ADVERTISEMENT

******GAME TALK: Don Bosco vs. Adair-Casey******

Why would AC pull their starters first? This is their last football game of the season. DB has a lot more to lose by letting their starters stay in...

If your second string is scoring at will then so be it.

No reason with a 50-60 point lead in the second half to have your starters in other than...something I'm not going to get into

Looks like Yoder and the boys took one out of this guys playbook, and I love it.
th
You guys on here are bitching about them keeping their starters in--this is the semifinals, how about trying to tackle somebody? If I am Yoder and the opposition has his starters out there, I'm sending my first-team out all day. You can call that what you want but the best guys in this line of business (coaching) aren't out there trying to make friends.

Originally posted by 9 route:
Looks like Yoder and the boys took one out of this guys playbook, and I love it.You guys on here are bitching about them keeping their starters in--this is the semifinals, how about trying to tackle somebody? If I am Yoder and the opposition has his starters out there, I'm sending my first-team out all day. You can call that what you want but the best guys in this line of business (coaching) aren't out there trying to make friends.
"9 route" must be a DB fan and Miami Heat fan....kick-em why there down....what is the highest score in a single game? 125+? Maybe we should go to 9-man instead of 8-man....more equal to 11-man by the numbers

Pull your starters in a state semifinal game? Might be the last games some of these kids will ever play. Bosco did mix in a lot of under classman in the second half. Their coaching decisions have taken them to two straight state championship games. Love to hear all of you take shots at Bosco, if there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that everyone hates the guys on top. So keep taking your shots, and we'll just keep winning ball games.

Originally posted by 8man fan:
Pull your starters in a state semifinal game? Might be the last games some of these kids will ever play. Bosco did mix in a lot of under classman in the second half. Their coaching decisions have taken them to two straight state championship games. Love to hear all of you take shots at Bosco, if there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that everyone hates the guys on top. So keep taking your shots, and we'll just keep winning ball games.
The only shot they took at them was that they were winning 70-21 and allowed their starting running back to have another carry. Thats it. Which is a very debatable/questionable decision.

I barely even consider this division to be real football, but you play the best guys you have. It just turns out that DB's best players were far superior to AC.

"while they are down" is the proper grammar. And you are probably the guy that thinks everyone should get equal playing time and that everyone should get a trophy after competing. Like the guy stated above, their coaching decisions have propelled them into consecutive title games (having Hogan helps) and it sounds like this was just a sheer case of Don Bosco's guys being on a different level than the opposition. Kudos to the Dons for making it to back to back title games, I think everybody knows how hard it is to sustain that level of play in consecutive seasons.

Originally posted by Gridiron24:
I barely even consider this division to be real football, but you play the best guys you have. It just turns out that DB's best players were far superior to AC.
so you're saying any of DB's RB are better than Plowman....still think it's the line play....also showed in EEK-NF game

Originally posted by basketball777:
Originally posted by Gridiron24:
so you're saying any of DB's RB are better than Plowman....still think it's the line play....also showed in EEK-NF game
Reading comprehension isn't one of your core skills is it?

You have to love a comment that says "I barely even consider this division to be real football". Jake Hogan is a great player and could play for many teams in any class. All four of these teams in the semi's have quality student athletes that can flat play the game. Football is football. Tell Chad Greenway that 9 man football isn't real football. He would love to hear that.

Originally posted by gonorse92:
You have to love a comment that says "I barely even consider this division to be real football". Jake Hogan is a great player and could play for many teams in any class. All four of these teams in the semi's have quality student athletes that can flat play the game. Football is football. Tell Chad Greenway that 9 man football isn't real football. He would love to hear that.
I agree....let go to 9 man....
happy0008.r191677.gif

Originally posted by basketball777:

Originally posted by gonorse92:
I agree....let go to 9 man....
happy0008.r191677.gif
Six player girls basketball was still basketball, but it's not the same as 5v5 basketball. A different game that shares many characteristics and the same common goals. How certain are you that Chad Greenway even feels the same way you do about 8/9 man? He could just as easily say, "It was a lot of fun, but its not the same as 11 man".

I agree. 11 player is not 8, and obviously they do share many of the same characteristics (i.e. tackle, block, run, catch and execution). I feel like according to some people chatting on here that they feel that even some of the best 8 player athletes would play end and guard (end of the bench and guard the water) on any A, 1A, 2A, 3A or 4A teams. I played 11 player back in the day and have coached some 8 player. Both games are great, but they are just that football. Both present student athletes across our great state opportunities to play and compete and win titles. Players still have to make plays, coaches have to coach. I am also fairly certain Greenway would say both the 9 man he played in high school and 11 man in college and NFL were all great experiences for him.

Originally posted by 9 route:
"while they are down" is the proper grammar. And you are probably the guy that thinks everyone should get equal playing time and that everyone should get a trophy after competing. Like the guy stated above, their coaching decisions have propelled them into consecutive title games (having Hogan helps) and it sounds like this was just a sheer case of Don Bosco's guys being on a different level than the opposition. Kudos to the Dons for making it to back to back title games, I think everybody knows how hard it is to sustain that level of play in consecutive seasons.
This wasn't directed at me, but I'll still reply.

I don't believe every deserves a trophy - in fact I believe less trophies should be given in many cases (though I think the IHSAA does a good job with this).

I don't think everyone deserves equal playing time.

I don't have a problem with DB, or any team, throwing the the ball with a big lead in the second half or continue to run the base offense.

The only issue I had is with a 50ish point lead there is/was zero reasons to have starters in the game, especially with 40+ kids on the roster.

It did look like DB was on a completely different level than AC, and that's fine and is what it is. However, let's be real for a second...other than running the score up is/was there a reason to leave Hogan in the game until there was less than 3 minutes left in the game?

Okay..something like the 3:19 mark.

The first team took the snap on the final 65 yard td run

I'm attempting to find a box score
This post was edited on 11/15 12:04 PM by clenz213

I won't argue whether or not Bosco should be 11-man but it was clear to see the significant difference numbers play in a football game yesterday. AC was doubled in numbers and when you take into account out of the 20 AC was fielding, only about half of that played significant time. I know most high schools play both ways but when guys have to play both ways AND nearly every special team it certainly adds up. With that said, Bosco was by far the better team. They won the game at the line of scrimmage all day. AC committed the same mistakes over and over. The d-end was getting sucked inside/beat outside/plain run over, the backers looked like they would have rather been watching than playing in the game - 0 aggression, and it appeared at times that players had completely forgotten who they had in man coverage. I can think of at least 3 occasions where a receiver came so wide open that you wondered if the defense was just completely lost out there. I can't imagine this was poor coaching because of the record AC has had in the past, maybe it was nerves or just a mental block once they got down. Props to Hogan and Bosco for taking advantage but I believe any competent running back could have run for over 300 yards yesterday with the holes that line was creating. So if I'm going to give credit where credit is due, it's to the Don Bosco line for dominating the game. However, I don't imagine it will be as easy a task against a highly aggressive EHK team next week who also took it to a talented Newell team. Either way the finals game gears up to be a good one, hopefully making up for the lack of excitement in the semi's.

Originally posted by FootballPhenom:
I won't argue whether or not Bosco should be 11-man but it was clear to see the significant difference numbers play in a football game yesterday. AC was doubled in numbers and when you take into account out of the 20 AC was fielding, only about half of that played significant time. I know most high schools play both ways but when guys have to play both ways AND nearly every special team it certainly adds up. With that said, Bosco was by far the better team. They won the game at the line of scrimmage all day. AC committed the same mistakes over and over. The d-end was getting sucked inside/beat outside/plain run over, the backers looked like they would have rather been watching than playing in the game - 0 aggression, and it appeared at times that players had completely forgotten who they had in man coverage. I can think of at least 3 occasions where a receiver came so wide open that you wondered if the defense was just completely lost out there. I can't imagine this was poor coaching because of the record AC has had in the past, maybe it was nerves or just a mental block once they got down. Props to Hogan and Bosco for taking advantage but I believe any competent running back could have run for over 300 yards yesterday with the holes that line was creating. So if I'm going to give credit where credit is due, it's to the Don Bosco line for dominating the game. However, I don't imagine it will be as easy a task against a highly aggressive EHK team next week who also took it to a talented Newell team. Either way the finals game gears up to be a good one, hopefully making up for the lack of excitement in the semi's.
so does "excitement" equal "more competitive" or "blowout"....I think the former

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT