ADVERTISEMENT

IHSBCA All State link

I'd have to agree with you Yanks. There are some very obvious omissions and a couple kids that are not very good on these teams.

I imagine, as it is with any team like this, there are more kids who deserve mention than there are spots. Plus, they have to have been nominated by their coach.

No- I think a joke is more like it. A guy makes it as a position player with 5 RBI and 11 runs scored, while a pitcher with a .45 ERA with 120 K's in 60 innings. They need to start with the All District lists. How can a guy be All State when they didn't get All Conference or All District???? A JOKE!!!!

A player can not be on the All State list without making his own all district team. As far as your comparison, they do not match. The pitcher competes with other pitchers. Not the position player. I do not know which players you are referring to, but I do know that you must be All District to make the IHSBCA team. All conference is not a requirement. The IHSBCA is not in control of conference teams or the INA team. Not sure there is an explanation if what you say happened has actually happened.

My mistake he did make the all district team. IMO the coaches need to get rid of the positions. There are too many great players playing the same position. Example - 90% of the hs shortstops are better than there teammate at 2nd base. Maybe have IF/OF/C/P/utility.

The positions may limit you from putting the best all around baseball players on the team. It is possible that the top 15-20 baseball players in a class could all be outfielders, or shortstops, etc. There is no perfect system.

I do understand your point. But, the second basemen might argue that they do not have a chance with all of the great shortstops taking their spots. Playing second base is a position that requires a similar, yet different, skill set. They may claim that your system is not fair to them. It is unfortunate that not every kid who may deserve being honored is on the list. When all is said and done, it is not something that should be a devastating moment in a player's career. We play the game for the enjoyment of the game, not for the accolades.

The coaches association has their structure to their team. Like it or not, I do believe that they try to honor the best kids. Do some get missed? Of course they do. For a variety of reasons. Could be the way the vote went. Maybe the coach didn't nominate the player. Maybe their district was not well represented. Either way, any player who performs at their highest possible level, should be proud of their effort, regardless of their batting average.

Newman lost 1-0 title game and has 1 player total between the 1st & 2nd team. Lisbon, a team the Knights handled pretty easily in the semis has 4? Does not seem quite right.

There is nothing that says you get more players just because you go deeper into the tournament. Lisbon was 35-7. But since they lost 7-3 to Newman the coaches association should make sure that there is the correct balance in the number of all state players each team gets? That would make no sense at all to me. Apparently Newman pulled off an upset if you go by all staters. Do you think a team that advances to state on a hot streak with a 18-22 record and upsets a team that is 35-2 should have more all staters than the 35-2 team? It makes no sense to count the number of kids each team has. Bottom line, the teams are released. You don't have to agree with it. It is what it is.

The Iowa Sports Network 4A Player of the Year is not on the "Super Team" behind kids hitting 100 points lower than he did... as well as having 1/4th of the stolen bases. One of the two is also in a small school conference. Awesome list...

Can't make the claim that only Seniors make super team either because there are some juniors on the "Super" team.

What makes the Iowa Sports Network the authority on high school baseball? Maybe I don't agree with their picks. Doesn't matter. The team is picked. It happens. BTW-thanks for making sure nobody made that claim about seniors only. I am happy to see that you can tell that there were juniors on the super team. Just because you don't agree with the team, it doesn't lose its validity. If it is all about stats, then we should just list the players by their batting average and say those are the best kids. I don't think so.

You obviously have never seen the player I am referring to play or you wouldn't make ridiculous comments like that. One of the top 5 all around athletes in the state of Iowa and baseball is still by far his best sport... scary considering the success he has had on the football field this year. DTW has never hit below .400 in his prep career, LEGITIMATELY stole 40+ bags last year (made more impressive considering he had 25 doubles) Tied for 3rd ALL-TIME NATIONALLY with 86 hits in a season, lead 4A in 5 categories not counting ABs which would make 6. Was moved to the lead-off spot this year so his RBI's dipped to a "paltry" 30 after leading 4A last year with 66 from the 3 hole.

If you think those players listed ahead of him are so much better than him defensively that it accounts for the difference in stats... I have been around a lot of baseball at a lot of levels (small HS, large HS, small college, major college, semi-pro, pro) and there are only a handful of OFs I have ever seen cover more ground than he does and almost all of those that do get paid to play.

Stats = Facts... Its hard to argue when you have to use politics, geography, and conjecture as the basis of your argument.

I'm tired of western Iowa kids being thought of as irrelevant. Could anyone name East's catcher outside of those that have played against them... probably not, but he has multiple opportunities to play D-1 baseball. Just because they live west of I-35 doesn't mean they can't tie their own shoes.

DTW is one of the best athletes i have ever seen. I saw every state tournament game this year and there weren't many, if any OF's better than him. The kid will catch any ball hit in the outfield. And i guess his bat isn't so bad either.. :)

I'm tired of western Iowa kids being thought of as irrelevant. Could anyone name East's catcher outside of those that have played against them... probably not, but he has multiple opportunities to play D-1 baseball. Just because they live west of I-35 doesn't mean they can't tie their own shoes.
Trey Lapke is also a stud behind the plate
This post was edited on 10/11 11:40 PM by mntwinsrule

You have to remember that your coach has to be a member of the IHSBCA to get on this team. Also, they heed to go to the meetings. Plus, it's a good ol boy network.

Originally posted by acoach#5:
You have to remember that your coach has to be a member of the IHSBCA to get on this team. Also, they heed to go to the meetings. Plus, it's a good ol boy network.
SC East only has 2 of those 3 going for them... I will have to share with their coaches that they need to work their way into the "good ol boy" network...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT