ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Basketball Advisory

Cardinal2012

Freshman
Oct 19, 2012
Can someone explain to me why the Iowa Basketball Advisory made the recommendation to not have the higher seeds host?

Why should higher seeds play a road game the first round, sometimes not even on a neutral court?

One issue, I believe, is now that 2 games are being played at the same site, that gyms have to hold X amount of people, depending on the class of game being played.

2A D7

Dyersville Beckman is the 6 seed in a 6 team district. They may very well win the district, as they are a good team, but why they host first and second round games is beyond me. Nice gym, but really??

Congrats on the 1 seed Monticello, go play in Dyersville, we don't care how nice/big your gym is. Congrats on the 3 seed Anamosa, your award is playing Beckman on their home floor in the opening round. Congrats on the 2 seed Clayton Ridge, you do get a bye in the first round, but your potential second round opponent will be playing on their home floor.

I was under the impression that while there's a certain criteria for hosting, that, should schools meet the criteria for hosting, it would be at least somewhat random and different teams would get the chance to host each year much like they did prior to the first change in the playoff site selections back in the mid-2000s.

However, that doesn't seem to be the case in 2A D3.

Similar teams to last year, and SCC, SE, and Pocahontas were all there. South Central Calhoun hosted the District semifinals last year after Manson got to host the first round.

This year, with a district comprised of Emmetsburg, Southeast Valley, Pocahontas, St. Edmond, South Central Calhoun and Eagle Grove, the Titans will get to host not only the first round, but the second round as well.......

So is it basically the biggest gym in that particular district gets to host each given year?

Just seems odd that they would get to host both rounds after hosting the district semis last year. Maybe they did a good job of hosting.

Higher seed should host until substate where it obviously should be a neutral site. Come on boy's assoc - it's not that hard. Maybe take a look at the girl's union where there are actual grown-ups in charge.

Not every higher seed in 1A and 2A schools have the capacity to host. Also, it doesn't matter if the higher seed doesn't host, unless they are playing a lower seed on their home floor. This is a problem. There is no way a higher seed should have to play a lower at their gym.

It's ridiculous. I don't care how nice of a gym one school has, the teams with better records EARNED that seed and homecourt advantage.

So set a minimum seating capacity to host a tourney game or go neutral. There won't be very many and even fewer that would be slated to host.

A quick look at the 2A pairings shows 3 times where the higher seed will have to travel to play the lower seed on the lower seed's home floor - Districts 3, 7, 14 - assuming the lower seed wins the 1st round. Not acceptable.

Originally posted by WhiteShadowHoops:
Not every higher seed in 1A and 2A schools have the capacity to host. Also, it doesn't matter if the higher seed doesn't host, unless they are playing a lower seed on their home floor. This is a problem. There is no way a higher seed should have to play a lower at their gym.
Not that it particularly matters, but St. Eds has hosted before under this format.

Heck, as of right now, they're scheduled to host a girls regional final.

I suppose since Fort Dodge is the site for the district finals that ruled out SE for any earlier rounds, but I would think a school like Emmetsburg (since they decided to drop them into this district........) would have a decent enough gym to host one of the two rounds. Though I've never seen their gym.

Then again maybe it's because SCC is the central-most school among the teams in this district.

DT SCC gym is bigger than anyone else but I agree #1 seed should host at least once or if not big enough neutral court like FDSH gym if not already used would be nice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT