ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Recruiting Begin... Plus some MAC predictions way to early

If AAU is the be all end all and HS plays a limited role for players than why move schools? For 25 games when you play tons more AAU games. I was pretty involved in the traveling athletics routine with my kids. Had parents and coaches talk about their schools and 'wouldn't it be cool if these guys all played together' never really thought seriously about moving them. So to each their own and in your eyes I don't get it.
It’s been explained over and over and you are missing the point anyway

So he is enrolling at the school district he resides in?
Not convinced it was tuition. I know that is what he said but he has been at that school for some time and tuition has been paid in previous years. Perhaps there was a job loss or financial hardship(I hope that is not the case) but even so there are tuition assistance programs students and families can apply for and they are awarded on need. So the tuition reason doesn't really stick for me. He wanted to play in a bigger school, in a tougher conference and that is totally fine. This decision will most likely help him out in the long run. Just don't use the tuition thing as an excuse because help is available for families in need.

Reactions: obfuscating
Not convinced it was tuition. I know that is what he said but he has been at that school for some time and tuition has been paid in previous years. Perhaps there was a job loss or financial hardship(I hope that is not the case) but even so there are tuition assistance programs students and families can apply for and they are awarded on need. So the tuition reason doesn't really stick for me. He wanted to play in a bigger school, in a tougher conference and that is totally fine. This decision will most likely help him out in the long run. Just don't use the tuition thing as an excuse because help is available for families in need.
My reply was for Hawki45

My original point is that hs coaches are not doing the recruiting. Let’s put that to bed first

I would agree with that. I think there is some indirect involvement but the work is done through the kids and parents.

I thought the sarcasm was more subtle...lol... it is a different mindset, my goal for my kids was to provide 'home' for high school, a place they could always come back to. Is it really a huge difference to average 17 points a game vs 10 when you give up your friends? To get more attention from a bigger college? Unless you are elite and maybe these kids are elite or think they are I just don't get it.

they think they are and their parents fuel that fantasy.

Reactions: obfuscating
Prep school is a big thing nowadays... He was also young enough to technically be a junior instead of a senior. Sometimes parents will keep them up a grade for education and competition reasons if possible. I know Dav North has two other very good young players who could be a grade lower based on age, but they will not reclassify either. Better to get the education done and have the option after high school is finished to decide on college or prep school.

This happened 2 years ago when Corey Lamonte from Davenport North went to Quakerdale Prep School after high school.

Kids from Quakerdale have gotten D1 scholarships and done well at D1 level. Western Michigan. New Mexico State, Boston College, and Sam Houston State... Others take the JUCO route and get bigger scholarships after that.

Hillcrest Prep has had some more notable players... Tony Snell, Gary Payton II, Greg Smith, Jamaal Franklin(All made NBA teams and Snell was #20 pick)... Loyola, Nebraska, TCU, California, and Washington State 2X scholarship players.

Update on some recruiting. Iowa Barnstormers Quincy Wiseman transferred from Davenport North to play with a friend at Dubuque Hempstead instead of CR Kennedy. His brother who is a D1 football prospect and freshman to be from the Barnstormers as well is still attending Davenport North and his family remains in Davenport...

This past weekend both teams were at a tournament in Wisconsin along with Iowa City High and West Fork. Hempstead, North, and IC Higjh finished 2nd in pool play. West Fork 3rd. North beat Stoughton who was first in Hempstead's pool.

Hempstead went 1-2 with losses to Stoughton and Madison La Foulette(Runners Up) in first round Championship bracket.

IC High went 1-2 with losses to Mt. Horeb(Semifinalists) in Championship bracket and Madison East(Champions).

Davenport North went 3-2 with losses to Madison La Foulette(Semifinalists) in pool play and Madison East(Champions) in semifinals.

West Fork was 2-3 overall. Finishing 1-2 pool play with losses to Mt. Horeb(Semifinalists) and Cuba City. 1-1 in Consolation bracket losing to Barnveld(3rd place team in Hempstead's pool who lost by 5 and 6 points in games) in the Championship by 2.

I was at the tournament and some officials there had worked at Verona, Wisconsin the day before and talked about how impressed they were by Dubuque Senior...

A transfer isn't always a positive for a team. A kid who has worked his butt off to make a lineup is suddenly in danger of losing a spot. Kids that have played together for years can have a great chemistry put in danger by a new kid who shows up junior or senior year and isn't a great fit, despite certain skills. Sometimes a transfer doesn't even want to be with the new team; it's because dad got transfered to a new job, and there's a lot of family stress. While transfers can give many teams a boost, sometimes it works the other way.

I think it will prove to be the wrong move, but the family made the choice to let him move up there... He was with the Davenport North Sophomores all through grade school. They didn't lose in middle school and won state as 7th graders, so the choice to leave really doesn't make sense to me. However, North has an abundance of guards and wings the next 3 years. I don't know that he would be starting varsity at North this year, but I would think he would be starting or first guy off the bench had he stayed at North.

I heard that North Scott won the Sharp Shootout, which is a great accomplishment for a relatively young team. What other teams were there and who looked good(team wise and individually)? Was hoping to get over there to watch some games but didn't.

I heard that North Scott won the Sharp Shootout, which is a great accomplishment for a relatively young team. What other teams were there and who looked good(team wise and individually)? Was hoping to get over there to watch some games but didn't.
I didn't get off work for the event...

Waukee, Iowa City West, Davenport Assumption, CR Washington, Dav North, North Scott, Pleasant Valley, Bettendorf, Dav Central, Linn Mar, Maquoketa, and Camanche were Iowa teams. 12 out of 28 teams.

I don't know if all teams had everyone the entire tournament, but I know some big names were present. McCaffery and Carton most notable.

Rundown...
Linn Mar was Top of the bracket. Beat Rockridge, lost to Bettendorf, beat Maquoketa, lost to PV, and beat CR Wash. 3-2 with losses to both MAC opponents.

Bettendorf beat Rock Falls, Linn Mar, Rock Island, and Iowa City West before losing the Championship to North Scott. 4-1 with loss to North Scott. 2nd place. Runners Up

Maquoketa beat East Peoria, lost to Rock Island, lost to Linn Mar, beat Dav Central, and beat Galesburg. 3-2 against bigger school competition.

Davenport Central beat Rockford Guilford, lost to Iowa City West, lost by 1 to PV, lost to Maquoketa, and beat Sterling. 2-3 close wins and losses except IC West game was a blowout.

Iowa City West beat Kewanee, beat Dav Central, beat Moline, lost to Bettendorf, and lost to Waukee. 3-2 with losses to 2nd and 3rd place teams. 4th Place

Cedar Rapids Washington beat Verona Area(Wisconsin), lost to Dav Assumption, beat Galesburg, lost to United Township, and lost to Linn Mar. 2-3 lost both Iowa games.

Davenport Assumption beat United Township(East Moline)- Orange, beat CR Washington, lost to North Scott(by 36 points), lost to Moline, and beat Rock Island. 3-2 split with Iowa teams and took 2 of 3 from Illinois Quad City teams. 7th place.

North Scott beat Sterling Newman, Galesburg, Assumption, Waukee, and Bettendorf on the way to the Title. Closest games were 9 point wins over Galesburg and Waukee. Beat Bettendorf by 13 in the Title. 3rd and 4th largest wins by 36 and 37 points. EYES ON TY ANDERSON. Junior-To-Be will be a versatile piece for North Scott. He's a Garfield Middle School kid from Davenport who moved to North Scott at start of high school. 1st place. Champions

Davenport North lost to Sterling, beat Camanche, beat Verona Area(WI), and beat Rockford Guilford. 3-1 winning the Consolation bracket. Close games across the board for the most part. Lost by 9, won by 4, won by 7, and won by 13. Consolation Champs

Waukee beat Sherrard, beat Sterling, beat DeKalb, lost to North Scott, and beat Iowa City West. Big margins of victory by 18, 18, 24, and 46. Lost to North Scott by 9. 3rd place

Camanche lost to DeKalb, beat Sherrard, lost to Dav North, lost to Sterling Newman, and forfeit to Kewanee. 1-4(Technically) 1-3(Without forfeit). Not a good showing due to Sherrard being the only team 0-4 as the only win.

Iowa Team Rankings based on my analyzing the results...
North Scott
Waukee
Bettendorf
Iowa City West
Dav Assumption
Pleasant Valley
Linn Mar
CR Washington
Dav North
Maquoketa
Dav Central
Camanche

Notable players you may not have heard of from the MAC:
Tytan(Ty) Anderson- North Scott
Cortavious Seales- North Scott
Sam Kilburg- North Scott
Sean Peeters- Dav Assumption
Keyshawn Pegues- Dav Central
Diontrel Wommack- Dav Central
Lucas Hayes- Bettendorf
TJ Vesey- Dav North
Mekki Sisk- Dav North
Jamal Litt- Dav North
Carter Cline- Pleasant Valley
Oliver Bakeris- Bettendorf
Jayden Houston- Dav North

Probably missing some, but these are some younger guys, guys who were role players last year, or overlooked due to other leading the team. They will likely be bigger contributors to the teams.

I didn't get off work for the event...

Waukee, Iowa City West, Davenport Assumption, CR Washington, Dav North, North Scott, Pleasant Valley, Bettendorf, Dav Central, Linn Mar, Maquoketa, and Camanche were Iowa teams. 12 out of 28 teams.

I don't know if all teams had everyone the entire tournament, but I know some big names were present. McCaffery and Carton most notable.

Rundown...
Linn Mar was Top of the bracket. Beat Rockridge, lost to Bettendorf, beat Maquoketa, lost to PV, and beat CR Wash. 3-2 with losses to both MAC opponents.

Bettendorf beat Rock Falls, Linn Mar, Rock Island, and Iowa City West before losing the Championship to North Scott. 4-1 with loss to North Scott. 2nd place. Runners Up

Maquoketa beat East Peoria, lost to Rock Island, lost to Linn Mar, beat Dav Central, and beat Galesburg. 3-2 against bigger school competition.

Davenport Central beat Rockford Guilford, lost to Iowa City West, lost by 1 to PV, lost to Maquoketa, and beat Sterling. 2-3 close wins and losses except IC West game was a blowout.

Iowa City West beat Kewanee, beat Dav Central, beat Moline, lost to Bettendorf, and lost to Waukee. 3-2 with losses to 2nd and 3rd place teams. 4th Place

Cedar Rapids Washington beat Verona Area(Wisconsin), lost to Dav Assumption, beat Galesburg, lost to United Township, and lost to Linn Mar. 2-3 lost both Iowa games.

Davenport Assumption beat United Township(East Moline)- Orange, beat CR Washington, lost to North Scott(by 36 points), lost to Moline, and beat Rock Island. 3-2 split with Iowa teams and took 2 of 3 from Illinois Quad City teams. 7th place.

North Scott beat Sterling Newman, Galesburg, Assumption, Waukee, and Bettendorf on the way to the Title. Closest games were 9 point wins over Galesburg and Waukee. Beat Bettendorf by 13 in the Title. 3rd and 4th largest wins by 36 and 37 points. EYES ON TY ANDERSON. Junior-To-Be will be a versatile piece for North Scott. He's a Garfield Middle School kid from Davenport who moved to North Scott at start of high school. 1st place. Champions

Davenport North lost to Sterling, beat Camanche, beat Verona Area(WI), and beat Rockford Guilford. 3-1 winning the Consolation bracket. Close games across the board for the most part. Lost by 9, won by 4, won by 7, and won by 13. Consolation Champs

Waukee beat Sherrard, beat Sterling, beat DeKalb, lost to North Scott, and beat Iowa City West. Big margins of victory by 18, 18, 24, and 46. Lost to North Scott by 9. 3rd place

Camanche lost to DeKalb, beat Sherrard, lost to Dav North, lost to Sterling Newman, and forfeit to Kewanee. 1-4(Technically) 1-3(Without forfeit). Not a good showing due to Sherrard being the only team 0-4 as the only win.

Iowa Team Rankings based on my analyzing the results...
North Scott
Waukee
Bettendorf
Iowa City West
Dav Assumption
Pleasant Valley
Linn Mar
CR Washington
Dav North
Maquoketa
Dav Central
Camanche

Notable players you may not have heard of from the MAC:
Tytan(Ty) Anderson- North Scott
Cortavious Seales- North Scott
Sam Kilburg- North Scott
Sean Peeters- Dav Assumption
Keyshawn Pegues- Dav Central
Diontrel Wommack- Dav Central
Lucas Hayes- Bettendorf
TJ Vesey- Dav North
Mekki Sisk- Dav North
Jamal Litt- Dav North
Carter Cline- Pleasant Valley
Oliver Bakeris- Bettendorf
Jayden Houston- Dav North

Probably missing some, but these are some younger guys, guys who were role players last year, or overlooked due to other leading the team. They will likely be bigger contributors to the teams.

Thanks for the rundown. Sounds like it should be a strong year at the top of The MAC. North Scott is one of the best coached teams in the state, couple that with some solid vets and young talent...they should be in the mix for the 4A title this year. Hope that state splits them and Bettendorf up this year...would love to see DJ and crew play at state.

Here is my way to early Top 10 in Class 4A:
1) IC West- McCaffery and Brauns form arguably the best front line in the state. Solid role players around them
2) Dubuque Senior- Carter and crew have balance and motivation after missing out on The Well last year.
3) North Scott- my pick to win it all.
4) Valley- Williams and Berg along with a bevy of skilled athletes
5) Waukee- Will this be the year they finally break through? Have pieces to win it all
6) Cedar Falls- Defending champs lose a superstar in Green, but return solid core and young talent
7) Bettendorf- Best PG in the Midwest, great coaching, and plenty of solid athletes.
8) Sioux City East- Excellent coaching, guard play with Vanderloo, they know how to get it done.
9) Linn Mar- They are due to get back to The Well again. Talented guards along with Hutcheson.
10) Des Moines North- Locure and crew are always dangerous...do they commit to playing D finally?

Teams to watch:
- CR. Kennedy
- Pleasant Valley

Here is my way to early Top 10 in Class 4A:
1) IC West- McCaffery and Brauns form arguably the best front line in the state. Solid role players around them
2) Dubuque Senior- Carter and crew have balance and motivation after missing out on The Well last year.
3) North Scott- my pick to win it all.
4) Valley- Williams and Berg along with a bevy of skilled athletes
5) Waukee- Will this be the year they finally break through? Have pieces to win it all
6) Cedar Falls- Defending champs lose a superstar in Green, but return solid core and young talent
7) Bettendorf- Best PG in the Midwest, great coaching, and plenty of solid athletes.
8) Sioux City East- Excellent coaching, guard play with Vanderloo, they know how to get it done.
9) Linn Mar- They are due to get back to The Well again. Talented guards along with Hutcheson.
10) Des Moines North- Locure and crew are always dangerous...do they commit to playing D finally?

Teams to watch:
- CR. Kennedy
- Pleasant Valley

Solid list... I can't say I disagree with any of these right now, but teams are missing guys and chemistry due to baseball and AAU. I think we will have big changes early in the season to some of these teams.

If I put a similar list together based on what I've seen...
1---IC West- Hard to look at this team and not see them as favorites... Eldridge, Pepin, McCaffery, Brauns, and even young guys like Morgan could contribute. I don't think Pepin from Waterloo West adds anything to the team except experience. I think they could have gotten similar contributions from younger guys without him transferring.

2--- Cedar Falls- I watched this team handle opponents at the UNI camp last weekend without Logan Wolf. Frericks, Ollendieck, Corbat, and company bring plenty of versatility and contributions to that team people will overlook because Green and Wolf were the main guys last year. Corbat(Sophomore) is a monstrous post who was very skinny and not comfortable with his body as a freshman. He looks stronger and he holds his own against opponents in the post. He battled Tyler Endres from Norwalk(Iowa OL football commit) 6'6 280lb and was very effective and efficient against him. Endres is no slouch of an athlete as he has quick feet and can dunk with ease at the size.

3--- Dubuque Senior- I think a few teams have size that can match up with Carter in the post, but the way he has dominated and learned to maneuver his body through and around guys as well as being in great position constantly I think he's one of those "contain him" guys that you plan for as a coach. Compliment that with good guard play and you have a Title contender that just needs to put the final pieces together.

4--- North Scott- I am putting them here for 2 reasons. Reason 1 Coach Budde is a heck of a strategic coach and I respect him for it, but he gets away with yelling at referees on a similar level to Tom Izzo... He knows how to adjust to his personnel and he knows how to appease the officials to get in his opinion without a technical. Reason 2 Ty Anderson is going to be a very good player that people will know about soon enough. He's a very quiet and calm demeanor player and person. When he plays he just works and eventually he will be the guy they turn to for playmaking and given what I've seen from his role play he will excel as the Star.

5--- Waukee- This team will be the nightmare for teams without post depth. The guards are solid and the spot up shooting is superb, but it comes to post play for them. They need to get the post guys involved more. Teams like North Scott beat them because they are solid defensively and rather than using a size advantage Waukee will settle for perimeter shooting at times. I personally like to watch this team play, but they lack a killer instinct and that is what would be the downfall. 2 times at UNI camp I saw them blow or nearly blow leads that should not have been close to overcome.

6--- Des Moines North- This team is going to be a problem for a lot of teams. I look at schools like SCE and Bettendorf and I think the guards for North can give them enough issues that it will be tough for the Stars on those teams to be able to shine. Locure, Allen, Malual, and Bijiek being the core of the team. Keep an eye on Malik Allen as he is going to be Locure' predecessor as the Star for North.

7--- Sioux City East- Losing Rees is definitely going to hurt, but the depth and size in the program will not allow that departure to have a major impact on them. Led by Vanderloo as a Senior I would expect Keck and Dunson to step up into solid contributors this year.

8--- Bettendorf- The hype is all about Carton and similar to last year it is a matter of limitation or containment. He is on the same level as Weiskamp when it comes to dominating a basketball game offensively. The teams who will have the most success will likely throw multiple looks at him to throw him off. I could potentially see the "let him do all the scoring" strategy working. I haven't seen Isaiah Rivera playing with him yet, but that would be the main reason I don't foresee that being a successful strategy. Rivera is an extremely solid player who will eventually garner some D1 offers as well. To compliment it all is post player Lucas Hayes who is literally a wall inside.

9--- West Des Moines Valley- I don't know much about them outside of Williams. I have seen him in action a few times. I was debating between Valley or Centennial in this spot. I decided on Valley due to beating Centennial 3 times last year and Centennial kept all the size, but lost the guards.

10--- CR Kennedy/CR Prairie- I think you can go either way with this one. Kennedy will have a broad range of decent players to contribute to the team. Prairie will be led by the Murray brothers and that will give them a nice boost against anyone, but the question is will the get help. Kennedy has athleticism and Prairie has size.

Notables:
CR Jefferson has Willie Guy as a Senior and some solid youth coming up that could get them some notable wins.

Pleasant Valley for the first time in a long time will be known for guards rather that wings or posts. Duwa and Snyder will lead them, but they are going to need some big help from the youth in the program as well.

Ankeny Centennial is a team that I love the size they have but the guards are gone, so you wonder if they can stay solid.

Waterloo West is another team that could make some noise. Isaiah Johnson will be a force in the MVC if he wants to be. Lots of potential on the team, but sometimes they play very lax and almost soft. They have some very agile posts, but like Prairie they seem afraid of the contact at times.

Waterloo East I don't think will be a title contender, but they could hover at Top 10 most of the year. They were young last year and played very solid at UNI camp. They cause a lot of havoc for opponents, so even when they are losing they are never really out of it. When they are winning you have to stop the bleeding before the game gets away.

My sleeper of this coming year:
Ames with the freshman coming in and the players they have returning I could see this team starting to put together some wins if they have some solid coaching. Kellogg, Mumm, and Krapfl leading the team... Lipsey could likely come play varsity as a freshman if he's as good as advertised.

I have heard Eldridge is no longer at IC West, so that will hurt them a little. Also I would include DM Hoover in the top 10 somewhere.

Solid list... I can't say I disagree with any of these right now, but teams are missing guys and chemistry due to baseball and AAU. I think we will have big changes early in the season to some of these teams.

If I put a similar list together based on what I've seen...
1---IC West- Hard to look at this team and not see them as favorites... Eldridge, Pepin, McCaffery, Brauns, and even young guys like Morgan could contribute. I don't think Pepin from Waterloo West adds anything to the team except experience. I think they could have gotten similar contributions from younger guys without him transferring.

2--- Cedar Falls- I watched this team handle opponents at the UNI camp last weekend without Logan Wolf. Frericks, Ollendieck, Corbat, and company bring plenty of versatility and contributions to that team people will overlook because Green and Wolf were the main guys last year. Corbat(Sophomore) is a monstrous post who was very skinny and not comfortable with his body as a freshman. He looks stronger and he holds his own against opponents in the post. He battled Tyler Endres from Norwalk(Iowa OL football commit) 6'6 280lb and was very effective and efficient against him. Endres is no slouch of an athlete as he has quick feet and can dunk with ease at the size.

3--- Dubuque Senior- I think a few teams have size that can match up with Carter in the post, but the way he has dominated and learned to maneuver his body through and around guys as well as being in great position constantly I think he's one of those "contain him" guys that you plan for as a coach. Compliment that with good guard play and you have a Title contender that just needs to put the final pieces together.

4--- North Scott- I am putting them here for 2 reasons. Reason 1 Coach Budde is a heck of a strategic coach and I respect him for it, but he gets away with yelling at referees on a similar level to Tom Izzo... He knows how to adjust to his personnel and he knows how to appease the officials to get in his opinion without a technical. Reason 2 Ty Anderson is going to be a very good player that people will know about soon enough. He's a very quiet and calm demeanor player and person. When he plays he just works and eventually he will be the guy they turn to for playmaking and given what I've seen from his role play he will excel as the Star.

5--- Waukee- This team will be the nightmare for teams without post depth. The guards are solid and the spot up shooting is superb, but it comes to post play for them. They need to get the post guys involved more. Teams like North Scott beat them because they are solid defensively and rather than using a size advantage Waukee will settle for perimeter shooting at times. I personally like to watch this team play, but they lack a killer instinct and that is what would be the downfall. 2 times at UNI camp I saw them blow or nearly blow leads that should not have been close to overcome.

6--- Des Moines North- This team is going to be a problem for a lot of teams. I look at schools like SCE and Bettendorf and I think the guards for North can give them enough issues that it will be tough for the Stars on those teams to be able to shine. Locure, Allen, Malual, and Bijiek being the core of the team. Keep an eye on Malik Allen as he is going to be Locure' predecessor as the Star for North.

7--- Sioux City East- Losing Rees is definitely going to hurt, but the depth and size in the program will not allow that departure to have a major impact on them. Led by Vanderloo as a Senior I would expect Keck and Dunson to step up into solid contributors this year.

8--- Bettendorf- The hype is all about Carton and similar to last year it is a matter of limitation or containment. He is on the same level as Weiskamp when it comes to dominating a basketball game offensively. The teams who will have the most success will likely throw multiple looks at him to throw him off. I could potentially see the "let him do all the scoring" strategy working. I haven't seen Isaiah Rivera playing with him yet, but that would be the main reason I don't foresee that being a successful strategy. Rivera is an extremely solid player who will eventually garner some D1 offers as well. To compliment it all is post player Lucas Hayes who is literally a wall inside.

9--- West Des Moines Valley- I don't know much about them outside of Williams. I have seen him in action a few times. I was debating between Valley or Centennial in this spot. I decided on Valley due to beating Centennial 3 times last year and Centennial kept all the size, but lost the guards.

10--- CR Kennedy/CR Prairie- I think you can go either way with this one. Kennedy will have a broad range of decent players to contribute to the team. Prairie will be led by the Murray brothers and that will give them a nice boost against anyone, but the question is will the get help. Kennedy has athleticism and Prairie has size.

Notables:
CR Jefferson has Willie Guy as a Senior and some solid youth coming up that could get them some notable wins.

Pleasant Valley for the first time in a long time will be known for guards rather that wings or posts. Duwa and Snyder will lead them, but they are going to need some big help from the youth in the program as well.

Ankeny Centennial is a team that I love the size they have but the guards are gone, so you wonder if they can stay solid.

Waterloo West is another team that could make some noise. Isaiah Johnson will be a force in the MVC if he wants to be. Lots of potential on the team, but sometimes they play very lax and almost soft. They have some very agile posts, but like Prairie they seem afraid of the contact at times.

Waterloo East I don't think will be a title contender, but they could hover at Top 10 most of the year. They were young last year and played very solid at UNI camp. They cause a lot of havoc for opponents, so even when they are losing they are never really out of it. When they are winning you have to stop the bleeding before the game gets away.

My sleeper of this coming year:
Ames with the freshman coming in and the players they have returning I could see this team starting to put together some wins if they have some solid coaching. Kellogg, Mumm, and Krapfl leading the team... Lipsey could likely come play varsity as a freshman if he's as good as advertised.

Great analysis on those teams. Any insight on your predictions for 3A? Osky and Glenwood probably the favorites to get back to the finals again? Is this assumptions year?

Great analysis on those teams. Any insight on your predictions for 3A? Osky and Glenwood probably the favorites to get back to the finals again? Is this assumptions year?
I haven't seen Assumption this summer, but I know they had all the pieces at Justin Sharp in Rock Island. They are going to need some major improvements from the guard play. Defensively they are a state team, but the offense is a big problem.

They won the first game 29-11 over East Moline United Township's JV team...
Beat CR Wash who is likely the worst CR school this year 51-33...
Only managed 26 points in a 62-26 loss to North Scott...
37 points in a loss to Moline...
51-42 win over Rock Island to finish the tournament...

That Rock Island win isn't as good as it is most years. They got a BYE in the tournament. Beat Maquoketa, lost to Bettendorf big, lost to Dekalb, and lost to Assumption.

About a month ago at North Scott teams scrimmaged and Davenport North beat Rock Island by 30-40. That same day Dav North lost by 8 to North Scott and beat Iowa City High.

I think Assumption is mid-pack MAC this year and will struggle with teams who pressure the guards.

Dav North is a wildcard team. Very young group(4 seniors-2 healthy, 1 injured, 1 in track) that has been winning at the freshman and sophomore levels, but are learning how to win at Varsity right now. Very inconsistent right now, but could be a force by mid-season in the MAC.

My thoughts right now:
North Scott
Bettendorf
Pleasant Valley
Dav North
Dav Assumption
Burlington(New coach--- solid players will be interesting to see)
Dav Central
Dav West
Clinton
Muscatine

I have heard Eldridge is no longer at IC West, so that will hurt them a little. Also I would include DM Hoover in the top 10 somewhere.
They lost some big pieces. They will likely be in consideration, but I don't know enough about them to consider them a contender.

Any idea where Eldridge has gone?

3A Way to Early Top 10
1. Oskaloosa: arguably the best front line in the state with Foster and Henry. Solid role players around them. It is their title to lose.
2. Glenwood: Stanislav and Blum return along with a number of solid players. They have championship pedigree now.
3. Norwalk: Born is one of the elite guards in the state in any class, big kid Enders inside is back as well.
4. WSR: Always a factor come tournament time and their schedule is always favorable.
5. Assumption: Peters boys can go, proud program that is due to make it back to The Well.
6. SBL: Groves and Wright give them a formidable duo. 4A schedule also gets them ready
7. West Delaware: Krogman and young Kelly along with other strong athletes.
8. Solon: Top flight score in Coons, winning culture with high expectations
9. Xavier: Have been solid in recent years...can it continue?
10) Fairfield: Excellent coaching and a veteran group returns that should be class of SE Iowa

I haven't seen Isaiah Rivera playing with him yet, but that would be the main reason I don't foresee that being a successful strategy. Rivera is an extremely solid player who will eventually garner some D1 offers as well
You haven't seen Isaiah Rivera playing with him yet because Isaiah Rivera is staying at Geneseo. Him going to Bettendorf was never a thing.

You haven't seen Isaiah Rivera playing with him yet because Isaiah Rivera is staying at Geneseo. Him going to Bettendorf was never a thing.
That would be the first rumor in the last 5 years of being around MAC basketball that wouldn't have had some truth to it. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't being considered...

When Bailey Basala, Devyn Wakefield, Marlon Stewart, Ryan Fall, Darius Martin, Lacey Watson, Jerry Myles, and others transferred they were rumors I had learned prior to seeing them with new teams. All of which ended up happening.

Corey Prather to Davenport North from West was a rumor for more than a year and he made the move last year as a Junior.

Jamal Winston to Bettendorf from Wood Intermediate(Davenport) happened and now he's back in Davenport.

I have heard a 6'5+ Junior to be Rock Island player will be transferring to the Iowa side after summer, but of course that is "never a thing" if the dad changed his mind since the kid doesn't want to switch schools. The compromise was to let him play with his friends the remainder of the summer and then changes schools in the fall.

Tytan Anderson going to North Scott was another rumor and of course he is now the best player for North Scott having been a Davenport kid and his dad getting the freshman coaching position after Ty went there.

The Peeters brothers going to Assumption was up in the air, because they were North Scott feeder kids. Having cousins from Assumption and being Catholic school kids probably had some big influence on that.

Only school I haven't heard legitimate transfers to and from has been Pleasant Valley for basketball and kind of Dav West because most of those transfers are kids going to Central or North.

I forgot to even mention the transfers from Chicago to Bettendorf that were rumored before the season was even over 2-3 years ago. Those happened as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT