ADVERTISEMENT

If only Bush 43 had just blamed Louisiana

Reasoned

All District
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I’m a fan of W but his administration never recovered from the media pounding he took from the hurricane Katrina response. Now we learn how Michael Brown (Bush’s FEMA director) should have responded…”We’re not in charge, the state is”! 😂. Yeah, I’m sure they would have let him get away with that…..my, how it pays to have a sycophant media on your team.
On Friday’s broadcast of CNN’s “The Lead,” FEMA spokesperson John Mills responded to criticism of the disaster response in Hawaii by stating that there is work that’s being done, but “FEMA’s not in charge, the state is in charge.” And stated that whether the state response is satisfactory is “a question for the state.”

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Not that I’m a fan of W but his administration never recovered from the media pounding he took from the hurricane Katrina response. Now we learn how Michael Brown (Bush’s FEMA director) should have responded…”We’re not in charge, the state is”! 😂. Yeah, I’m sure they would have let him get away with that…..my, how it pays to have a sycophant media on your team.
On Friday’s broadcast of CNN’s “The Lead,” FEMA spokesperson John Mills responded to criticism of the disaster response in Hawaii by stating that there is work that’s being done, but “FEMA’s not in charge, the state is in charge.” And stated that whether the state response is satisfactory is “a question for the state.”
Isn’t it true that the Stat has to request FEMA assistance and is responsible for the application and expenditures of funding that it deems appropriate?

There is a difference between a hurricane and a wildfire which with proper attention and warnings might not have had the bad results it had. Maybe more coukd have been accomplished to help in Katrina but you can’t stop a hurricane. .

I’m not sure who is responsible for doing what, but ultimately the FEMA response to Katrina was terrific. The biggest problem was the parish political leaders and the Fed supervisors agreeing on exactly how something should have be done. That stalled some things from being done as rapidly as they should have been, but the money was available.

I‘m not sure but I believe the State has to claim a disaster or something and request aid before the Feds can do anything. Once they do that the Feds can legallly come to their aid without violating state‘s rights. That’s why you see governors do it so quickly now.

I’m not sure who is responsible for doing what, but ultimately the FEMA response to Katrina was terrific. The biggest problem was the parish political leaders and the Fed supervisors agreeing on exactly how something should have be done. That stalled some things from being done as rapidly as they should have been, but the money was available.

I‘m not sure but I believe the State has to claim a disaster or something and request aid before the Feds can do anything. Once they do that the Feds can legallly come to their aid without violating state‘s rights. That’s why you see governors do it so quickly now.
Mayor Ray Nagin had the opportunity to head the warning and get folks out of Chocolate City but neglected those folks and let them sit on rooftops until they could be rescued. If he had only loaded up these unused buses and taken those folks to higher ground.

0fc3f6a1c51486d0e93e2e07e6cc84dd--hurricane-katrina-school-buses.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: dhetiger
Bump.. I learned more information from real live a voting Rep. about FEMA and Pacific Rim strategy and basing for Pacific Fleet. Including HI and Guam. Let’s see if some one comes up with the real reason for the MAGAt cult level conspiracy about the FEMA reorg “BEFORE” the fires.

Bump.. I learned more information from real live a voting Rep. about FEMA and Pacific Rim strategy and basing for Pacific Fleet. Including HI and Guam. Let’s see if some one comes up with the real reason for the MAGAt cult level conspiracy about the FEMA reorg “BEFORE” the fires.

I don't think anybody has pushed the conspiracy theory here. We've only asked you why the dementia riddled president that you love and support claimed they were there before the fires?

Like Husky said, Biden claimed to have people on the ground before the fires. Very odd, and stupid, statement.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody has pushed the conspiracy theory here. We've only asked you why the dementia riddled president that you love and support claimed they were there before the fires?
Because a major reorganization had just taken place in Marc- May that more military centric but quite strategic for both. Japan and Phillipines are developing a network.
Our inevitable war with China required that we shore up some things. FEMA civilian structure was included.

Like Husky said, Biden claimed to have people on the ground before the fires. Very odd, and stupid, statement. And please, don't act like you know a fvcking thing about FEMA.
May be- butDon’t forget that at Siemens I was in charge of staging containerized desalination and ultrafiltration stations during Katrina and the Thailand tsunamis. That was the water supply. I trained a whole bunch of FEMA logistics staff.

And I can GUARANFVCTINGtee you that a US Rep Congressman that I know personally is a pretty good source ;)

May be- butDon’t forget that at Siemens I was in charge of staging containerized desalination and ultrafiltration stations during Katrina and the Thailand tsunamis. That was the water supply. I trained a whole bunch of FEMA logistics staff.

And I can GUARANFVCTINGtee you that a US Rep Congressman that I know personally is a pretty good source ;)
I can guarantee that your Congressman knows how to fund them. I'd bet that is pretty much the extent of his FEMA knowledge. If you want to refer to a source, I know that you know a couple of people personally who have worked MANY FEMA funded projects.

I can guarantee that your Congressman knows how to fund them. I'd bet that is pretty much the extent of his FEMA knowledge. If you want to refer to a source, I know that you know a couple of people personally who have worked MANY FEMA funded projects.
Understood … just a little reminder that I personally have participated with FEMA sourcing and logistics in some pretty big disasters.

I’m out of that side of the business now… but some of my most professionally rewarding moments have been working FEMA and seeing long lines of thirsty refugees ( and workers) get a jug of safe drinkable water after the rivers a treatment plants were contaminated.

Those machines are amazing and there are probably 100k stacked up split between regional depots. Looks like a Borg cube of 40 ft containers

Like Husky said, Biden claimed to have people on the ground before the fires. Very odd, and stupid, statement.
You are a pretty smart guy… 1/2-3 that think of as completely rational . You know this … if the earth was sectioned like an orange… what’s the most disaster prone slice on our planet … considering volcanic, seismic, tsunami , typhoon and proximity the greatest naval threat vs trade routes targets?

. What’s our most militarily vulnerable slice?

Softball.

Because a major reorganization had just taken place in Marc- May that more military centric but quite strategic for both. Japan and Phillipines are developing a network.
Our inevitable war with China required that we shore up some things. FEMA civilian structure was included.
That meant he had FEMA people on Maui?

You are a pretty smart guy… 1/2-3 that think of as completely rational . You know this … if the earth was sectioned like an orange… what’s the most disaster prone slice on our planet … considering volcanic, seismic, tsunami , typhoon and proximity the greatest naval threat vs trade routes targets?

. What’s our most militarily vulnerable slice?

Softball.
Did Hawaii request to have those FEMA people there before hand? As you acknowledged in your first reply in this thread, the state has to request assistance. Not every "disaster" meets the criteria for FEMA involvement, so it does seem a little irresponsible to just have FEMA personnel on the ground just to have them there. The fires started in early August, about the same time that hurricane season gets ramped up. The Gulf Coast has certainly seen more billion dollar disasters than Hawaii, especially since 2017.

Last edited:
You know, the point of the OP was to highlight the blatant double standard with respect to the MSM and their narrative concerning Republican vs Democrat administration’s handling of disasters. Bush 43 was destroyed over Katrina (never mind the Democrat mayor of NO complete incompetence). Yet nary a word concerning the complete Democrat run federal, state and local Maui tragedy, in fact, we are to believe it was the climate hoax which is responsible……led by the Republican Party’s policies! 🙄

Arts Have you ever been to Lahaina? Just checking?
I dont think so. I have stayed awhile on all the other islands I think but not Maui. What’s that got to do with Biden having FEMApeople on Maui before the fire?

I like Kauai a lot better Than the other island. It is not crowded with visitors. When I go to Hawaii it is for total relaxation and for that I enjoy Kauai the most. The most tourist thing I did on Kauai while there was take a helicopter trip up to the volcanos in the interior of the Island. I think they are the center of the greatest rainfall place in the world. I think they get over 400 inches a year. Kauai is the most undeveloped island. Totally relaxing. Played a little golf, did some beach, a lot of pool, and then cocktails before meals I stayed at a Marriott on a beautiful little bay.

Look everyone! It’s the all knowing gheyter! Now he has expert knowledge of FEMA!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT