ADVERTISEMENT

Intriguing Games for 2021-22

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I haven't been through all of the schedules but what are some intriguing games for the next two years?

Waukee Northwest first four games is Valley, Dowling, Southeast Polk, Johnston. Talk about a way to start up a program. They also have both Ankeny schools and Urbandale. It'll be interesting to see how they do. Also interesting that they don't play Waukee.

Reactions: cjm3260
Yeah, good point about Waukee, you’d think that’d be an obvious game.

To keep peace amongst the community you suppose as there may be some hard feelings about who's playing where? No idea, outside speculation on things that could have happened. Maybe it was cut and dry as to who stayed and who went to NW.

I bet it was cut and dry, the school district probably had to draw a line and that's where you went.

This is the list of non-district games that I found
Unity Christian vs Gehlen, two decent parochial schools, I am not sure how often they have played in the past
HMS vs. West Hancock, two teams that I think are top 10 in class A
Wapsie vs South Winn, non-district this year, both lost a bit of talent, who will rebound better?
Grundy Center vs. DNH, Grundy took it to DNH last year, what will this year bring?
Lisbon vs. West Branch, Lisbon is expecting big things, West Branch is always tough.
Wapello vs. Mediapolis, I think Wapello could be a good class A team, how do they mat up with a traditionally good class 1A team?
St. Albert vs. Treynor good test for the Falcons to see where they are at.
St. Albert vs. Underwood, another good test for the Falcons.
Western Christian vs. West Lyon, do I really need to explain?
West Marshall vs. South Hamilton for being close geographically I don't think they have played in over a decade.
DNH vs. Columbus, just a good Cedar Valley matchup.
DNH vs. Clear Lake, I am not sure what Clear Lake has but I think this is a interesting matchup that we really haven't seen before.
MFL vs. New Hampton, MFL should be good even in moving up to 1A, New Hampton isn't a state title contender or anything but a solid 2A program.
Columbus vs. West Branch, just an interesting match up I don't think we have seen
Regina vs. Williamsburg, they have played enough lately and it is always a good hard fought game.
CL/GLR vs. BH/RV
CL/GLR vs. SBL
CL/GLR vs. West Sioux, I really like what CL/GLR has for their non-district
ELC vs. West Lyon, ELC should be good, West Lyon is always good
SE Valley vs. I35, two schools who have been good the last couple of year, it just stuck out to me
West Liberty vs. Solon
West Libety vs. Regina
West Liberty vs. Independece, again I list what West Liberty has, they will be tested for district play
Williamsburg vs. Van Meter, could be the best 1A vs. 2A matchup
West Delaware vs. Xavier, this game should of happened in the Semifinals last year, it will be fun this year.
Grinnell vs. Harlan, I know they played last year, but it still seems unique to me.
DCG vs. Johnston, as far as I know this is the first time DCG is playing one of the big boys, my guess is that they know they could eventually grow into a 5A.

Xavier’s schedule is interesting. And pretty tough, I think.

Xavier opens with Western Dubuque, the 2018 3A state runner-up and 2019 3A state champion.

They also play North Scott, last year’s 3A state champion (and not even mentioning the fact that the Lancers have ended Xavier’s season the last two years running).

And they travel to Pella, the 3A state champions in 2014, 2015, and 2016, a team Xavier had some epic playoff battles against in 2016 and 2018.

When you include the fact that Xavier won the 3A championship in 2017/2018, their schedule includes every 3A state champion for the past seven years.

And then there’s West Delaware, one of the strongest teams last year before getting edged out by North Scott in the quarterfinals. And Cedar Rapids Washington, moving down from the biggest class for Xavier’s first Cedar Rapids cross-town game since 2013 (The Saints are just 3-8 all-time against Wash, with only one victory since 2006).

It’s also interesting (and unfortunate) that CR Prairie doesn’t play any of the Cedar Rapids schools this year. The southwest-side “Kolache Bowl” with Jefferson has been a tradition for a long time. In fact, other than Iowa City West and Linn-Mar on the last two weeks of the season, Prairie doesn’t play anybody closer than an hour away (Waterloo West).

It’s also interesting (and unfortunate) that CR Prairie doesn’t play any of the Cedar Rapids schools this year. The southwest-side “Kolache Bowl” with Jefferson has been a tradition for a long time. In fact, other than Iowa City West and Linn-Mar on the last two weeks of the season, Prairie doesn’t play anybody closer than an hour away (Waterloo West).
I don't mind that at all. I really don't like watching Prairie football. That single wing is a fun, hard-nosed offense and wins some games. What makes Prairie so annoying is beyond the single wing their base philosophy is to see how far you can stretch the rules and out trick everyone. If we have more than one guy in motion every play, they won't call it. It we do 20 illegal formations, they won't call it. Their lineman go down, pop up, go down, pop up, go down, pop up, shift into some funky formation and snap before they're all set. To me it's not football. With their athletes, they could line up and play football with anybody if their coaches let them. They don't need to try to trick somebody every play.

Regardless, I think Prairie will probably be a serious contender the next two years...call it a hunch.

Regardless, I think Prairie will probably be a serious contender the next two years...call it a hunch.
They will have two really talented classes on varsity. And will try to rely on 1 good running back taking direct snaps and a ton of trick plays.

Prairie's coach has seemed to have some issues with other coaches, and officials since he came to Iowa. I wonder if there were similar problems when he coached in Missouri?

Only having seen the varsity on film (our kids played their freshman team and had a bugger with that offense) I could see teams having issues stopping that type of offense. Better defensive coaching preparation seems to solve this issue. CRK has successfully met them several times in the PO’s, so familiarity with what to look for is key. Typically when playing an option team, defensive player assignment discipline is crucial.

We will get to see St. Ansgar and West Hancock butt heads again this year. It's been awhile since these north iowa teams have played each other. Has been an entertaining matchup years past and I fully expect it to be the same. It's the 2nd to last game of district play too so a district title very well may be on the line that game.

Happy to see Solon/MV still going. Solon has a long win streak going ther
I know that Mount Vernon was down for a few years about a decade ago, but it is really incredible that in a rivalry between two good football programs, and honestly two good overall athletic programs that one school has one as many as they have in a row.

i sort of like the lewis central, harlan matchup, though i am not sure if it means much in rpi, or whatever that is that they count pts. harlan returns most of the offense, 7 i believe , and lewis central returns a good team also. lewis central returns 270 lb left tackle hunter deyo , and defensive lineman that has started since he was freshman. also returning for the titans is defensive end nick miller, and linebacker wyatt hatcher , they will provide added support for the defense. titans do loose qb and running back , and also fidone that is playing for nebraska now...but i suspect that lewis central will field a good team in the fall...wish i could be there to watch it, hopefully the internet will show the game..sort of sad the titans loose coach duggan, but he wanted to watch his son play for tcu..dont blame him...there has been talk that max duggan may be in the race for heisman

Last edited:
West Lyon vs ELC.Should be a very competitive and interesting game. Might meet up again in the playoffs if they both make it.

Given Van Meter shut down open enrollment a few years back, the argument you're trying to make is pretty lame.

I thought using 😜 meant that it was a humorous/silly comment. I will need to refresh my emoji knowledge, some people are very serious about this. 🧐

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT