ADVERTISEMENT

In five years from now, will they reduce the amount of regular ....

Yes

In a shameless money grab, the boys in Boone will add another round to the playoffs and have teams play 3 games in 8 days so they can get all the games in on time. What they SHOULD do is add a regular season game and eliminate the first round of the playoffs, at the very least in 4A, so we can avoid having 2 win teams travel halfway across the state to get their clocks cleaned so that Boone can get a paycheck. I can't believe coaches put up with it.

Verbum Dei

AMDG

Re: Yes

Originally posted by VerbumDei:
In a shameless money grab, the boys in Boone will add another round to the playoffs and have teams play 3 games in 8 days so they can get all the games in on time. What they SHOULD do is add a regular season game and eliminate the first round of the playoffs, at the very least in 4A, so we can avoid having 2 win teams travel halfway across the state to get their clocks cleaned so that Boone can get a paycheck. I can't believe coaches put up with it.

Verbum Dei

AMDG
Correct me if I am wrong but did coaches have a say when they expanded the playoffs?

I can see them eliminating Week 0 and just making that third week in August Week 1. That moves the games up a week and would allow them to play all playoff games on Fridays until the semis, when some teams will still have to play on Thursday out of necessity.

As for the playoffs, I don't think we have to go back to 16 teams, but eliminating the 4-seed would be good. Have the 2/3 seeds play each other in the first round and give the top seeds a bye to the second round. There have been enough 3 seeds over the years making enough noise to justify including them. But 4 seeds never win unless one district is pretty good and the other is awful (doesn't happen very often).

Originally posted by tm3308:
As for the playoffs, I don't think we have to go back to 16 teams, but eliminating the 4-seed would be good. Have the 2/3 seeds play each other in the first round and give the top seeds a bye to the second round. There have been enough 3 seeds over the years making enough noise to justify including them. But 4 seeds never win unless one district is pretty good and the other is awful (doesn't happen very often).
This will never happen without a big change of attitude in Boone. The idea of first-round byes has been floated before, but the IAHSAA seems to think that gives the teams with a bye some kind of unfair competitive advantage.

Personally, I think the only "disadvantage" at play here is the loss of playoff game income to the IAHSAA, but whatever.

Originally posted by KidSilverhair:

Originally posted by tm3308:
This will never happen without a big change of attitude in Boone. The idea of first-round byes has been floated before, but the IAHSAA seems to think that gives the teams with a bye some kind of unfair competitive advantage.

Personally, I think the only "disadvantage" at play here is the loss of playoff game income to the IAHSAA, but whatever.
In a sense it does, but perhaps you knew that. One team gets to rest up and practice for an extra week or so preparing for their next possible opponent, rather than risk injury beating up a 4-seed.

The drawback to that, of course, is teams' momentum stalling because of the down time.

I do agree, though, with anyone who thinks they should drop the 4-seed in 4A. They were kind of stuck before because of conference play, but now that 4A is all districts, this move needs to be made.

They need to get rid of the cut & paste, rank and file system of qualifying(top four from each district) and open it to the entire 4A class. They could still use a loose seeding system and geographic sensibility and get through to the semifinals without a Burlington @ Sioux City East kind of match-up.

In 4A, at least, they should drop from eight districts to six and make them all seven or eight-teamers. The top three from each district qualify automatically(18 teams) and the final 14 qualify based on the old point system. Top two seeds from each district are guaranteed First Round home playoff games, the final four spots go to the best of the rest.

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
In a sense it does, but perhaps you knew that. One team gets to rest up and practice for an extra week or so preparing for their next possible opponent, rather than risk injury beating up a 4-seed.
Well, yeah, I knew that. The point is, is it "unfair"? Or is it a reward to the teams who win their districts, and an extra hurdle for the 2- and 3-seeds?

Obviously a team with a first-round bye reaps a benefit, but the IAHSAA seems to react to that notion with outrage and horror - which again, I imagine has more to do with the lost playoff revenue than any kind of competitive "unfairness."

Originally posted by screwloose:
They need to get rid of the cut & paste, rank and file system of qualifying(top four from each district) and open it to the entire 4A class. They could still use a loose seeding system and geographic sensibility and get through to the semifinals without a Burlington @ Sioux City East kind of match-up.

In 4A, at least, they should drop from eight districts to six and make them all seven or eight-teamers. The top three from each district qualify automatically(18 teams) and the final 14 qualify based on the old point system. Top two seeds from each district are guaranteed First Round home playoff games, the final four spots go to the best of the rest.
I like the idea of automatic qualifiers (top three per district) and "at large" qualifiers to fill out the playoff field. We know they have the tools to determine those "at large" qualifiers. It's not like they'd have to figure out some new mathematical system. It sure would be a better way to determine playoff teams, I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT