ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments by Linn-Mar about State Duals

dadthencoach

Freshman
Jan 17, 2009
This was on Metro Sports.com out of Cedar Rapids today. Found it very enlightening. Hopefully the Association will heed them.

http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5736

Oh, and just for fun, did anyone notice the Indianola forfeited four weights, and gave up four first period falls last night against Iowa City West. I'm just saying...

TAKE THE HINT, ALAN!!!!

I think you could also make an argument that those who wrestle the day before could have an advantage. Regardless, they are young and in shape. Some kids on certain teams have wrestled five matches in a day when wrestling at the large dual tourneys. Not sure how many matches are wrestled in a three day period at the mega tourneys like the Cheesehead. I would certainly hope that every team takes the approach of putting their best wrestlers available on the mat at any given time.

Looking at Indianola's lineup vs ICW... it looks like they wrestled all JV. I was at the SEP vs Lewis Central dual last night and SEP only sent 2 varsity wrestlers onto the mat. State duals needs to be moved back after the state tournament.

Having attended the state dual meet several times previously in CR I am curious if this change in format this year is due to the arena not being available in CR this year. Will the state duals revert back to CR next year, under their previous format?

The format this year does seem quite stilted and I could certainly see where a wrestler that was on a team that did not qualify for state duals would have a strong advantage starting fresh on Thursday v. someone that had to make weight and wrestle 3 matches on Wednesday.

Old Wrestling Fan:

You completely nailed it. There is a "Closed For Repairs" sign hanging on the U.S. Cellular Center in C.R. this year, so the Association decided to try a grand experiment that appears to have all the popularity of a tooth extraction. The Cell will be fixed next year, go back to the right way of doing it and let's put the 2012 Clown Show that will be State Duals away and never speak of it again. When you have teams who qualified bashing the idea and other teams basically throw the Regional meet so they don't have to go, you have a problem, and if the Association doesn't get the hint, there's a problem.

Originally posted by Old_wrestling_fan:
Having attended the state dual meet several times previously in CR I am curious if this change in format this year is due to the arena not being available in CR this year. Will the state duals revert back to CR next year, under their previous format?

The format this year does seem quite stilted and I could certainly see where a wrestler that was on a team that did not qualify for state duals would have a strong advantage starting fresh on Thursday v. someone that had to make weight and wrestle 3 matches on Wednesday.

I believe the IAHSAA looked at the ice arena in Cedar Rapids as a possible venue but determined it to be too small. I don't think the plan is to return to CR once the Cellualr Center construction in completed. I could be wrong.

I don't it WAS the plan, since the Association rarely thinks any of it's ideas are either wrong or unpopular. This one is both, and my guess they are hearing about it; not just from loud-mouthed fans like us, but from coaches and administrators as well. Thing is, the Cell is about the only guaranteed available arena for the weekend after State, and it will all new, pretty and shiny. They may not have a choice. I would be surprised if this Grand Experiment lasts past this year.

The only reason these teams don't like the format this year is because it happens to fall just before the 3A individual tournaments begin. The only teams who have a right to complain would be 3A since both 2A and 1A both are set to wrestle Districts this Saturday before having a full week and a half off before the traditional state tourney starts. Whats bad for one class is great for the other two classes

I think what Iowa means is that 1a and 2a have had regionals before districts for years. Now that 3A has to do it, a bunch of people are upset. Now I am not saying that this is the best way to do it, but Minnesota does something similar and they seem to do just fine. I don't think its fair to keep kids down to weight (and coaches to chase them around) for an extra week. I don't have the answer, but I don't feel it is as bad as people make it out to be.

You can't be serious that SEP put out two varsity wrestlers against CBLC and still won 58-15. How many varsity wrestlers did CB send out?

The regional tournaments are irrelevant. The real problem is at state. You've got some kids that will be facing 3 state quality matches the DAY before state starts. If I was the coach I'd be concerned about injury, fatigue and loss of match strategy all the day before the real state tourney starts. Why would you risk that?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the Regional Dual being before districts... they are upset with State Duals being the day before traditional State

dmlawdad... it looked like CBLC sent out their varsity wrestlers but I don't know their normal line up so I could be wrong. CBLC also had 3 open weights. SEP's only varsity wrestlers were Marnin wrestling up at 195 and Miklus at 220. Here's the results (meet started at 138):

138 Strickland vs Forfeit SEP 6 LC 0
145 Jones vs Ruby 3-14 SEP 6 LC 4
152 Kerr vs Nightser SEP Pin 4:59 SEP 12 LC 4
160 A Christian vs Wahle 4-19 SEP 12 LC 9
170 Brown vs Schwery LC Pin 2:29 SEP 12 LC 15
182 Sargent vs Blay SEP Pin 1:15 SEP 18 LC 15
195 Marnin vs Lear SEP Pin 1:34 SEP 24 LC 15
220 Miklus vs Renshaw SEP Pin 2:44 SEP 30 LC 15
285 Jones vs forfeit SEP 36 LC 15
106 Stevens vs Bailey 7-6 SEP 39 LC 15
113 Shaw vs forfeit SEP 45 LC 15
120 Williams vs Bahr SEP Pin 0:29 SEP 51 LC 15
126 Stovers vs Tawzer 13-8 SEP 54 LC 15
132 B Bucheit vs Thomas 14-0 SEP 58 LC 15

All 3 classes wrestle districts this Saturday and no one has a week and a half off before traditional state.

Joel Northrup had good comment in the article. Move the State Duals before the entire individual series. I say move the whole sectional/district/state schedule back a week. The Well is hosting two Iowa Energy basketball games and a George Strait concert the week between wrestling and girls basketball this year and could move similar events to earlier in February in future years. Then do for all classes what they did with 3A this year and have a coaches poll decide the regional qualifiers and wrestle those on Tuesday and hold State Duals on the first Saturday in February. Even those teams that make state will have a week before sectionals.

I thought the reason why the HS wrestling season was shortened this year is because Des Moines/the Wells Fargo Arena wants to be able to host NCAA regional events in the future & needs to have the arena available. If this is true, & the IHSAA wants to keep things in DSM, they won't be able to push the season back.

The other problem with having the State Dual tourney in season is its impact on teams scheduling. If you try to move the tourney to early or mid Feb, then that is right around the time most conferences hold their conf tourney. In addition, tournaments like the Ed Winger tourney would take a hit. Plus, teams wouldn't now very far in advance whether they would be pariticipating in State Duals or not so they have to decide if they go ahead & schedule something for that weekend any way & then have to pull out (which screws over the host tourney) or not scheduling something for that weekend, then end up no qualifying & being left at home for a weekend or scrambling to find some tournament to let you in. I still think the best alternative is to have it after the tradional state tournament (although I agree it is not perfect).

Oilchecker, check the calender. We are in mid-February and it's time for State. Ed Winger, John Harris and almost all conference tournaments are held in January. No major tournaments are scheduled the first Saturday in February right now because all the best officials are working 1A/2A sectional meets. The CIML holds their super meet on the Friday before sectionals so they can get the best central Iowa refs for the meet. Moving Sectionals to the second Saturday and holding State Duals the first Saturday is possible. As for Wells Fargo availability, the three major winter tournaments (Wrestling, Girls BB, Boys BB) are all held a week earlier than they traditionally were before Wells Fargo opened. I'm just asking to eliminate the open week between wrestling and girls basketball to accomodate moving Duals to the end of the regular season (for 1A/2A at least)

Just drop the Duals. They are a logistical problem. Individual State is what counts. That was Junior's opinion back in the day when he wrestled.

Iron Doc-- That might be your opinion, but it is not all peoples opinion. I, for one, find the state duals the highlight of the wrestling season. It is the one statewide sports event that I attend every year. It is an opportunity for a school that doesnt have many studs, but still has a good solid team, to shine. I hope all the schools participating this year sends their best, but the way it is scheduled, I also dont blame some wrestlers to sit out. Again, my opinion.

Talking about dropping an event like this is definitely not a good thing. Also for all the teams and coaches trying to make a point by doing what they are really isn't gonna do much more than eliminate any "good" they want to happen.

There are several ideas out there to get this event to the right date and to correct the wrongs of how teams qualify. I myself have and idea and am currently listening to others, to continue to try and make it a great event. However, it will never be liked by all and definitely will never be perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT