West Delaware. Twice, I think, they didn’t take a snap in the second half. Two or maybe three other games they had one third-quarter series.
They must never have the ball on offense in the second half, if you look at their stats for their lower tier players. Only 15 pass attempts by their back up and not many rushes after the top 3? Realizing that running clock impacts this. I am not sure if Xavier's D is better than last year's, but we will see. Duggan is a level of athlete you can't "not" scheme for on D and you will have to sacrifice something to keep him contained. I have not seen him play, but guessing he is similar, and probably better than Pella's Clayberg from previous years with some bigger horses up front. Very tough to contain, throws better than Clayberg, LCs leading receiver is also a horse at 6' and 200lbs. That's a big boy for corners to hang on to, and he can probably block well on the outside. Looking at overall speed, the edge might also go to LC as their RBs and Receivers are as fast, if not faster than Xaviers (looking at track stats) and Duggan is considerably faster than all of them.

LC has an easier path IMO than Xavier to the Dome. Pella will be a much more physical team than any of the teams in LCs bracket. Just comparing first games Pella or Carroll, you know Duggan won't even play the second half. I'm betting the starters at Xavier will get their first full game tonight. Should be an exciting playoff season. Just think if WD, North Scott, and LC were still in 4A. The playoffs would be much less competitive. Oh and I forgot to mention Heelan and their apparent dark horse strategy they will unveil tonight ;)

I think the romps were in the first round. A lot more tight games in the next few weeks, with an upset or two.

I see Decorah giving Xavier a bit better game if it is not a mud fest of a field.
With the dome on that field, I can't imagine it holding water. It looks like it drops 2ft from center to sideline. Looking at Decorah's stats, I don't think they have a chance. No passing threat. Xavier LBs too good to put up the run yards needed to keep up with Xavier's O.

Reactions: Joepanther90
With the dome on that field, I can't imagine it holding water. It looks like it drops 2ft from center to sideline. Looking at Decorah's stats, I don't think they have a chance. No passing threat. Xavier LBs too good to put up the run yards needed to keep up with Xavier's O.

It is a horrible field. My kids said it was the worst they played on and there were some pretty remote small school fields that were way better. Do they keep it that way as a home field advantage?

Reactions: obfuscating
When they built the school (and the football field) in 1998, the field was basically a swamp. They had to re-build the entire field after the first season, putting in a crown so it could drain properly.

The crown really does its job as far as drainage goes - Saints Field stays in remarkably good shape during wet weather (way better than, say, Thomas Park in Marion or John Wall Field at Prairie before they put in Field Turf). Is the unusual shape of the field somewhat of a home field advantage? Sure. Is it a horrible field to play on? I seriously doubt that - it is unusual, and that would be difficult to adjust to, but “horrible” would be in the eye of the beholder. As I understand it, the crown of the field - definitely noticeable and significant - is still within the guidelines for grade/slope of approved playing surfaces.

There are plenty of people in the Xavier community who would love to see a modern Field Turf facility there (even places like Benton and Vinton-Shellsburg have wonderful turf fields), but regardless of what others think about private parochial schools and their budgets, cost is a rather prohibitive issue.

Reactions: franky1967
the 2 teams listed are probably heavy favorites to meet in the final, i did a cal prep projected matchup

Xavier 31 Lewis Central 10

i as shocked that they came up with this lopsided score, maybe i have xavier under-estimated in the quality of team they have. i know xavier is good, but did not believe they would be such a heavy favorite over lewis central....

we all know lewis central has a very good qb, what does xavier have this year?

Hmmmmm.....not sure where you are seeing that Ron. I just pulled a calprep projection and on a neutral field it was

Xavier 28 Lewis Central 27.

IMO that passes the sniff test better than 31-10.

Ron. Is it possible you pulled Xavier vs Harlan?

Calpreps currently projects that one Xavier 31-14.

Xavier and LC will both put running clocks on the scoreboard

I think Decorah will give Xavier a better game this time. While another 40-point win isn’t impossible, Decorah has been playing a lot better defense the last four weeks than they did the first four weeks.

Looking at Decorah's stats, I don't think they have a chance. No passing threat. Xavier LBs too good to put up the run yards needed to keep up with Xavier's O.

But this is probably true, as well. Decorah averages about 8 passes a game, relying on their ground game. But Xavier is giving up fewer than 50 yards a game rushing. While the Vikings did run for 140+ yards on Xavier in August, they didn’t complete a pass and never got in the end zone. It would be a pretty major upset for Decorah to overcome that defense and actually outscore Xavier ...

... but then I also remember 2015, when a 5-5 Decorah team came to Xavier in the second round and handed the Saints their only loss of the season. This year’s seniors were freshmen then, and I’m sure they remember that game.

Reactions: leeps
whats hard about playing lewis central, u have to play defense to quard against more than just the run. lewis central can easily burn ya with the pass, and then when u watch the pass, they run on ya...duggan is like an extra back, and very quick..also, duggan and simmons are a deadly combination, they have been playing together its seems like for years...simmons will get his yards, just as duggan

Hmmmmm.....not sure where you are seeing that Ron. I just pulled a calprep projection and on a neutral field it was

Xavier 28 Lewis Central 27.

IMO that passes the sniff test better than 31-10.
calpreps has updated it......thanks for the update..i will change it

Well Coach Bladt's wife was quoted as saying Harlan would beat LC and advance to the Dome. I guess we will find out tomorrow night.

My buddy drives by LC and Duggan( coach) is a film freak. It doesn't matter the season, he is always taking it in. I am sure he has watched a ton on Harlan .

I'm not sure what your infering. It's in yesterday's paper. She was quoted as saying the she picked Harlan to win against LC- And why wouldn't she? Could be a long winter in Shelby County if she didn't.

Reactions: stickman80
Watch the film from tonight's game. Schulte was better.
I don't know if he was better, but it sure appeared that in times of need that the play Xavior called left a kid wide open to throw to that Schulte, Duggan, or Conrad could have completed to. I didn't see those wide open players that Duggan could have tossed to. Basically, Xavior had better play calling on offense and a far better defense. Duggan still a better player. LC threw the bomb way too often. Had no momentum...

Reactions: BushWhite
And I have said this before... Schulte is a fantastic distributor of the ball. He certainly did it again...when he had to pass, players were wide open.

Duggan and Schulte are both great football players. It can be a disservice to them to try and argue who's better although I understand the nature of comparisons. Both can play on my team any day of the week.

Duggan and Schulte are both great football players. It can be a disservice to them to try and argue who's better although I understand the nature of comparisons. Both can play on my team any day of the week.
Duggan has frame, speed and arm over Schulte. So he has the better potential. LCs linebackers made Schulte look great last night. I was surprised how vacant that next level was. Both Schulte and Stovie are patient runners, but it seemed as if the LB level of LC evaporated every time Xavier ran the ball. They also manhandled the LC defense without Volk and without their leading receiver on the year. That receiver was the only one who scored in the Pella game. I didn't see LC's Iowa recruit DT making that much noise either. He had a couple of nice plays, but it did not appear that Xavier was running away from him. Half of Schulte and stovies runs were up the middle. It reminded me of last year's Solon/Xavier game where again you had multiple D1 caliber players on Solon D and Xavier ran all over them. In the Pella game Schulte and Stovie combined for only 112yds. Last night they had 263. Defense wins championships and Xavier will show that. They have good players on offense, but their Defense can cripple even a 4-star dual threat QB with an all-state level receiver.

I was surprised how vacant that next level was. Both Schulte and Stovie are patient runners, but it seemed as if the LB level of LC evaporated every time Xavier ran the ball.

This is a good observation, although I’d posit that Xavier’s blocking & game plan had something to do with the linebackers “evaporating.” Simmons, the LC safety, had to be the leading tackler on the night, and that appeared to be extremely unusual for the Titans. He wasn’t among the top 12 or 15 tacklers on the team coming into the game.

This is a good observation, although I’d posit that Xavier’s blocking & game plan had something to do with the linebackers “evaporating.” Simmons, the LC safety, had to be the leading tackler on the night, and that appeared to be extremely unusual for the Titans. He wasn’t among the top 12 or 15 tacklers on the team coming into the game.
Not taking away from Xavier's front, but I don't think there was anything creative in Xavier's run scheme. 2 options Stovie or Schulte. With all the hype about LC's D, I was expecting more. (As I was the previous year with Solon). Both are good running backs, but neither IMO at the level of runner that MWilson was. Schulte didn't even really have to develop a passing game to keep them honest. Also losing Volk is big. I understand Xavier is next man in, but that's hard to replace and still didn't notice any drop in performance. I would expect more from my LBs, and yes you are having a bad day, when a team really isn't passing and your FS is the leading tackler. Credit to Simmons though, he was a good player that lived up to the hype. He had some nice catches and was definitely an impact player.

I think that WD has better LBs, but I think their front 3/4 are not as strong as LC and Xavier will again get their yards on the ground. IF WD can limit that, I don't think they have the DBs to stop Xavier pass. So either way, not much of a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT