ADVERTISEMENT

Issa Samake is 22 ?

Jul 27, 2013
Is it true that Ras Vanderloo Sioux City East head coach said he is 22?
East did have a African exchange student play for them a couple years ago. I would guess Ras knows how GVC is getting exchanged students that can play basketball. He has credibility to make this statement.

If he is 22, then he can't play high school basketball in Iowa.

I thought age 20 was the limit.

East did have a African exchange student play for them a couple years ago. I would guess Ras knows how GVC is getting exchanged students that can play basketball. He has credibility to make this statement.

Scholarship Rules 36.15(2)

a. All contestants must be enrolled and in good standing in a school that is a member or associate member in good standing of the organization sponsoring

the event.

b. All contestants must be under 20 years of age

A high scoring team finally plays a team that can hang with them and now Uncle Drew plays for the other team.

It's sad when people find the need to make anonymous and ridiculous accusations on message board forums based on...what? This a high school kid and an entire school that you are accusing of breaking the rules. Sometimes we may need to just step back and think before we post and before we believe something that someone supposedly said.

This thread is ridiculous and should be deleted. Is there any evidence to this claim? Is there any evidence Coach Vanderloo even made such a claim? Seems like this is nothing but false information hoping to spread a rumor and disparage a high school kid. The original poster should be ashamed for even starting this garbage.

It's sad when people find the need to make anonymous and ridiculous accusations on message board forums based on...what? This a high school kid and an entire school that you are accusing of breaking the rules. Sometimes we may need to just step back and think before we post and before we believe something that someone supposedly said.

Your argument is completely invalid if he is 22 and cheated on his papers. Appealing to emotion does not work in situations like this. What if the court system thought the way you do? The school isn't necessarily at fault if this is true. OP isn't blaming the entire school either.

It is not uncommon for foreign exchange students to be around a year or so older than the average American student in the same grade. That has been true of each of the 4 Chinese foreign exchange students we have hosted in our home, and it is true of Samake.

But for someone to actually put any stock in such a ridiculous idea says more about them and their desire to find some kind of "cheating" on the part of GVC. Let's just think about this for a second. Do we really think that schools like Iowa State and Tulsa would offer a kid would be 23 or 24 years old by the time he graduated high school, oh and by the way he just forfeited all his high school games because he was actually ineligible when he participated.

This is just ridiculous. You can't just go around making up random stories. I can't just post for example that a top notch AAU program was run by a pedofile...oh wait, bad example.

Countries are different in schooling if you go to any European school they have 14 grades instead of 12 like it is here in United States and Canada. SimS European countries have 13 to 14 grades. Like Germany has thirdteen grade and famce has fourteen grades. So it depends on what countries you came from.

FTR, I saw him up close three times this year. If he is 22, then I'd guess numerous other players we saw as being 24 or 25. He looked younger than some of the kids we played against. Heck, we have a couple kids that look older than him.

Reactions: iowalongs230
Wait, did you just say Samake was inelgible this entire time? If so, and excuse me if i'm wrong, but why does he forfeit his games and not the school who he played for?

Ok, I think we can all agree the dude is not 22 right now. He was a Jr this year, so it is possible he is 18.

If he was lying about his age, the eligibility of his high school basketball career is the least of his concerns.

On a side note, I hope GVC's track coach talks him into trying the high jump this spring. Even with terrible form, he could easily jump 6+ foot from day one.

Reactions: Kraftwerk
#22 is 18, will turn 19 next fall. Samake hasn't had any traffic tickets so can't find his DOB.

Red shirting at its finest. Had a 2 year difference between my oldest and 2nd son. 2nd son had a kid in his grade that was far closer in age to my oldest son than the one in his grade. Many reasons to do it, usually athletics.

My school, well not really because he wrestled at 3 while never moving was held back though b+ student to get state champ at 19. That's why there is a rule. My senior is 3x days older than #22.

Last edited:
Red shirting at its finest. Had a 2 year difference between my oldest and 2nd son. 2nd son had a kid in his grade that was far closer in age to my oldest son than the one in his grade. Many reasons to do it, usually athletics.
With foreign exchange students it almost always has nothing to do with athletics and everything to do with compensating for the different academic systems and standards of other countries.

With foreign exchange students it almost always has nothing to do with athletics and everything to do with compensating for the different academic systems and standards of other countries.

#22 from North Linn is an exchange student? I was unaware, the person I was talking about wasn't an exchange student.

An 18 year old Junior? Hadn't heard of that before...

It's a little more common than you would think. The travel baseball rosters when the kids are younger can be interesting. You see kids who are 'playing up' a grade or two when it is based on age. It seems to happen in wrestling quite a bit.

#22 is 18, will turn 19 next fall. Samake hasn't had any traffic tickets so can't find his DOB.

My post was intended as a joke...sarcasm.
Good to know though.

#22 from North Linn is an exchange student? I was unaware, the person I was talking about wasn't an exchange student.
I'm pretty sure iowalongs was talking in generalities and not specific to Seber #22. I wouldn't think Seber is a foreign exchange.

You replied to roosterk who was talking about Samake, and you said "red shirting at its finest." Samake's situation has nothing to do with red shirting.

I know I said this thread needs to die but I just need to say this...

If Issa Samake is 22, then Zion Williamson is 30. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT