ADVERTISEMENT

Illegal Slam? You make the call.

He lifted him up and drove him to the mat without touching a knee 1st. So yea I say it is a slam.

When you take a wrestler off his feet, it's your responsibility to return him to the mat safely. The lifting wrestler here has the other kid's arm, making it very difficult for him to brace his own fall. Also, the initial impact is the opposing wrestler's shoulder/head. I'd say in this case, it's close enough to justify an illegal slam call.

cubscurse... You are correct. When the knees hit the mat is irrelevant (it's stated that way in the rule book). It is the responsibility of the lifting wrestler to return the other wrestler to the mat safely. In this case, with the force used to return the wrestler to the mat and the trapped arm not allowing the wrestler to defend his impact, it is definitely an illegal slam. With that being said, I don't see how his knee was hurt in that type of slam. Unfortunately, a rule is a rule. The wrestler could not continue and therefore the lifting wrestler loses the match. Your question was it illegal… the answer is Yes.

Illegal slam call was justified. Wrestler B's arm was blocked and head and shoulder touched moments before Wrestler A's knee touched. This was not a safe landing and one point should be awarded. Bringing a kid to the mat hard head first with arm blocked is going to draw the call most every time.

Now.....if you are asking whether or not the kid could have continued or not....that is hard to answer and I would hope Wrestler B's coach would have encouraged him to get back out there if his head/shoulder were alright. Who knows about the knee thing....that looked a little fishy on the part of wrestler B?!

Yeah, it's impossible to say whether the opponent is hurt, and there's no way to regulate that. Just have to ensure that you don't put yourself in that position. Good to learn the lesson early.

Yes it was, and so was the one linked in this thread for the reasons stated above. Lesson learned.

Looked like a slam to me. And the slow-mo version looked even worse. There didn't seem to be anything to show he was trying to bring him back down safely.

Thanks for all the comments. So let me ask this? I see this type of lift and return all the time in high school and college....(see Dake and Caldwell this past weekend).

What does he change to make this a legal move?

Thanks again for the input!

The referee made the call without hesitation or doubt and was in superb position to observe the action. Further, if this is an 8th grader doing the slam, then the referee did an even better job.

As to better techniques, there are many things to improve upon;
-the riding position (video was very short)
-use of a foot stomp or trip to return him to the mat
-learning to avoid a dangerous move
-learning to be concerned about your fellow competitor (video was short, but difficult to see any apparent concern)

I don't think a criticism as a sore loser is supported, but the posting and video sure make a case for an opportunity to improve sportsmanship.

I'd work on sportsmanship, especially with an 8th grader, and the rest will follow.

SLAM

You have to return the wrestler to the mat SAFELY!!! Good lesson to learn hear rather then in the Sectionls like Brady Kime did for Sumner Fred last year.

Slam, now I think that rule is viewed differently at each level. But the offical did the right thing in this instance. Merry Christmas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT