ADVERTISEMENT

I posted this on a Georgia board and got attacked...

GwinnettDawg

All Conference
Aug 7, 2001
Player Development...

So I was driving home yesterday and was listening to Mark Packer on ESPNU radio. He’s a rock petter, but I really like his show despite that.

Anyway, he was comparing the 6 elite programs in terms of number of 5 star recruits and also first round picks- Georgia, Bama, Clemson, OU, OSU, and LSU.. Not that all picks are 5*, but just the correlation. I don’t remember all the stats for every team, so I’ll lust compare to Bama. Over the period, 5 or 6 years I think, Bama has put 21 players in the 1st rd of the draft. Georgia only has 7. But here’s the glaring difference. Both programs had signed 20 5* recruits during that time. Far more than the rest. Georgia is far worse than the other 5 in that respect. So why is that? Why has player development been such an issue fir Kirby and even with Richt? Donnan put a lot more guys in the pros and higher picks, IIRC.

This is the number one reason Georgia has not won multiple natties, IMO. Tyson Campbell never did shit. Still,waiting on Dean,, Walker and several others to do something to make the nation take notice.,

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Player Development...

So I was driving home yesterday and was listening to Mark Packer on ESPNU radio. He’s a rock petter, but I really like his show despite that.

Anyway, he was comparing the 6 elite programs in terms of number of 5 star recruits and also first round picks- Georgia, Bama, Clemson, OU, OSU, and LSU.. Not that all picks are 5*, but just the correlation. I don’t remember all the stats for every team, so I’ll lust compare to Bama. Over the period, 5 or 6 years I think, Bama has put 21 players in the 1st rd of the draft. Georgia only has 7. But here’s the glaring difference. Both programs had signed 20 5* recruits during that time. Far more than the rest. Georgia is far worse than the other 5 in that respect. So why is that? Why has player development been such an issue fir Kirby and even with Richt? Donnan put a lot more guys in the pros and higher picks, IIRC.

This is the number one reason Georgia has not won multiple natties, IMO. Tyson Campbell never did shit. Still,waiting on Dean,, Walker and several others to do something to make the nation take notice.,
GOAT recruiting class was BAMA 2017. I’m thinking 9-10 combined in 1st RND in 2020-21 drafts? Haven’t counted the guys in top 100 but probably 17/25. Stunning .

Last edited:
Reactions: Reasoned
Just curious, why were you attacked for stating the obvious?

1d7447c0783e4a079bd62ac05eccd9e8.jpg

Player Development...

Fvcked up a political board with a football post
Thanks GD .. asshole

Im not a fan of circle jerks. Big reason why I post here more than all Georgia boards combined. I’ll be interested to see what Zoso and GDII think.
100% in agreeance. Player development isn’t near what it should be. Kirby is winning on talent alone right now. And yes, the Disney Dawgs over there are ridiculous.

Last edited:
Player Development...

It's all about the QB brother. Also, Saban has been getting guys like Tyson Campbell and Ojulari (who may be the steal of the draft to the Giants) to return for their senior seasons, which is huge. Watch how Big Jordan Davis does this year.

Player Development...

Another reason might be the 3* that GA gets and how they turn out or are developed. Somebody on Rivals national team of in the last year wrote an article about the 3* that LSU recruited in Orgeron first 3 years. There were about 14 or something like that and they were all major contributors to LSU’s success. Several were even 2* and one was not even listed by Rivals when he was signed, though he did camp his way to a 4* by the end of the summer. Maybe Farrel wrote it, not sure. LSU always has a significant number of players drafted and many even sign as UDFA. LSU has been the #1 or #2 school, mostly #1, school with players on NDL rosters each year.

It's all about the QB brother. Also, Saban has been getting guys like Tyson Campbell and Ojulari (who may be the steal of the draft to the Giants) to return for their senior seasons, which is huge. Watch how Big Jordan Davis does this year.

We missed big when Barmore didn't return for his final season. I think he could have been a top 5 pick in 2022 if he had.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Another reason might be the 3* that GA gets and how they turn out or are developed. Somebody on Rivals national team of in the last year wrote an article about the 3* that LSU recruited in Orgeron first 3 years. There were about 14 or something like that and they were all major contributors to LSU’s success. Several were even 2* and one was not even listed by Rivals when he was signed, though he did camp his way to a 4* by the end of the summer. Maybe Farrel wrote it, not sure. LSU always has a significant number of players drafted and many even sign as UDFA. LSU has been the #1 or #2 school, mostly #1, school with players on NDL rosters each year.
Kirby just had a Junior 3star DB (Stokes) go in the first round for the second time in 3 years. Baker (Senior) won the Thorpe Award 2 years ago before going in the first. Monty Rice (Senior) was also a 3star LB who was just drafted in the 3rd round by the Titans. Kirby is doing fine with development. There's less than a handful of teams that are doing better than UGA draft wise so most fans should probably keep quiet outside of Bama, LSU, Ohio State (who played against just very few drafted players last year- LOL) and maybe Clemson. I can get some of the frustration from UGA fans and like most things it could be better but it's also not as bad as it may seem.

Kirby just had a Junior 3star DB (Stokes) go in the first round for the second time in 3 years. Baker (Senior) won the Thorpe Award 2 years ago before going in the first. Monty Rice (Senior) was also a 3star LB who was just drafted in the 3rd round by the Titans. Kirby is doing fine with development. There's less than a handful of teams that are doing better than UGA draft wise so most fans should probably keep quiet outside of Bama, LSU, Ohio State (who played against just very few drafted players last year- LOL) and maybe Clemson. I can get some of the frustration from UGA fans and like most things it could be better but it's also not as bad as it may seem.
So he has had some success converting 3*, but I'd say he has a problem getting the 5s to play at the level they are expected to. Malik Herring signed as an UDFA. So why couldn't T Walker surpass him? Nolan Smith was the #1 recruit in his class. he hasn't done much either. Same for Dean.

Reactions: dhetiger
Also one of the few schools in history to employ a man that pummels women in the face.

So he has had some success converting 3*, but I'd say he has a problem getting the 5s to play at the level they are expected to. Malik Herring signed as an UDFA. So why couldn't T Walker surpass him? Nolan Smith was the #1 recruit in his class. he hasn't done much either. Same for Dean.
Well, Moses the AL 5* LB did get drafted but it was because of injury situation but Wilson the DT at FSU who I think was #1 or at least #1 DT and 5* did not get drafted. I’m trying to figure that one out. I don’t think it was an injury. I believe he started every year for FSU. That sounds like a coach at FSU said something bad about him. There had to be a major put down.

I’ve been very disappointed in Nolan Smith. Dean has been solid, but well short of his hype.

Well, Moses the AL 5* LB did get drafted but it was because of injury situation but Wilson the DT at FSU who I think was #1 or at least #1 DT and 5* did not get drafted. I’m trying to figure that one out. I don’t think it was an injury. I believe he started every year for FSU. That sounds like a coach at FSU said something bad about him. There had to be a major put down.
Bama had 6 first rounderes. No problem there.

Moses was meh in 2019 and flat awful in 2020. Maybe that's on the injury, maybe he wasn't all the way ready (mentally or physically) but there's no way I would have drafted him.

Yes but 14 for 15 be major contributors? LSU had a 2* and a 3* go the first round of the 2020 draft and a 3* and a player that was even in the Rivals record when LSU offered and he accepted in the top rounds.

Herring would have been a third or fourth rounder had he not gotten injured at the Senior Bowl. Really hate it for the guy.
Dean is playing about the same level as Roquan Smith was playing at his sophomore season. Let’s see if he takes the next step like Roquan did. T. Walker is set for a monster year also. Nolan really gets his chance this year as well. It's not like we can complain about the defensive product on the field the last several years because we've consistently been one of the best, if not the best in CFB. We have to convince these Juniors to stay for their senior years unless they're going first round (although Stokes and Campbell were basically 1st round this year).
Azeez (another Junior) falling to the Giants at 50 was crazy... all because of an injury his senior year of high school. This past season should have shown he was fine leading the SEC with 8.5 sacks (even with Vandy screwing us out of a game).

Herring would have been a third or fourth rounder had he not gotten injured at the Senior Bowl. Really hate it for the guy.
Dean is playing about the same level as Roquan Smith was playing at his sophomore season. Let’s see if he takes the next step like Roquan did. T. Walker is set for a monster year also. Nolan really gets his chance this year as well. It's not like we can complain about the defensive product on the field the last several years because we've consistently been one of the best, if not the best in CFB. We have to convince these Juniors to stay for their senior years unless they're going first round (although Stokes and Campbell were basically 1st round this year).
Azeez (another Junior) falling to the Giants at 50 was crazy... all because of an injury his senior year of high school. This past season should have shown he was fine leading the SEC with 8.5 sacks (even with Vandy screwing us out of a game).
All good points

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT