ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Schon

Leave0doubt

Gold Member
Feb 10, 2015
I saw something on twitter about Schon of Ankeny Centennial being carted off the floor. I was wondering if anybody knew anything more about the situation. Not sure what it is yet, but that's really too bad. He's a hell of basketball player and even a better kid.

Centennial F Jay Schon suffered a dislocated and fractured right ankle last night. Tough blow for team.

Just saw in the register, too bad for him. Great kid and great player.

I also see it occurred on an intentional foul. Wonder how that went over with his teammates?

Brunks are you out there? Can you shed any light on this?

Gotta imagine there may be a little bad blood between these two with Carter Bruns moving from Ottumwa to Centennial, but was not there and was hoping you could help add some clarity.

I've intentionally refrained from commenting to this point, because I wanted to give it some time to try and take emotion out of whatever I say. But since you asked, I'll try to keep what I say to the events as I observed them.

Before the game started the Ottumwa players refused to shake hands with Carter Burns. The Jay Schon play was a break away dunk with 3:22 left in the 2nd quarter and Ankeny Centennial up by 21 points. A flagrant foul was called on the play.A large number of the Ottumwa student section stood and cheered when Jay first went down and was in pain on the floor. I will say that once the extent of the injury was evident, the cheering stopped.Play was resumed after a very long delay, and the same player that was called for the flagrant foul was still on the floor. At one point the player gave a hard foul to Carter Burns on a loose ball situation.The Ottumwa players refused to shake hands with Carter Burns and the end of the game.One Ottumwa player made a derogatory comment to the Ankeny Centennial coach after the game.

I have plenty of opinions and thoughts on what I witnessed, but I am choosing not to air those on this forum.

I happened to be at the game and sat about 5 rows up from the scorers table so I could be in between both teams fans in hopes to hear anything. There was some hostility in the air but it was only towards Burns (As far as the players and student section). It looked to me as if the Ottumwa players had a chip on their shoulder when Burns would catch the ball. They were over aggressive in not letting him get anything easy.

That being said the play where Schon got hurt:
He got a steal near mid court, the Ottumwa player was trying to chase him down for a "Lebron" block. From about a step behind the Ottumwa player went up to one hand block from behind and whiffed as he swung. His follow through hit Schon in the shoulder. The two landed separate from each other and Schons foot landed on his toes and that was that.
Horrible feeling for him. Great player, great kid.

I understand why it was called an intentional foul. The play happened fast and the refs felt that was the way to cover their grounds but all in all from a live view the Ottumwa kid went for the ball and missed. There was no intent to hurt Schon at all. With the hostility towards Burns the Centennial fans felt there was intent. I could see if he shoved him or tried to undercut but he tried to block and missed. A lot of teams have a "don't get dunked on" moto they go by so i didn't see any issue with the attempt. Obviously the outcome is terrible and had to be called intentional because of the extent of what happened but it was not "intentionally done"

As far as the Ottumwa kids not shaking Burns hand:
Is it disrespectful? Yes, especially at the high school level. However, being a former athlete if I played with someone for 10 years every summer and season and he left me for our senior season because "we sucked" and he "wanted to win" I probably would have done the same thing. Did everyone really expect Ottumwa to be buddy-buddy with him? Come on!

Lastly, I was close to the scorers table as the players were shaking hands, I wanted to hear or see anything that happened. Especially after the Schon event. None of the Ottumwa kids shook his hand, the coaches from Ottumwa did and said good luck. Towards the end of the line one of the assistant coaches from Centennial said something to an Ottumwa player about not shaking Burns hand which is what started the talking that Brunks is talking about.

Sounds like the ottumwa coaching staff needs addressing. To allow your team to not shake hands with the opposing team, or one player, no matter what the so called grievance between players is has no place in high school athletics.

I agree with that, But looking at it from both sides, when did it become ok to transfer in high school just because your team is bad?

Originally posted by Lad2011:
I agree with that, But looking at it from both sides, when did it become ok to transfer in high school just because your team is bad?
When did it become anyone else's decision?

Cortez Seales and Marlon Stewart transferred into North Scott, but I don't see the schools they transferred from being disrespectful or dirty toward them on the court.

I believe Seales was supposed to be at Davenport North, but I may have the wrong school

I know that Stewart grew up in Rock Island. Davenport West to North Scott transfer.

Connor Mollenbeck transferred to Assumption following the dismissal of the head coach for Davenport North due to sexual abuse. North's students chant "He's a Wildcat" when they play Assumption, but I don't see them disrespecting him or the team.

Ottumwa has a not so good reputation for on the court demeanor from what I have experienced. I didn't know any Ottumwa kids in high school, but they talked a lot of trash in intramural league basketball when I was in college. They had players get ejected for flagrant fouls in both games they played my team and then waited outside the rec center to trying jumping one of my teammates. I know they got a new coach a few years ago, but it seems like the same environment may still exist.

If a kid transfers and disrespects his former teammates and coaches, why would anyone expect those teammates that he left high and dry to show any respect towards him?
In fact, if they are real competitors, I'd expect them to have a little something extra for him. Within the scope of the rules of course.

Just to clarify , Carter did NOT 'transfer', the family 'moved' for family reasons. To say he moved for basketball is very shallow. Ottumwa is not a bad place!!

Nobody ever admits their move had a sports related motive.
Not speaking about this instance specifically, just saying no one ever will come out and say it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT