ADVERTISEMENT

is cheer leading still a sport

Originally posted by flash_dance:
sorry, a heavily debated yet unresolved issue:

I didn't know it was considered a sport other than by cheerleaders or their family's. I believe that in my opinion it falls into the category of a competition, like gymnastics and ice skating due to having scores by judging, and we all know that the russian judges always shortchange the US squads.

Sports, again my opinion, can be scored by some system, ie baskets made, runs scored, touchdowns, etc.

I have not seen many debates on this outside of cheerleading circles, and maybe this topic could be this quarters board topic to get some activity here, kinda like all those who whine about Catholic schools recruiting during basketball season. Good topic flash, hopefully the activity picks up on the board, and if this topic and my comments don't help it going along, make another topic mentioning the unfairness of Catholic schools recruiting cheerleaders away from the public schools. And if that doesn't work, then a topic about Catholic schools not only recruiting cheerleaders but also hiring coaches with no experience.(you would have to read the only other current active thread in the girls sports forum to understand the sarcasm)

Never was a sport and never will be. Girls who cheer can most definitely be good athletes....but cheering in itself is nothing more than an activity, just like dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT