ADVERTISEMENT

Let's start the 3a tourney over

Troll what ? Reality , embrace it. High School athletics do not have to be run like your weekend youth tournaments that are so in vogue and worthless.

Using your bracket and assuming the higher seeds won, the results would be pretty much the same as the results of the actual existing IAHSAA bracket, except for swapping out MOC with Xavier.

I understand the excercise and don't disagree that seeding changes might be needed. Just interesting that the state bracket results aren't that much different from a re-seeding.

We all know the state's attempt is to find the best team, not necessarily the best match-ups.

I agree with the Strength of Sched. and I agree with the Wahlert prediction, but you can't just subjectively say their schedule is easier. Its no different with SL or MOC.

How did you come up with your seeding? It looks like you used the 1st round games as your base, which isn't possible considering seeding is done prior to the state tourney.

Why did Wahlert get the #1 seed over Pella?

Why did you put MOC-FV at #3? Who did they beat in the regular season to justify being ahead of the other teams? Should they be ahead of an Xavier team that had 5 more losses, but 7 of their 8 losses were to a 4A school. MOC-FV lost twice to a good 1A school that didn't make the state tourney and 1 vs the likely 2A champ.

How about Perry? They had 9 losses, yet are still above Spirit Lake who lost only 3.

It's easy to make suggestions after the games are played, but you provided zero solutions as to how the seeding process could be adjusted in a way that could be replicated without bias.

Here are the real seeding and pairings
#1 Wahlert vs # 8 Solon
# 2 Pella vs # 7 Spirit Lake
#3 MOC vs # 6 Perry
#4 Chariton vs #5 Xavier

Perfect

Last edited:
Reactions: ustabe
Using your bracket and assuming the higher seeds won, the results would be pretty much the same as the results of the actual existing IAHSAA bracket, except for swapping out MOC with Xavier.

I understand the excercise and don't disagree that seeding changes might be needed. Just interesting that the state bracket results aren't that much different from a re-seeding.

We all know the state's attempt is to find the best team, not necessarily the best match-ups.
MOC disagrees , big difference winning a 1st round game at state than losing one. MOC would destroy everyone but DW, Pella, and Xavier would be a 10 pt MOC win.

MOC disagrees , big difference winning a 1st round game at state than losing one. MOC would destroy everyone but DW, Pella, and Xavier would be a 10 pt MOC win.

I agree that MOC is probably the 2nd best team that went down to the State Tourney in 3A this year. This happened a few years back in 1A. Newell Fonda was probably the 2nd best team in 1A and got the 1 seed. West Lyon was the best team in 1A and because of their schedule and losses got an 8 seed. Newell and West Lyon played in the first round in a good game. West Lyon blew everyone out after that in a route to the State Title.

Not sure I agree, Jansen is great, and Korver can hit 3s, but again against Pella they would be playing (running) the entire game. Not sure I would be as quick to put them as #2 in the Tourney. Easily top 4.

Here are the real seeding and pairings
#1 Wahlert vs # 8 Solon
# 2 Pella vs # 7 Spirit Lake
#3 MOC vs # 6 Perry
#4 Chariton vs #5 Xavier

Perfect

Oh my gosh, fans in the northwest are so delusional, lol. Chariton, Pella, Xavier and Wahlert are the four best teams in 3A. Everyone outside of the northwest could see that all year. Every year there are fans of northwest teams complaining about seeding and districts and talking up that region and every year they get bounced by teams from central and eastern Iowa. Every. Single. Year.

Oh my gosh, fans in the northwest are so delusional, lol. Chariton, Pella, Xavier and Wahlert are the four best teams in 3A. Everyone outside of the northwest could see that all year. Every year there are fans of northwest teams complaining about seeding and districts and talking up that region and every year they get bounced by teams from central and eastern Iowa. Every. Single. Year.
Like usual your statements don't hold water.

State Champs the past 8 years..
2008 - Wahlert (eastern)
2009 - Heelan (NW)
2010 - Heelan (NW)
2011 - Heelan (NW)
2012 - Mount Pleasant (eastern?)
2013 - Waverly SR (central?)
2014 - Wahlert (eastern)
2015 - Wahlert (eastern)

Heelan took 3rd in 2012 after knocking out #1 seed MOC and I think MOC took 3rd in 2013?
Except for 2 years Heelan and Wahlert knocked out everyone they played.

About the only way to set up the IHSAA tourney is how they do it, by record. Nobody has seen every team play and rankings (human and computer) are controversial. You could do it by geography but sometimes the two best teams are right next to each other. Even though the pairings sometimes (okay--usually) end up being pretty crazy, usually (not always) the best teams move on. I think at least four of the best five teams have moved to the semis. MOC-FV played a sensational game, no doubt, but that's the way it is in tournaments and in conferences. Sometimes teams just play out of their minds, or at a different level. Usually, the best team ends up winning it all, but sometimes the best team gets upset. How can one predict that MOC could shoot almost 100% over a six or seven-minute stretch? Personally, I think Waverly-Shell Rock is better than half the teams in the 3A tourney, and they didn't even get to Des Moines. This is all fun to talk about, but I think the IHSAA's hands are tied and they have to set pairings in the most predictable manner-- by record. I can tell you one thing, no matter which team wins the championship in 3A, an awful lot of people are going to think that two or three other teams were just as good or better. I personally don't see how anybody is going to beat Pella, but who knows, somebody might.

I would like to see how the seedings would of looked using power point system . Similar to what they use for district tie breakers. You get rewarded for beating 4a teams but not penalized for losing to one. Iowa has plenty of smart people that can come up with the right formula that's fair. It's just tough with some 3A teams playing mostly 4a teams and some playing most 2a teams.

2008 - Wahlert (eastern)
2009 - Heelan (NW)
2010 - Heelan (NW)
2011 - Heelan (NW)
2014 - Wahlert (eastern)
2015 - Wahlert (eastern)

Heelan took 3rd in 2012 after knocking out #1 seed MOC and I think MOC took 3rd in 2013?
Well besides this LOL

2008 - Wahlert (eastern)
2009 - Heelan (NW)
2010 - Heelan (NW)
2011 - Heelan (NW)
2014 - Wahlert (eastern)
2015 - Wahlert (eastern)

So one team (a private school, no less) wins the title out of NW Iowa so my statement is wrong? Try again. 2011 was a loooong time ago.

2008 - Wahlert (eastern)
2009 - Heelan (NW)
2010 - Heelan (NW)
2011 - Heelan (NW)
2014 - Wahlert (eastern)
2015 - Wahlert (eastern)

And BTW, you can add 2016 to that list since all the NW teams are out. That's 5 years in a row your mighty region has fell short, but still you talk more trash than the rest of Iowa combined.

2008 - Wahlert (eastern)
2009 - Heelan (NW)
2010 - Heelan (NW)
2011 - Heelan (NW)
2014 - Wahlert (eastern)
2015 - Wahlert (eastern)

I find this interesting...and of course the private schools don't recruit!...what a joke

Did Pella lose to the first decent team they had to play since the beginning of district play ? again.
No more free rides to state for Pella, they have had enough.

And BTW, you can add 2016 to that list since all the NW teams are out. That's 5 years in a row your mighty region has fell short, but still you talk more trash than the rest of Iowa combined.
Guy, you said NW Iowa teams get beat Every. Single. Year. so I pointed out Heelan lost once in a 4 year stretch at state.. why don't you try backing something up with facts.

Funny you post this while chastising youth tournaments because you sound just like a youth parent who's crying because little baby didn't get a 3rd place medal. It's the State CHAMPIONSHIP.
And it last all week do you think teams want to watch the Boone boyz honor their bald fat gimpy bad officials or play a little more basketball.

Waverly is easily the 3rd best 3A team in the state this year. Unfortunately they got matched up with Wahlert in the substate.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT