ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Openings 2018-19

Washington has posted their opening and Van Buren has hired 75 year old Lloyd Sisco

Holy cow - Lloyd Sisco coached at WACO back when I played football in the old Blackhawk Conference back in the early 1980s.
He was also the head coach at Ellsworth when they won the National Championship back in the late 80s and then left to be the head coach at Livingston Alabama. Lost track of him after that.

Lenox- A program with a rich tradition in 8 man football.

Also, I read that Centervilles coach will now be the new HC at Panorama (Panora).

He did a great job at Burlington for 1 year and was not given the teaching position he was promised so he moved on.

Estherville Lincoln Central has been posted. They are looking for a new football coach for the 2nd year in a row.

How many different coaches have they had in the last 10 years, I would guess at least 4 if not more.

Shenandoah has, according to KMA Radio, not retained their HFC. They will be posting soon I would assume. No explanation was given as to why his contract was not being renewed

Isn't Western Dubuque boys basketball coach open? Coach Geraghty has announced retirement after 500th win. Great job. Largest school district in the state- geographical- from which to draw. Won the Wamac this past year. Winning tradition. Going into the MVC with IC Liberty next season to make it a 16-team conference. About two-thirds of the teams in the conference have won the 4A, 3A state championship, several multiple times. Has to be a fantastic opportunity.

Last edited:
I heard from family friend, that Beckman had hired Mark Atwater.
Linn-Mar-Coe grad, was at Estherville.
His dad Larry was the former head coach at West Delaware in the late 80s and changed that program around. I think he just retired from Coe as D coordinator this last season.

Pat Trewin named Decorah Head coach, has been an assistant for 22 years. Not a surprise at all that they hired an assistant. Decorah is a school that has been very successfull doing the same thing for about 50 years now.

Maybe they should not have gotten rid of Tighe so fast?! #s not very good right now and 2nd coaching search in 2 years. Program will not be very good for a while IMO.

Rudd Rockford Marble Rock also known as RRMR or Rockford is open, that's an 11 man dropping back down to 8 man.

Shenandoah has, according to KMA Radio, not retained their HFC. They will be posting soon I would assume. No explanation was given as to why his contract was not being renewed

Well, if anyone has been following this, you have a whole district in upheaval. Superintendent and Board went against the opinions of the AD, former AD, and countless others. Here is a great recap from Derek Martin at KMA

Reactions: falconfanx3
I have two comments on this, first off I don't see anyone really wanting to apply for this job after what has come out. Why would a coach want to put themselves in a situation where more or less they are not able to hold kids accountable for their actions. Any coach who has success is holding their kids accountable, without it failure is going to happen.

Secondly, I have relatives that have experience with Dr. Nelson, and they have nothing but bad things to say about her, weak leadership, does not support her employees, etc. To me this shows that, the board could have went against this, with all of the people who showed up in support of the coach, but often they go with the wants of the superintendent.

Shen hired an assistant who was already on the staff.

Missouri Valley hired an assistant who was already on staff.

Both of these reports are coming out of KMA Sports

Fort Dodge Messenger: Matt Dillon (Former Dowling and Cornell HFC) has been hired as the Head Football Coach of the Gaels.

Keokuk hired Quentin Hamner a D-Coordinator at a big school in Kansas City, but is originally from the Keokuk area I think he graduated from a small high school in Missouri about 20 miles from Keokuk.

Just heard that Jesup was now open, whats going on there as we play them this year. They have some of the best facilities in Iowa regardless of class including their weight room. Anyone know if North Tama or MFL found a new coach yet.

Looks like North Tama hired long time asst McDermit as the head coach. He was their D coordinator for many years then retired I think. He was there when they were really good years ago winning state championships.

Looks like North Tama hired long time asst McDermit as the head coach. He was their D coordinator for many years then retired I think. He was there when they were really good years ago winning state championships.
Has been back on staff since retiring/moving to administrative position for around 15 years. Was also head coach there for about 20 years in '70's and '80's and was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think they lucked out by getting him back.

Has been back on staff since retiring/moving to administrative position for around 15 years. Was also head coach there for about 20 years in '70's and '80's and was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think they lucked out by getting him back.
They have to be really close to 8 man enrollment I would think. He will have his work cut out for him as that new district is brutal with Hudson, East Buc, Wapsie and Grundy Center. You could see at least two of them in the top 10 to start the year.

Get this: aggressive practices, overworking Little Johnny in the weight room and the use of creatine.

Good lord - this is all we had (minus the Creatine) back in the day... Football is an aggressive, physical sport folks - what the hell do they expect? Weight room... our kids do weights year-round, have a speed\power\agility camp along with lifting for the next week. Kids are up at 0530, eat, go lift, go to camp, go to their Summer sport if they have one, go their job and repeat...

Regarding Creatine - it is NOT recommended that those under 18 use this supplement. Can have a drastic effect on the kidneys. https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-that-creatines-not-for-teens-getting-through

And creatine? We’re talking about a supplement that’s meant to help with muscle fatigue, produce more energy and improve high-intensity exercise performance. Heck, folks even use it to help them with Parkinson’s disease and other neurological diseases. Oh, and let me make it clear - creatine is a LEGAL supplement. I can walk into a store and buy it today.

Legal doesn't make it right. Plenty of legal things that can do better for kids. Big fan of chocolate milk.

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT