ADVERTISEMENT

IC West vs the rest of the field this year?

Rockeyes

Freshman
Feb 27, 2003
Going for the umpteenth State Championship in the past 10 years, dating back to Nate Kaeding's HS days.

No doubt ICW is the team beat, but Kennedy, Valley and Ankeny will have to be reckoned with as well.

I think there are realistically 5 teams that have a chance to win the 3A championship.

IC West - The clear favorite to repeat. They bring back a very strong nucleus of players. Most of whom play together for EIU. Tanner Schilling will score close to 30 goals this year.

Ankeny - Upset by Ames in the semi-final of the state tournament. Entered the 2009 tournament as the #1 seed and finished in 4th place. Also bring back a stong nucleus of players. I believe they return 8-9 of 11 starters. Will likely be the team to beat out of central Iowa.

Valley - Lost to Ankeny in substate final last year. 2nd year in a row Valley has not qualified for the state tournament. Always have talented players but have not been your "traditional" Valley for a few years now. Don't sleep on Valley though as they've likely got a chip on their shoulder after falling short of the tourney again.

Dowling Catholic - Lost to Ames in a shootout in 1st round of 2009 state tournament. Graduated their top three players in Carlson, Teeling, and Lyons. Have a very strong Junior class. Maybe a year away from winning another championship once IC West and Ankeny lose the 2010 senior class to graduation.

CR Kennedy - Another team that brings back a solid group of players. Proved last year by defeating IC West that if they play well and get some bounces to go their way they can beat anyone. Arguably, the 2nd best team from the east side of the state.

Sleepers: CR Washington, Bettendorf, Johnston, DSM Roosevelt.

My prediction: IC West vs. Ankeny in the final. IC West wins 3-1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT