ADVERTISEMENT

How do you feel about the transfer rules?

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
How do you feel about the transfer rules and how much time an athlete
has to sit if they change schools? Are they good, okay, terrible? If
you don't like them, what should they be?

Should have to sit out a full year unless the family moves into the district.

Collusion is shut down that way.

Luke, you ol' flame fanner...lol. You see what's going on on the baseball forum and decided to give it some legs here? You crack me up.

Originally posted by screwloose:
Luke, you ol' flame fanner...lol. You see what's going on on the baseball forum and decided to give it some legs here? You crack me up.
I haven't posted the private school multiplier question yet. That is when you can call me a fan flamer.

I ain't mad at ya...hopefully you aren't mad at me. I was just laughing because it's that time of year when the whole multiplier thing gets raging on the baseball forum. Same thing will happen in the football forum after the title games around Thanksgiving. And I'm sure you've seen the 1.65 topic on the other board. Just a coincidence. I'm ready for the talking to end and the games to begin. High school, college and pro.

It's not transferring when they enter a school in 9th grade.

Transfer rules appear to. E working. Has there been questionable transfer activities occurring that we missed?

These days families are willing to move into a school district to get around transfer rules, so I think they are becoming less effective. We've seen it recently with Solon's QB and now West Branch for this upcoming season.

So how does it work when a kid moves in with a family (not their own) and claims their address as his residence just to attend a school?

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
These days families are willing to move into a school district to get around transfer rules, so I think they are becoming less effective. We've seen it recently with Solon's QB and now West Branch for this upcoming season.
Families actually moving into a district isn't "getting around" transfer rules. If you actually pick up and move so your residence is now in a different school district, you should be able to participate in that district without restrictions. You might complain about an athlete/family "shopping around" for the best opportunity, but actually moving into the district shows a certain element of commitment.

Open enrollment moves or finding a handy friend or relative to move in with ... obviously that's different. I am not sure how to police that adequately, but some limitation on participation seems logical. A full year seems excessive to me, but just limiting it to the current/nearest sports season is easily "gotten around" by anyone who knows how to use a calendar.

This post was edited on 8/4 11:22 AM by KidSilverhair

Originally posted by KidSilverhair:

Families actually moving into a district isn't "getting around" transfer rules. If you actually pick up and move so your residence is now in a different school district, you should be able to participate in that district without restrictions. You might complain about an athlete/family "shopping around" for the best opportunity, but actually moving into the district shows a certain element of commitment.

Open enrollment moves or finding a handy friend or relative to move in with ... obviously that's different. I am not sure how to police that adequately, but some limitation on participation seems logical. A full year seems excessive to me, but just limiting it to the current/nearest sports season is easily "gotten around" by anyone who knows how to use a calendar.

This post was edited on 8/4 11:22 AM by KidSilverhair
Especially when said family had a job transfer and was easier to move closer than drive 60 minutes each way.

The next sport season can be a little shaky based on the school, I have seen kids who had issues with a suspension allowed to go out for another sport that overlapped his chosen sport to get his required missed time in. It went against that coaches long established policy of not allowing students to do both sports, the fact that his dad was the coach and he was a returning all state players probably had nothing to do with it.

and evidently the old school way of moving in with another player's family works.

Offensive linemen can move in with running backs in 2013. I guess that is legal.

The policy is abused so much who really cares? Just do away with it. There's open enrollment, private schools, moving into districts, parents getting jobs to manage restaurants for free rent, etc etc. If you want whats best for your kid whether it's academics, athletics, you should be able to seek that out. To me that would level the playing field by eliminating rules that are so easy to bend.

This is America, not Nazi- Germany
smile.r191677.gif

There's 'bending' rules and then there is breaking rules.

Public schools are more on the bending side than the breaking side.

I am not inferring a specific school, just stating an observation.

Originally posted by BlameIt:

and evidently the old school way of moving in with another player's family works.

Offensive linemen can move in with running backs in 2013. I guess that is legal.
You've never provided a lick of proof to support this assertion, which you've made repeatedly over the last year.

Also, in response to a question from another poster: a player can be eligible to play immediately by moving in with someone, but only if that second family/uncle/whatever is given legal guardianship.

a player moves to public school A
a player, who comes from a well to do family, enrolls at private school A.

I see ZERO difference.

Private schools are open enrollment for the wealthy.
Plain and simple.

Don't give me the sob story free lunch crap. That's a very small sample size. You don't think public schools of the same size experience the same thing?

Originally posted by tm3308:
Originally posted by BlameIt:

You've never provided a lick of proof to support this assertion, which you've made repeatedly over the last year.

Also, in response to a question from another poster: a player can be eligible to play immediately by moving in with someone, but only if that second family/uncle/whatever is given legal guardianship.
GoEagles provided a tea leaf for you, TM3308.
Go from there.

It was actually 2012, do we really want to dig in to specific cases if so nice work finding one case guys. Somewhere a dead horse is getting another whip mark. Any open enrollment going on in these other schools, fairly certain I can find some in area schools if you want me to dig....but oh that would be different because there is a family connection or school size or some other rationalization. The running back is gone and he has taken shots from some on this board, is the lineman back? was he a difference maker last year? Enlighten us with your wisdom o wise one. Wow it almost feels like mid season, we don't normally start these until mid season when the games are boring.

That player's family situation was explained in detail in another thread. Seems a bit hypocritical to try to judge that situation on one hand, while welcoming a football specific transfer move to your own school on the other.

I would have 1 rule. It would be called the "One full Semester Rule".

Open enrolling? You are ineligible from varsity play for 1 full semester. (If it is mid semester you wait till the next and it will be that full semester).

Transferring to or from a Private School? You are ineligible from varsity play for 1 full semester.

Moving? You are ineligible from varsity play for 1 full semester.

Easy rule and would clear up a lot of problems for everyone including the coaches. High school sports wasn't (and shouldn't) be considered a free agency.

That player's family situation was explained in detail in another thread. Seems a bit hypocritical to try to judge that situation on one hand, while welcoming a football specific transfer move to your own school on the other.
Player A moved in with a player's family.

Player B moved with his own family to the WB school district.

Explain the definition of hypocrite to me again, please. I think I missed that part of class growing up.

Player B's mother works in a community that is 20 miles from WB; she was 50 miles away before the move (one way). So you would be using tunnel vision if you feel that had no bearing on the family's decision.

On one hand a person hand picks a school district due to football that is 20 miles away from work, on the other hand a kids divorced family moves back to rural Iowa and he doesn't want to leave his friends.

Not so different, and it eliminates any reasonable right to complain without being a hypocrite.

I guess I would fall into a drop the rule entirely. This is high school and just like if I want to send my kid to a school for academic reason then someone should be able to send their kid to a school for sports reason. Nobody is getting paid , other than a trophy, which sets in a case, no one benefits from a state title. Now some kid may benefit from having his abilities show cased at a bigger or "better" school. If that helps that kid get a scholarship to play in college then so what.

Originally posted by privateer13:
I guess I would fall into a drop the rule entirely. This is high school and just like if I want to send my kid to a school for academic reason then someone should be able to send their kid to a school for sports reason. Nobody is getting paid , other than a trophy, which sets in a case, no one benefits from a state title. Now some kid may benefit from having his abilities show cased at a bigger or "better" school. If that helps that kid get a scholarship to play in college then so what.
No one benefits from a state title? Really? Success not only breeds success, it attracts... whether it is private or public.

On one hand a person hand picks a school district due to football that is 20 miles away from work, on the other hand a kids divorced family moves back to rural Iowa and he doesn't want to leave his friends.

Not so different, and it eliminates any reasonable right to complain without being a hypocrite.
that's a tough situation for the kid, personally.

but it doesn't make living with another family legal, bro. period.
This post was edited on 8/5 11:33 AM by BlameIt

The state disagreed, perhaps we can go to our friends north of Iowa City where an apartment for a family suddenly appears for this gifted player, or an empty house in the QC area that shows up as an address for a couple of families, an Iowa City West kid transfers into a community close to the eastern side of Iowa City, a standout lineman that happens to live in the Iowa City school district that doesn't go to City, West or Regina, heck why only move to be 20 miles closer to work? why not move closer? So many variables, so much mud that can be slung on many different fronts. If you want to hang your hat on one lineman over a 4 year period and that is the drum you want to keep banging, feel free. Do you think that transfer didn't get sent to the state? Do you really think that the powers that be in WB, used to be Wilton haven't dug and dug trying to find things that are being done against the rules? But you know maybe they found things that are wrong and they just don't want to turn those things in, sounds very believable doesn't it? I would guess there are a lot of eyes focused on Regina from opposing schools, the state etc. and still there haven't been issues raised that have merit.

Piggybacking off of what cidhawkeye said, everyone I am sure has heard the rumors about fake apartments and places to live so that athletes can legally transfer and not be forced to sit. Has the state ever busted any athlete/their family/a school for basically having a bogus address? I don't know if it has ever been answer but who looks into it for the state? How in-depth do they check the old residence vs. the new one?

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:
Piggybacking off of what cidhawkeye said, everyone I am sure has heard the rumors about fake apartments and places to live so that athletes can legally transfer and not be forced to sit. Has the state ever busted any athlete/their family/a school for basically having a bogus address? I don't know if it has ever been answer but who looks into it for the state? How in-depth do they check the old residence vs. the new one?
I'm sure most the time it is sour grapes, but I am not naive enough to think it doesn't happen. For example, kid's parents "split up" and one parent "rents" a property in a new school district where kid transfers to live with parent. Or parents own a apartment complex in neighboring school district and 18 year old son lives there. These things happen. There is no way for the state to prove such a thing without a major invasion of privacy. I'm kinda one of those coiled rattlesnake flag types that isn't too fond of any government agency spying on my residence or even allowing them inside. I expect everyone to follow the rules, but I know they don't. There maybe too many rules. If a family from Iowa City or Mississippi wants to send their kid to West Branch that is fine with me. If a family in West Branch wants to pay for their kid to attend Regina, that is fine with me. A great way to get families from bending the rules is to eliminate the rule. That would level the playing field between the benders and non-benders.

Originally posted by rkhemp:

I'm sure most the time it is sour grapes, but I am not naive enough to think it doesn't happen. For example, kid's parents "split up" and one parent "rents" a property in a new school district where kid transfers to live with parent. Or parents own a apartment complex in neighboring school district and 18 year old son lives there. These things happen. There is no way for the state to prove such a thing without a major invasion of privacy. I'm kinda one of those coiled rattlesnake flag types that isn't too fond of any government agency spying on my residence or even allowing them inside. I expect everyone to follow the rules, but I know they don't. There maybe too many rules. If a family from Iowa City or Mississippi wants to send their kid to West Branch that is fine with me. If a family in West Branch wants to pay for their kid to attend Regina, that is fine with me. A great way to get families from bending the rules is to eliminate the rule. That would level the playing field between the benders and non-benders.
The+only+sensible+way+to+live+in+this+world+is+without+rules.jpg

That would be so amazingly interesting. I think we all know it will never happen but it'd be great.

A few other states have separate associations for private and public schools (somehow they can handle all the boys and girls under one roof). Because of this, the athletes don't have to sit when they change schools.

That would be so amazingly interesting. I think we all know it will never happen but it'd be great.

A few other states have separate associations for private and public schools (somehow they can handle all the boys and girls under one roof). Because of this, the athletes don't have to sit when they change schools.
Would that not enable the kids (and probably more the parents) to hop between schools based upon current week record and have one school suddenly get all the superior athletes during the season which would greatly enhance that schools success?

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:

Would that not enable the kids (and probably more the parents) to hop between schools based upon current week record and have one school suddenly get all the superior athletes during the season which would greatly enhance that schools success?
I don't think the coaches would completely support it but the answer is yes.

I would say if you begin a sport at a school, you are ineligible to compete in that season at another school. Gotta have some rules
smile.r191677.gif

Barring a legitimate move to another district, students would have to finish the season at their original school.

But isn't the question of what makes a "legitimate move" really what we're all talking about here? I mean, if it was easy to determine how legitimate a student's change of district was, we wouldn't have anything to discuss, right?

Most of the argument comes from moving between school years. Maybe I'm wrong and I am too lazy to look it up, but if a kid moves to another district after school has started they have to sit out, before school or semester he is ok? Maybe it is a semester thing. But there the rules are all fuzzy. There is a wrestling team that won state duals after mid season transfers from Ohio. Would these kids have still been eligible if they transferred in from another school in the state? Again, I don;t know all the details of the situation or the rules of the state. I have looked up the rules before but can't remember them all, heck I don't even think the state remembers them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT