ADVERTISEMENT

******GAME TALK: Bishop Heelan vs. Clear Lake******

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
I want to link this post on the front page so keep all game talk/updates/postgame talk here now!

Pre-game article from SC Journal...
History on Heelan's side in semifinal against Clear Lake
Game Data
Who: Heelan (12-0) vs. Clear Lake (12-0)
When: Thursday, 5:30 p.m.
Where: Cedar Falls, Iowa (UNI-Dome)
Radio: KMNS 620 AM
Note: The two coaches have combined for 412 victories in their careers.
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa | Bishop Heelan is hoping history repeats itself.

The Crusaders are back in the state semifinals at the UNI-Dome on Thursday when they take on Clear Lake for the right to advance to next week's championship contest. The previous four times Heelan has reached
this point in Class 3A it has advanced to the title game.

"The kids do well preparing and we have played some of
our better games in the semis," said Heelan Coach Roger Jansen, who is leading
his 13th team in the playoffs. "I think it also helps that we have kids that
have been on the big stage in other sports. The more experience you have in
that situation the more comfortable you feel and can perform better."

The top-ranked Crusaders (12-0) will have to get past a fourth-ranked Clear Lake team that has put up at least 35 points in its three playoff victories, with its most recent coming against Grinnell, 48-33.
The Crusaders possess a potent offense led by senior quarterback Trent Solsma, who has completed 66 percent of his passes for 2,757 yards and 34 touchdowns.

Senior wide receiver Connor Niles has 62 receptions for 1,074 and 17 touchdowns. He is three touchdowns shy of moving into a three-way tie for second-all-time on the state charts and equaling the Class 3A best.
Tony Tobin leads the Crusader rushing attack with 1,184 yards while Christian Brobst leads the defense with 72 tackles and 11 sacks.

"Heelan poses some real problems because they can run and pass," Clear Lake Coach Frank Wieck said. "We are concerned with that diversity Heelan has in its offense."

Clear Lake (12-0) is making its 19th playoff appearance, winning the title in 2000.

The Lions have a deep rushing attack with five running backs having run for between 674 and 318 yards this season. Senior Carter Hand leads the way with 674 yards and 18 touchdowns. Junior Chandler Diercks has run
for 626 yards and Pete Swenson has 564 yards and 12 touchdowns.

"They are like Spencer offensively so we have seen something like what they run, but they are more athletic," Jansen said. "They are physical up front and they are going to try to wear us down so it is going to be a great challenge."

Junior quarterback Brock Adams has thrown for 1,378 yards and 16 touchdowns while also rushing 513 yards and five scores.

"We line up usually just one guy in the backfield and then bring guys in motion to receive the handoffs and pitches," Wieck said. "It allows us to get a lot of guys in the game and we have pretty good depth at running back."

"I think what gets lost when you look at Clear Lake is that they haven't had to throw it very much, but when they do they are
completing 60 percent," Jansen said. "They are not one-dimensional."

The Lions are looking to tighten up their pass defense after seeing Grinnell's Eli Dunne throw for 317 yards and a score in the Clear Lake's quarterfinal win.

"We gave up almost 500 yards of offense, so we have some work we have to do from time to time. Grinnell kind of exposed us in the passing game, but we have some good players there who are working hard. We are going to try to improve to take on Heelan's vaunted passing game."
The Lions' defense is led by Connor Nosbisch and his 12 solo sacks this season.

The winner of the game will take on the winner of the other semifinal between Solon and Washington.
This post was edited on 11/14 10:45 AM by Crusader Power

Sounds like the kind of game where you have to value your possessions and keep the other team's offense off the field. For Heelan, that means that chucking it up 40 times--and 40 yards downfield to a covered receiver, hoping he'll somehow make a play on it like they did against Harlan--isn't a good strategy. It didn't work against Harlan, though Heelan still won.

Originally posted by cruhawk:

Sounds like the kind of game where you have to value your possessions and keep the other team's offense off the field. For Heelan, that means that chucking it up 40 times--and 40 yards downfield to a covered receiver, hoping he'll somehow make a play on it like they did against Harlan--isn't a good strategy. It didn't work against Harlan, though Heelan still won.
Yeah,i thought the game plan against Harlan was a head scratcher. Fortunately Heelan has an incredible defense.

Well now that this game is over lets look at the championship game...

18-18 327 yards and 5 Tds holy sh@#......

Clear Lake is 12-0... Unreal....

This post was edited on 11/14 6:51 PM by badben44

Clear Lake's enrollment is shrinking enough, they may be 2A next year. Could be interesting with all the starters they return.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Heelan had a great game.
Like I said before they have had some huge semi finals games but took a wiping in the finals.I think Decorah could of put up a 100 last year.
So I think 3a is a good spot for them.Just think if the Wegher kid would of stayed there.

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:
Heelan had a great game.
Like I said before they have had some huge semi finals games but took a wiping in the finals.I think Decorah could of put up a 100 last year.
So I think 3a is a good spot for them.Just think if the Wegher kid would of stayed there.
Ya never know. They could get blown out in the finals again. Clear Lake just didn't have any pass defense in this game.

Originally posted by rillo 62:

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:
Heelan had a great game.
Ya never know. They could get blown out in the finals again. Clear Lake just didn't have any pass defense in this game.
Heelan is more veteran and focused this year than last. They just didn't show up for the title game last year. When they gave Decorah the ball on their own 25 twice in the first qtr, you knew it was going to be a long night. There doesn't appear to be a "Decorah" in the way this year, and this is a very different Heelan team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT