ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting State schedule note

dadthencoach

Freshman
Jan 17, 2009
So anyway, we've been in the middle of moving and I happened across a 1995 State tournament program. I was really happy that the REAL State tournament went back to three days this year, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what bugged me about about the session schedule. Then I looked at the old program and realized what it was.

2012 Schedule:
THURSDAY
Session 1: 9:00am - 12:15pm Class 3A 1st round & 1st round consolations
SESSION 2 (8 mats) 2:00pm - 5:15pm Class 2A 1st round & 1st round consolations
SESSION 3 (8 mats) 7:00pm ? 10:15pm Class 1A 1st round & 1st round consolations
FRIDAY
SESSION 4 (8 mats) 9:00am ? 1:30pm Class 3A & Class 2A quarter-finals; then Class
3A & 2A 2nd round consolations
SESSION 5 (8 mats) 3:30pm ? 6:45pm Class 1A quarter-finals, Class 3A semi-finals &
3rd round consolations, & Class 1A 2nd round
consolations
SESSION 6 (8 mats) 8:30pm ? 9:35pm Class 2A semi-finals and 3rd round consolations
9:35pm ? 10:45pm Class 1A semi-finals and 3rd round consolations
SATURDAY
SESSION 7 (8 mats) 10:00am - 2:15pm Class 3A, 2A, 1A consolation semi-finals & finals
SESSION 8 (3 mats) 5:45pm IWCOA, IHSADA & IHSAA Awards
6:00pm Grand march and Finals for all classes
So we had three different sessions on Thursday, and three on Friday, which pushed the 1A Semis back to 9:35 p.m. (Seriously?)

Here was the 1995 schedule:
THURSDAY
SESSION 1: 10:30 AM Class 3A First round/consolations; 1:30 PM Class 1A first round/consolations
SESSION 2: 6:30 PM Class 2A First round/consolations
FRIDAY
SESSION 3: 10:30 AM Class 3A Quarterfinals/2nd round consolations; 12:30 PM Class 1A Quarterfinals/2nd round consolations; 2:15 PM Class 2A Quarterfinals/2nd round consolations
SESSION 4: 6:30 PM Class 3A Semis/third round consolations; 7:45 Class 1A Semis/third round consolationals; 9:00 PM 2A Semis/consolations
SATURDAY
SESSION 5: Noon All classes consolations semis; 1:45 PM Classes Consolations finals
SESSION 6 7 PM FINALS

We've learned two things here:
1- The old Friday sessions were the greatest 12 hours of wrestling on this planet or any other, at a low, low price!
2 - To the IAHSAA its ALL ABOUT THE $$$$$$$$$$$

Discuss....
This post was edited on 2/19 1:28 AM by dadthencoach
This post was edited on 2/19 1:29 AM by dadthencoach

Well the first state wrestling meet I attended was in 2003. I can't remember if it was still a 3-day event then or not. I did like the nostalgia of Vets though I think Wells is starting to grow on people.

And while no single working member of the IAHSAA will ever admit this on or off the record....yes, it IS all about the money. But what can we do about it?....and they know that.

Its the exact same amount of wrestling each day...just with different groupings and longer breaks on Fridays..?? I don't get the point

That's dadthencoach's point: it's the same amount of wrestling, but now (in 2012) there is an extra session on Thursday and Friday, which means spectators have to buy more tickets.

2003 was the first year they went to a 4-day state tournament. I liked it because I only had to wrestle one match per day and stayed fresh.

It was incredible. You went in the door on Friday morning and -- if were a true junkie -- you could sit through six hours of wrestling, all three classes. Then everyone cleared the arena at once, descended on downtown to eat, then back for four more hours. It was something to behold. It is was packed the entire session.

OK, sorry, I get it. I didn't know how the sessions worked. I guess it has to be money driven then if you see no advantage for the wrestlers and I don't by glancing at it.

There is no advantage for the wrestlers under the current system. In fact there is more sitting around time. It is simply money driven and what's dumb is if you want us to pay a buck more for those long sessions on Friday to see ALL 3 CLASSES, we'd probably do it, and put more butts in the seats for the sessions. And if you put the 1As in the middle (which we all know draw the most people), you'd guarantee almost a full house. It's a money thing, but it's also a "Duh" moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT