ADVERTISEMENT

Keokuk/Fort Madison 3rd time around

wpdrunk

Freshman
Oct 2, 2002
I think this one will be a nail biter played on a neutral court. Both teams seem to be playing better. I'm looking forward to watching this one. Yeah, I'm looking past Mount Pleasant and Fairfield.

Keokuk has better athletes and they look like a Juco team when they hit the floor. Then their bad attitudes and bad coaching come out however which is why Ft Maddy is the better TEAM and will take then down again in my opinion.

Wow, I totally disagree with the last post. Keokuk is very athletic but if you think they look like a JUCO team I sort of question the quality of JUCO ball you watch. Fort Madison is a good team, but they are also absolutely loaded athletically. It will be a good matchup of two teams who both have players their communities should be proud of.

Sorry, I guess I just meant that Keokuk looks more athletic than most teams in SE Iowa. Saying a JUCO team may have been overstepping a little (unless it's Southeastern lately)! Bottom line Ft Madison is the better team and should win this time around. What I am interested in is the Williamsburg game (assuming they get thru) I see that Luke flipped his pick for state from Ft Maddy to the Raiders and find that intersting.

I agree that FM is the smart pick. They haven't lost a game with a healthy Wentzien. I just think they are just as athletic as Keokuk and matchup with them well. And, Southeastern's season came to an end tonight so you may be on to something there!

Anybody actually watch these two games last night? What is going to be the key for each team. They have not played each other in almost 2 months so looking at where they are right now what does each side need to do to win?

Despite the wide margins of victory, I didn't think either team looked particularly sharp last night, at least in the first halves and then in Keokuk's case extending into the third quarter. I think they were both looking past their opponents a little bit and then pulled away in the second halves. I think the key for Keokuk is getting points from the post players. The three guys who rotate the post positions need to step up with points. FM already has a very well-rounded attack. We know Wentzien will get his, so the key for them also boils down to the supporting cast continuing to score as they have most of the season.

This is an easy matchup to get excited about. Both teams have size and both teams can shoot really well. Wentzien has had Dahl's number recently (Don't know what they're all time head to head is) but both players are so tremendous. I think it will be a closer game than last time, but Ft. Madison wins it by 5-10. Wouldn't be surprised if either team wins wouldn't be surprised if whoever does win winds up in the final four. One thing that I can tell you is that both teams will be confident. Also, I really like that the game is played in Burlington. Perfect venue for these two teams.

Just doing a quick quikstats search, its crazy to think this is their 10th game against one another.
Keokuk won both games when the 2 were Freshmen (Miles started and Johnny came off the bench)
They split their Sophomore year
Fort Madison won two out of three games last year including the district final
Keokuk won early this year (Ft. M was without Miles) and Ft. M won the rematch later in the year

So depending on how you want to look at it Johnny and Miles will break a personal 4-4 tie against one another and Keokuk over the last four years leads 5-4. Either way it should be a great game

Originally posted by ipiteu2:
Just doing a quick quikstats search, its crazy to think this is their 10th game against one another.
Keokuk won both games when the 2 were Freshmen (Miles started and Johnny came off the bench)
They split their Sophomore year
Fort Madison won two out of three games last year including the district final
Keokuk won early this year (Ft. M was without Miles) and Ft. M won the rematch later in the year

So depending on how you want to look at it Johnny and Miles will break a personal 4-4 tie against one another and Keokuk over the last four years leads 5-4. Either way it should be a great game
Thanks for the info! Not very often that rivalries of this magnitude get the gift of two amazing players in the same class!

On the scoreboard thread someone said Ft.Mad held the ball for 6 min. straight the last 1.50 of the 4th and all of the OT.
Sounds like a good one.

Don't think I have ever seen a game where 4 quarters and an overtime lasted only 90 minutes. That game was over at 8:30. I've seen mercy rule games last longer than this one. Yes, clearly a chess match type of game toward the end. Too bad the referees didn't call the obvious foul on the lay up attempt at the end of the game....it would of added even more drama to an already great game.

Originally posted by mepobdog:

Don't think I have ever seen a game where 4 quarters and an overtime lasted only 90 minutes. That game was over at 8:30. I've seen mercy rule games last longer than this one. Yes, clearly a chess match type of game toward the end. Too bad the referees didn't call the obvious foul on the lay up attempt at the end of the game....it would of added even more drama to an already great game.
Was that on Dahl's shot at the end? I've seen pictures from the game but haven't seen any video or picture of that play. According to Twitter land there is some debate over the last call.

No way to tell from the video I saw if there was body contact. Judging by the way Dahl shot the ball I would bet the FM defender ( I think it was Barnes) must have got his hand on the ball before Dahl released it causingi him to shoot it long.it was a driving layup going down the left baseline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT