ADVERTISEMENT

Letter Signing

fb4ages

Freshman
Mar 28, 2004
If you have info. on where some of our talented athletes are going, please post. I see Kyle Dunn (Linn-Mar) is signing with Arkansas.

I heard Dunn was released from Arkansas. Any truth to that?

Also, Shelby Houlihan is running at Arizona State.

She's signed to play basketball at Northwestern in Orange City.

http://www.nwcraiders.com/wbasketball/news/5216
This post was edited on 5/26 3:05 PM by chsrunner1

She is planning on playing basketball at Northwestern in Orange city??? I don't want to knock them at all, but she could go run D1 track at the school of her choice. Schools cant give away all the track scholarships for girls, guys its a different story. I guess, to each her own.

I'd agree in that Hudson could no doubt could run D1 track, but no way she would she get any more than a partial scholarship. D-I schools have zero problems handing out their scholarship money (ex Iowa St has 45 girls on their T&F roster).

At Northwestern, let's hope her bb coach lets her get on the track when the bb season is done.

Originally posted by i am the runner:
She is planning on playing basketball at Northwestern in Orange city??? I don't want to knock them at all, but she could go run D1 track at the school of her choice. Schools cant give away all the track scholarships for girls, guys its a different story. I guess, to each her own.

DI womens track can still just offer 18 scholarships, and that includes combined with the cross country program. (Men have 12.6)

So as stated before, at best you're hoping for a partial, and some of those partials aren't a very big percentage.

Ok, I know right from the horses mouth about girl scholarships that they cant give them all away. I have been at meets with D1 coaches and they have told me straight up, I could give out 6 full rides to girls today and not have to even call back to ok it with the head coach.

She could go full ride to some D1, you have to think outside of Iowa, there are lots of d1 schools that dont even fill out the entire roster. She could go somewhere, but she isnt. Which is fine, to each her own. Best of luck.

The limit of 18 was taken directly from the NCAA web site. So I suppose if a college team has less than 18 girls on their roster, then it would be correct that they can't even give them all away.

That would be a really small team.

I still don't believe you on a school not being able to hand out all of their scholarship money at the D-1 level. Tuition has continued to have huge increases everywhere, but then again maybe that coach you are talking about is just that bad.

Originally posted by i am the runner:
Ok, I know right from the horses mouth about girl scholarships that they cant give them all away. I have been at meets with D1 coaches and they have told me straight up, I could give out 6 full rides to girls today and not have to even call back to ok it with the head coach.

She could go full ride to some D1, you have to think outside of Iowa, there are lots of d1 schools that dont even fill out the entire roster. She could go somewhere, but she isnt. Which is fine, to each her own. Best of luck.

I am going to take I am the Runner's side on this. I don't know how many of you competed in college, at any level. But, very very few people get a full ride. An 8:55 two miler will not sniff a full ride. The only people that will get full rides are people that could come in right away and score pts at a national meet. Women, with 18 full scholarship, can probably spread that out to 40-45 girls easy, and have room to spare.

Iowa has some outstanding Juco track and field i've notice they have put a lot kids in D-1 Schools the last couple years.

There was a good article in the Des Moines Register on Sunday about track and field athletes competing and their scholarships/stipends. Anybody read it or know what changes the NCAA is thinking about making to the scholarship process?

It was UNI and it was in 2009 at the Arizona state meet, the same meet that Gio was offered his full ride to come and run.

Nice to know he is going to ISU. Significantly better chance now of dropping some great times compared to going to northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT