ADVERTISEMENT

GVC new player

I hear he was merely looking for a quality Christian education, and found it at GVC...basketball was way down the list...pure coincidence really...really!

GVC has had a couple new basketball recruits each year for the past 3-4 years. Mainly through the AAU circuit and foreign exchange kids. Nothing to see here public school fans, this happens everywhere!

GVC has had a couple new basketball recruits each year for the past 3-4 years. Mainly through the AAU circuit and foreign exchange kids. Nothing to see here public school fans, this happens everywhere!

Of course ...every small school in Iowa gets high major basketball players moving into their towns all the time..hahahahah Hahahaha.

Last edited:
Yeah, because no one ever transfers to public schools from private schools or from one public school to another! :) (See many previous threads on private vs. public schools...)

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Seriously though, that "other" Iowa preps site has a profile on him, you can read about him there. If you don't have a subscription, the basic facts are that he came to the US from Mali 3 years ago as a foreign exchange student. His host family lived in Tennessee but moved back here to Iowa where they are originally from and he came with them. From what I understand they are a Christian family and recommended he explore attending a Christian school.

One thing that people need to understand...from everything I've been told foreign exchange students can only spend one year at a public school, but they can spend multiple years at a private school. That is one of the attractions of private schools for them and one factor in their decision. Most of the foreign exchange students who have come to GVC have decided to stay more than one year because they have enjoyed their experience.

https://www.usnews.com/high-schools...nal-high-schoolers-wanting-to-study-in-the-us

Having had children in the school I'm going to assume that when he visited, the atmosphere of the school (academics, caring teachers, spiritual values) was part of the decision. But of course I have no doubt that a winning basketball program and a coach who makes the game fun while developing players to the best of their abilities was important to him and his host family as well. :)

Reactions: Pinehawk
Seriously though, that "other" Iowa preps site has a profile on him, you can read about him there. If you don't have a subscription, the basic facts are that he came to the US from Mali 3 years ago as a foreign exchange student. His host family lived in Tennessee but moved back here to Iowa where they are originally from and he came with them. From what I understand they are a Christian family and recommended he explore attending a Christian school.

One thing that people need to understand...from everything I've been told foreign exchange students can only spend one year at a public school, but they can spend multiple years at a private school. That is one of the attractions of private schools for them and one factor in their decision. Most of the foreign exchange students who have come to GVC have decided to stay more than one year because they have enjoyed their experience.

https://www.usnews.com/high-schools...nal-high-schoolers-wanting-to-study-in-the-us

Having had children in the school I'm going to assume that when he visited, the atmosphere of the school (academics, caring teachers, spiritual values) was part of the decision. But of course I have no doubt that a winning basketball program and a coach who makes the game fun while developing players to the best of their abilities was important to him and his host family as well. :)

That’s interesting...I did not know that about foreign exchange student

Iowa Falls-Alden had a foreign exchange soccer player come in last year who led the state in goals. They made the 2A Semi-Finals and ended up finishing 3rd at the State Tournament.
He scored all 4 goals in their 4-3 consolation game win over Perry.

When it is the same school getting a few new transfers or foreign exchange students every single year, one starts to wonder. GVC got two new players in AGAIN this year, makes people start to wonder how.

How is pointing out all their recent transfers and foreign exhange student ripping GVC? They are simple facts. They are VERY talented and will probably win state again this year, maybe the next few years.

I have no problem with private schools and athletics. I’m just wondering when GVC is just going to become a basketball prep school. Why would some average kid from Des Moines whose family actually wants a Christian education go to GVC when he would have little chance to play basketball? Again, if that’s what they want to do, fine, but let’s just call it what it is.

Until this year I never even knew GVC existed and I’ve lived in Iowa for 30 years...The fact that a high level D1 recruit comes to Iowa and ends up at GVC?...yeah right....I hope North Linn kicks their butts

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
Yeah, because no one ever transfers to public schools from private schools or from one public school to another! :) (See many previous threads on private vs. public schools...)

Guessing this has been a topic that has been beat to death over the years on this site, but since I'm newer than most I'll offer up my $.02 though I understand it may not even be worth that...

Of all the transfers that happen year after year it is funny how much focus is on the 5-10% that involve private schools while the vast majority happens among public schools. Again, I'm a bit of a newbie to the site, but rarely see threads about families moving from the east side of Des Moines to the west side, or from Johnston to Ankeny, or Ankeny to Waukee in order to, in their opinion, give their kid a better opportunity for success or even a better opportunity to get more playing time. Same is true for communities in and around Iowa City, and other larger towns.

Of course the argument could be those transfers are within the 3A & 4A classes where the talent pool is much larger which would potentially water down the impact these players would have on the class as a whole. The smaller classes are typically more rural communities where these moves are much less likely to happen, and the impact of transfers can be much greater. I understand that and perhaps is a solid point. However, in this day of 40+mpg hybrid vehicles, families investing thousands of dollars on club sports for numerous years, and the desire for many to move from larger towns into smaller ones my guess is this happens more than we think though I admittedly have no evidence to back this up. Just offering it up as a thought to consider. As a hypothetical example a family living on the south side of Des Moines or even Indianola with parents working in Des Moines could easily move to Martensdale, Truro, or Winterset in order to get their kids a better opportunity for playing time or simply to have a much larger impact on a team while still having a reasonably short commute to work.

Guessing this has been a topic that has been beat to death over the years on this site, but since I'm newer than most I'll offer up my $.02 though I understand it may not even be worth that...

Of all the transfers that happen year after year it is funny how much focus is on the 5-10% that involve private schools while the vast majority happens among public schools. Again, I'm a bit of a newbie to the site, but rarely see threads about families moving from the east side of Des Moines to the west side, or from Johnston to Ankeny, or Ankeny to Waukee in order to, in their opinion, give their kid a better opportunity for success or even a better opportunity to get more playing time. Same is true for communities in and around Iowa City, and other larger towns.

Of course the argument could be those transfers are within the 3A & 4A classes where the talent pool is much larger which would potentially water down the impact these players would have on the class as a whole. The smaller classes are typically more rural communities where these moves are much less likely to happen, and the impact of transfers can be much greater. I understand that and perhaps is a solid point. However, in this day of 40+mpg hybrid vehicles, families investing thousands of dollars on club sports for numerous years, and the desire for many to move from larger towns into smaller ones my guess is this happens more than we think though I admittedly have no evidence to back this up. Just offering it up as a thought to consider. As a hypothetical example a family living on the south side of Des Moines or even Indianola with parents working in Des Moines could easily move to Martensdale, Truro, or Winterset in order to get their kids a better opportunity for playing time or simply to have a much larger impact on a team while still having a reasonably short commute to work.

Uh-oh, you pointed out that it happens more at public schools than private schools, be prepared for the 'well I know someone whose cousins friends brother in laws butler knew that the private school transfer was driving a new car and was recruited to that school' attack. Also be prepared to have the Jok and Uthoff moves discounted and turned back to private school issues. Welcome to the board.

Reactions: iowalongs230

This is true. We hosted an international student last year at a private school. The visas are different and can't be renewed for the same institution if it's a public institution. It can be renewed for a private institution.

As a fan of a private school myself I get your desire to get into the whole private vs public debate here. But I don't think this thread is really a general attack on private schools. It is about a particular private school that you must admit has benefited from some major transfers in the past couple of seasons. Transfers which are generally not seen in 1A schools. Sure they could happen, anything could happen, but historically there are very few transfers from 4A or 3A schools down to 1A. I can't ever remember a 1A school bringing a 6'7" D1 prospect into it's program and I have been closely following Iowa high school basketball for many years now.

I'm not accusing GVC of any wrongdoing or anything like that as I don't have any knowledge of the situation. For all I know there can be, and probably is, very legit reasons for these players to come to GVC. But one must admit that the situation is odd and will raise some questions from others around the state.

Until this year I never even knew GVC existed and I’ve lived in Iowa for 30 years...The fact that a high level D1 recruit comes to Iowa and ends up at GVC?...yeah right....$$$ and recruitment...I hope North Linn kicks their butts
Haters gonna hate. The fact that a family moves back to Iowa and want a private school education for their foreign exchange student is wrong? And to imply money would be involved? Do you have any proof or just spreading falsehoods? Not cool dude

Sure they could happen, anything could happen, but historically there are very few transfers from 4A or 3A schools down to 1A. I can't ever remember a 1A school bringing a 6'7" D1 prospect into it's program and I have been closely following Iowa high school basketball for many years now.

West Branch did it two years in a row. They weren't 6' 7" (but I just checked and 1 was 6' 5" and the other is 6' 1"), but they transferred in two new QB's when they didn't have one. And, brought in a kid who would have went to City to play basketball and now he's putting up points in West Branch trying to get attention he wouldn't have gotten at City High.

Last edited:
Get off your high horse...I made a statement on a private message board, sorry if it hurt your poor feelings...I didn't state that I knew money was involved...wow what cry baby...I'll delete if it offends you.

I probably know more about what actually goes on in the AAU underworld than you can even imagine, but I'll keep that to myself as it may offend some of you.
It doesn't offend me. Perhaps I misunderstood but when the "$" sign is involved that implies money. You put that sign in your post suggesting money was involved in the family moving to Des Moines and the player enrolling in school. All I suggested was to provide proof before you state any accusations regarding money and recruitment. If there is no proof then maybe don't make accusations. You are knocking a family looking out for the best interest of their child/foreign exchange student. I would think any caring parents would do the same for their children and I don't know why you need to hate on their choices.

West Branch did it two years in a row. They weren't 6' 7" (but I just checked and 1 was 6' 5" and the other is 6' 1"), but they transferred in two new QB's when they didn't have one. And, brought in a kid who would have went to City to play basketball and now he's putting up points in West Branch trying to get attention he wouldn't have gotten at City High.
OK...I was talking about 1A basketball here so not sure why you need to bring up football and 2A basketball. Doesn't exactly have much bearing on the conversation. Yeah, transfers happen at other schools. No one was saying they don't. Still doesn't mean you see many high level basketball players transferring to 1A schools around the state.

OK...I was talking about 1A basketball here so not sure why you need to bring up football and 2A basketball. Doesn't exactly have much bearing on the conversation. Yeah, transfers happen at other schools. No one was saying they don't. Still doesn't mean you see many high level basketball players transferring to 1A schools around the state.

1A...2A...not much of a difference. I bring it up to illustrate that does happen at small public schools as well where it can have a big impact.

It doesn't offend me. Perhaps I misunderstood but when the "$" sign is involved that implies money. You put that sign in your post suggesting money was involved in the family moving to Des Moines and the player enrolling in school. All I suggested was to provide proof before you state any accusations regarding money and recruitment. If there is no proof then maybe don't make accusations. You are knocking a family looking out for the best interest of their child/foreign exchange student. I would think any caring parents would do the same for their children and I don't know why you need to hate on their choices.

Here is what I will say...I get tired of the old " doing what's best for the family" excuse....A high level D1 recruit showing up at a no name 1A Christian school in the middle of Iowa from Tennessee is fishy....plain and simple....I call it as I see it and I see it every summer on the circuit..... a one time recruit , ok maybe...happening every year at this school and its a pattern....Maybe there's nothing but my guess is there is "something" here..by that I don't mean any illegal!...I get tired of the city parochial schools and all their recruits and yet small towns like North Linn have to compete against them....as I've said in my other posts on this subject, make all the parochial schools in large communities play in the largest class since they have a population and resources to pull from that small towns do not...I realize that we on these message boards are not going to change anything and that this is our entertainment and place to have fun with opinions and friendly banter.... I hope this particular kid has a great career and if he is as good as they say I hope he signs with ISU.....these are my last comments on this particular subject. I'm out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hwkfn1
Here is what I will say...I get tired of the old " doing what's best for the family" excuse....A high level D1 recruit showing up at a no name 1A Christian school in the middle of Iowa from Tennessee is fishy....plain and simple....I call it as I see it and I see it every summer on the circuit..... a one time recruit , ok maybe...happening every year at this school and its a pattern....Maybe there's nothing but my guess is there is "something" here..by that I don't mean any illegal!...I get tired of the city parochial schools and all their recruits and yet small towns like North Linn have to compete against them....as I've said in my other posts on this subject, make all the parochial schools in large communities play in the largest class since they have a population and resources to pull from that small towns do not...I realize that we on these message boards are not going to change anything and that this is our entertainment and place to have fun with opinions and friendly banter.... I hope this particular kid has a great career and if he is as good as they say I hope he signs with ISU.....these are my last comments on this particular subject. I'm out.

So you're saying this is the high school version of "blue chips"? This is a kid that is with his family and they chose a small school. Public vs Private is irrelevant. Get over yourself....Move on.

Reactions: JustCourtney
Here is what I will say...I get tired of the old " doing what's best for the family" excuse....A high level D1 recruit showing up at a no name 1A Christian school in the middle of Iowa from Tennessee is fishy....plain and simple....I call it as I see it and I see it every summer on the circuit..... a one time recruit , ok maybe...happening every year at this school and its a pattern....Maybe there's nothing but my guess is there is "something" here..by that I don't mean any illegal!...

Except they're not a no-name school. They're the reigning champs. So if you moved to Des Moines and wanted your ball-loving kid in a small school, wouldn't you check them out?

Between an awesome foreign exchange program and having a great ball program that kids want to play for, there's really not a lot of mystery here.

Until this year I never even knew GVC existed and I’ve lived in Iowa for 30 years...The fact that a high level D1 recruit comes to Iowa and ends up at GVC?...yeah right....$$$ and recruitment...I hope North Linn kicks their butts

Not sure how you haven't heard of them. They won state last year, made state the year before (which was discussed at length in this forum) and have quite a few 18+ win seasons the last 6-8 years. My older son, who is a Junior in college, played them in both Jr high and HS. We're not talking about a school that just appear a year or two ago and is already good, they do have a bit of history.

I remember both Arrasmiths playing for them as well as one of the Stubbs (maybe Damon?). Stubbs would have graduated maybe around 2010-11. Plus, they had some other really good players over the years.

Ok first of all Grandview christian was formly know as Grandview park baptist. Second of all it not the coaches that get's them their it's the kids from the school that get other kids their. I just move back from canada I had kids from four different school come up to my house to get my son to play at their school. Now I'm not telling you what school. Me and he choose. let's just said in the meto or close to the meto. Right now he isn't playing any sports.

A lot of people were miffed when Jok transferred from Roosevelt to Valley.

Uh-oh, you pointed out that it happens more at public schools than private schools, be prepared for the 'well I know someone whose cousins friends brother in laws butler knew that the private school transfer was driving a new car and was recruited to that school' attack. Also be prepared to have the Jok and Uthoff moves discounted and turned back to private school issues. Welcome to the board.

Funny you brought up the Stubbs kids. That family's oldest sons started off at Des Moines Christian.....then the youngest went to Ankeny Christian only to finish off at GVC. Talk about a transfer situation!

Not sure how you haven't heard of them. They won state last year, made state the year before (which was discussed at length in this forum) and have quite a few 18+ win seasons the last 6-8 years. My older son, who is a Junior in college, played them in both Jr high and HS. We're not talking about a school that just appear a year or two ago and is already good, they do have a bit of history.

I remember both Arrasmiths playing for them as well as one of the Stubbs (maybe Damon?). Stubbs would have graduated maybe around 2010-11. Plus, they had some other really good players over the years.

Just the past 4 years when GVC success started, here is a list of "new kids" into their program each season. Most these guys are upper class and MANY of them from the same AAU program. A lot of key players added each season. Everyone can draw their own conclusions. But that seems to be a lot for any program, especially 1A school. Helps to be in a city of 215,000 people though.

2014-15
Stephen Glenn (JR)
Damon Stubbs (SR)
Evans Appiah (SR

2015-16
Grant Demeulenaere (SO) Pella
Arturo Montes (FR)

2016-17
Mach Nyaw (SO) Storm Lake
Augie Saliu (SR) Foreign Exchange

2017-18
Issa Samake (JR) Tennessee Foreign Exchange
Kong Neyail (JR) Des Moines East

Is what GVC doing "legal"? Yes. Is it ethical? That's a grey area. And don't for a minute tell me that this kid's host family just happened to move back to Des Moines and happen to choose GVC because they wanted a Christian education. The host father played basketball for Dave Stubbs at DMC and played with Brandon Stubbs, who I think is an assistant to his dad now? Clearly this kid has potential, and the opportunity to showcase him became available back in Des Moines.

Again, I ask my original question. Why would some kid, who is somewhat good at basketball, and whose family actually desires a Christian education, actually choose to go to GVC? It's clear that the Stubbs family and the powers that be are going to recruit in players to make a championship team, scrubs or regular HS students be damned. Again, "legal"? Yes. The right way to go about things? Questionable. Just my opinion....

This is true. We hosted an international student last year at a private school. The visas are different and can't be renewed for the same institution if it's a public institution. It can be renewed for a private institution.
Is there a reason this is true? I would think a lot of the exchange students would want to stay longer so they are looking at private schools for that very reason...?
also Duke is a private school and they are get all the top recruits...just sayin'....lol
also, the host for the GVC player worked on the staff of Illinois St Univ and Baylor

Is there a reason this is true? I would think a lot of the exchange students would want to stay longer so they are looking at private schools for that very reason...?
also Duke is a private school and they are get all the top recruits...just sayin'....lol
also, the host for the GVC player worked on the staff of Illinois St Univ and Baylor
I'm not sure why it's the case, but it is the reason many international students choose a private school.

In our case, the student was not a Christian but his parents sent him to a Christian school because they understood that private education had a great academic reputation and thus they were willing to allow him to be instructed in the Christian worldview. He is currently a sophomore and will very likely be at this school his entire four-year high school career, so the they liked the idea of continuity as well.

This family's goal is to provide better academic opportunities in college and, beyond that, in life. He is not an athletic kid. In fact, this school is hosting about 25 international students per year now, and, outside of a couple of pretty good soccer players, I don't believe any of them have been above-average high school athletes. Most don't participate in any school-sanctioned sports.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I'm not sure why it's the case, but it is the reason many international students choose a private school.

In our case, the student was not a Christian but his parents sent him to a Christian school because they understood that private education had a great academic reputation and thus they were willing to allow him to be instructed in the Christian worldview. He is currently a sophomore and will very likely be at this school his entire four-year high school career, so the they liked the idea of continuity as well.

This family's goal is to provide better academic opportunities in college and, beyond that, in life. He is not an athletic kid. In fact, this school is hosting about 25 international students per year now, and, outside of a couple of pretty good soccer players, I don't believe any of them have been above-average high school athletes. Most don't participate in any school-sanctioned sports.
If you are referring to GVC, then that is about 1/5th of the high school (BED# is 89)...that is a large percentage of the HS...

Reactions: mtdew_fever
You know what, you're right. Quite a few basketball players have transferred to GVC since 2014. And quite a few choir members and band members and just plain old regular students as there's been an increase of over 50% student enrollment K-12 since the school opened.

Yes, there has been some good growth. Of course, heavy discounting will help with that. Its not a big secret in the metro Christian school community that GVC, while growing, will have some financial issues in the near future. You cannot keep your tuition artificially low to encourage growth for too long. Bills will have to be paid...

Yes, there has been some good growth. Of course, heavy discounting will help with that. Its not a big secret in the metro Christian school community that GVC, while growing, will have some financial issues in the near future. You cannot keep your tuition artificially low to encourage growth for too long. Bills will have to be paid...
What "Bills" are not being paid? Have they missed a payroll for their staff? Is Mid-American going to turn off their power? Please share what info you have Cheer_for_the_Hawks! If you look at the Metro Christian school tuition rates, I believe that GV is not the most expensive and also not the cheapest. You have no clue what you are talking about, so just shut your mouth!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT