ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Dunn

Sep 10, 2012
Does anyone know what happened to Kyle Dunn. I see that he is not listed on Arkansas roster for this year....

"Lost interest" was what he's told some people. Specualtion is he got his scholarship $$ reduced to near zero like alot of Iowa kids who go the SEC route (Stocksdale) and said it wasn't worth the time.

I happen to know a couple of the young men on the Ark. Team. They ran at Iowa Central and they could not believe how time and dedication it takes to run at this level and no they where not Iowa kids or even from USA.ha

It is a full time grown up job to run d1 track, it's all year long, no time off with high expectations. Also to note, those are ALL iowa guys coaching so don't think they are shorting him bc he is an iowa guy. Also they are ranked 1st in the country, only have 14 scholarships for the entire team, if you're not an all American there you can't say you deserve money. If he lost it, he did have it for a year to produce.

Iowa guys and I heard yesterday that Ark. is not coming to Drake this year they are going to have a Triangle meet at home with FL. and FL.ST. instead thats to bad also heard Baylor isn't coming.

Not everyone can make the committment to D1 athletics. It's a major lifestyle change from high school sports. Being a full time athlete at a D1 University as competitive as Arkansas is pretty challenging. But if you love the sport, it's like that saying " find a career and you'll never work a day in your life". It can be the best time of your athletic life if you really want to know how good you can be. Maybe he wasn't ready for that committment, maybe he had to find another way to pay for his education, it's hard to say.

As far as the Drake Relays goes, it's going to be an interesting meet this year with all of the money coming into the meet, large number of 2012 Olympic medalists on the slate, spreading the invitational races out over Friday night and Saturday etc... Completely a money grab on Drakes' part but then again, there's always is a lot of empty seats on Friday night. Hope the weather holds up. It's Drake's meet to do what they want and high schools are lucky to be a part of it. Probably shouldn't have an opinion but it sure has changed a great deal over the years when it comes to spreading the high schoolers out over 3 days. If you live close enough to sleep in your own bed it isn't as bad as having the expense of travel and hotels that districts aren't willing to pay for anymore. Just have to remember that it's a great opportunity for the kids and try to remember how thrilled I was to attend for the first time when I was their age.
This post was edited on 3/3 8:18 PM by On Wings of Eagles

You mean "able to pay for" not "willing to pay for". Districts can't cover those athletic frill expenses when they are cutting staff at the same time. It just doesn't look good.

I agree but trust me, there's plenty of waste and inefficiencies in some districts including being top heavy in management. So there are lot of ways to cut the fat as well as more efforts to fundraise for the "frill" events. Either way, I guess it's up to each school to decide whether they want to participate or not if their entries are acceptable. I'd like to see who the first school would be that would turn that opportunity down for their students. My main point was the schedule is so spread out for those schools that have a lot of qualifiers that it gets pretty expensive and exhausting especially for those that have to stay overnight and move around town by bus for 3 days.

I think it's 12.6 scholarship $$. 8.6 calculated in state and 4 out of state. Might be wrong ...
That is track and cross country combined.

This post was edited on 3/6 5:26 PM by DogBoyRy

That does sound correct and for a team that has roughly 15 (my number maybe off) indoor national qualifiers and or scorers for this season makes it a tough case for him to get money. Wish he would still be there though, always the possibility of earning that money back. Its not the nicest way to look at it but its like, "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. Money is also awarded on if you can national champion, scorer at national meet, national qualifier, conference champion, conference scorer (in that order). The guy had tons of potential though, ran some good stuff for a freshman outdoors last year. Foreign athletes you also pay as out of state, but you try to get help with financial aid by classifying them as a minority and trying to get money that way. I don't believe the number is broken down for instate and out of state I believe it is a total figure or dollar amount, but the 12.5 sound correct.

It had nothing to do with money. Other issues involved that I will not reveal on here. Lets just say "lack of interest" and leave it at that. And if you don't think DIII track and field isn't a "full time" year 'round sport you are not very familiar with college track....especially distance runners. XC, indoor, and outdoor for 4 years is a grind, no matter what the level.

This post was edited on 3/13 8:51 PM by jchitwood12

I and many others found it to be a "grind" that was more of a passion. So if a person loses that drive and wants to explore other interests in their lives, so be it, they cease to waste everyone's time in getting out.

Well put, Ive ran across a lot of so called "coaches" in this state for hs that dont have a passion for the sport of running and it shows. without passion running is a grind and if its that you need to get out.

Where did the D3 comment come from? I must have missed something. If you don't have the passion any longer it is impossible to do it. I have seen first hand many many state champion/drake relay champion athletes just not have the desire any longer, it is not uncommon. I would like to point out that he wasnt the only athlete not any longer at Arkansas, I noticed that their national champion Gunner Nixon is no longer on the team also, he was a freshman last year. I have heard that there was the lack of commitment from him, classroom wise.

I have to wonder if it isn't a little of the spolied athlete thing happening.
Hope not and hope nothing but the best for him but...
I still remember when Lin Mar had to scramble to add a track meet at the end of his senior year so his suspension for being arrested for drunk driving wouldn't push into the district meet making him ineligible for state. Not caught at a party kind of thing - arested for drunk driving.
Lots of people in Cedar Rapids lost any respect they had for Lin Mar after that.
Think a pretty good teamate even quit over that.

Kyle has miss out on that national championship ring.Thats to bad because these chances just don't come a long very often.
My son was lucky enough to get one a couple years ago and it was the neatest ring i've seen and something he will never lose site off.

Originally posted by i am the runner:
Where did the D3 comment come from? I must have missed something. If you don't have the passion any longer it is impossible to do it. I have seen first hand many many state champion/drake relay champion athletes just not have the desire any longer, it is not uncommon. I would like to point out that he wasnt the only athlete not any longer at Arkansas, I noticed that their national champion Gunner Nixon is no longer on the team also, he was a freshman last year. I have heard that there was the lack of commitment from him, classroom wise.
There was a comment regarding commitment to DI athletics, speculating that DI requires more of a commitment. I think the commitment to DIII is no different. Call it passion or call it a grind. I don't care how much passion you have, 4 years of year around high level training is a grind. Who said that is a bad thing? You have to be able to grind it out or you will never make it. I don't associate "grind" with a lack of passion at all. In fact they go hand in hand. The comments regarding what did or didn't happen in high school have nothing to do with what happened at Arkansas and the "spoiled athlete" remark is out of line. Clueless actually!

You may want reread the posts above. In no way could anyone read speculation that DI required more commitment than DIII. Sorry you weren't talented/good enough for DI or whatever causes your hangup but somehow you managed to work your agenda into a thread about what happened to Kyle Dunn.

Now about the "clueless" comment. If you don't think Lin Mar made a huge effort to bail him out of a bad decision, that he was engrossed in the media attention, etc you're the clueless one. We're not talking about a kid getting a picture at a party with a beer in his hand. He was arrested for drunk driving and running at state weeks later after being ARRESTED. Why wouldn't someone think that might cause one to look at someone as spoiled? I have no idea - just thought it might be possible.

I agree DogBoyRy if you have behavioral issues going into a program like Ark.the results are not in your favor because they don't take the time to watch every step you take, The bottom line is you better preform when the gun goes off.
Kyle has a ton of talent and I wouldn't be surprise to see him at the top somewhere in the future if he wants it.He is still just a kid.

Originally posted by DogBoyRy:

You may want reread the posts above. In no way could anyone read speculation that DI required more commitment than DIII. Sorry you weren't talented/good enough for DI or whatever causes your hangup but somehow you managed to work your agenda into a thread about what happened to Kyle Dunn.

Now about the "clueless" comment. If you don't think Lin Mar made a huge effort to bail him out of a bad decision, that he was engrossed in the media attention, etc you're the clueless one. We're not talking about a kid getting a picture at a party with a beer in his hand. He was arrested for drunk driving and running at state weeks later after being ARRESTED. Why wouldn't someone think that might cause one to look at someone as spoiled? I have no idea - just thought it might be possible.
Like I said before CLUELESS! Do you know me? What level did I compete at? I don't have an agenda other than correcting your clueless claims regarding the subject of this thread. And believe me, they deserve the word CLUELESS attached to them, or maybe ignorant fits you better. Maybe you just know a lot that isn't true. In that case you are a fool.

jchitwood I followed this link because I like to see Iowa people go places they aren't expected to go and do well. You seem to be very well versed in this situation and I don't want these threads to turn in to name calling sessions. Maybe you can answer some questions to help me clarify what seems to be the points if contention. These are just yes/no questions, no explanations needed unless you want to share them AFTER giving the yes/no answer.

Did you run competively in college?

Did this young man get arrested for drunk driving in high school?

Did Lin-Mar add a meet to their schedule to satisfy his suspension requirements so they didn't interfere with districts?

Will this young man be running in college again?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions if you choose to. Just trying to understand the situation.

Does the "Z" signify a touche with a sword like Zoro after not getting a response within a month from Chipmunk or do you mean Zzzzzzzzzzz..... because you are now exhausted from waiting and have gone into hibernation?

Just wondering....

I don't know, it is a little odd that someone who was pretty passionate about the subject decides not to answer some simple questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT