ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Oct. 4 Scores & Comments

harlan 14 glenwood 14 -1st
glenwood 21 harlan 14 - half
glenwood 28 harlan 21-final
glenwood had a passing play harlan could not stop, they ran it mulitple times for big yards

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
Cedar Rapids Xavier 28, Dub. Wahlert 0 at the half. Eagles' Nick Bandy out with broken arm.
42-0 final.
Spencer 28, Storm Lake 0.
Oskaloosa 28, Newton 21
Davenport Assumption 17, Central DeWitt 14 (OT)
Western Dubuque 41, CPU 7
Decorah 33, Charles City 6

Last edited:
Wow!! Glenwood does it again this week. What does this mean for Harlan next week?? Maybe LC takes them lightly...could be a good thing for Harlan.

EasternIowa: Any thoughts on the West DBQ vs Xavier game? West DBQ seems deeper and bigger. Xavier has a solid, solid defense. I may head over to that game but maybe not as we may see it a second time for the title.

I think Western Dubuque and CR Xavier is a tossup. Very even score margins all season. Difference maker could be Calvin Harris, WD's quarterback, who is a fearless leader. Last year in the championship game, in the 3rd Q WD and CRX were tied when Harris was knocked out of game with concussion. WD possibly could have won if he had played. Xavier is actually the bigger team with some monster linemen, but WD is very quick and athletic. Tossup, with (if I was forced to pick one) wee, miniscule nod to Xavier because of line and defense. These two teams have two of the biggest rosters in the state, number-wise, 4A included.

Last edited:
Wow!! Glenwood does it again this week. What does this mean for Harlan next week?? Maybe LC takes them lightly...could be a good thing for Harlan.
i think lewis central will get the game film, and see that passing formation harlan had big trouble with...harlan had no answer for it...at least tonight they did not...glenwood used that same play for big yds multiple times

denison 20 heelan 16-2ot

i thought heelan would win this one, with denison,s star qb out for the season i believe, broken collar bone he suffered in carroll k game.

Heelan had a third and 55 after three penalties and and two sacks.Third and 55!
On fourth down and 55 they tried a fake punt that gained five yards really fooled them wanna know why they are 1-5. Denison didn’t have good qb Weibers either. SB-L vs Spencer probably for district next week.

i just watched the heelan vs denison game, wow, heelan made a ton of mistakes and td drop balls. also, i dont know if i ever saw a 3rd and 55 before, does not happen everyday...and the 4th down play with 40+ yds to go, the kicker runs the ball??????reminds me of the play heelan had against harlan a few years ago where heelan was on their 24 yd line with 4 and 1, and decided to go for it and harlan stopped them...harlan just had 24 yds to go for td , and made it

i just watched the heelan vs denison game, wow, heelan made a ton of mistakes and td drop balls. also, i dont know if i ever saw a 3rd and 55 before, does not happen everyday...and the 4th down play with 40+ yds to go, the kicker runs the ball??????reminds me of the play heelan had against harlan a few years ago where heelan was on their 24 yd line with 4 and 1, and decided to go for it and harlan stopped them...harlan just had 24 yds to go for td , and made it
Good coaching not exactly a Heelan tradition especially lately.

i dont think iowa is big enough to have 5a schools, are they?...also , i would like iowa to do away with 8man football, and have them consolidate with other schools.. i believe also if 8man did this, it make kids more acceptable to recruiting to the next level.

i dont think iowa is big enough to have 5a schools, are they?...also , i would like iowa to do away with 8man football, and have them consolidate with other schools.. i believe also if 8man did this, it make kids more acceptable to recruiting to the next level.

I beg to differ, if you are a stud in 8-man, colleges will find you. Co-ops between schools is bad for participation for the most part. The non-host school usually sees a considerable drop in participation due to the travel involved for practice.

Recruiting game plan for 8-man through 4A.
1. Be tall
2. Have fast 40
3. Go to an Elite camp.
In the afternoon or day 2, if they give you a different colored jersey proceed to step 4.
4. Put a film together.
If they don't give you a different colored jersey then just go out for football and enjoy it, because you aren't getting recruited no matter what size your school is.

If WDV, Waukee, and few other larger 4A schools split like ankeny, yes we would have enough teams. Just take the top 16 for 5A, the next 32 for 4A, then break it down from there. I do agree with 8man, but some of that is logistical as well.

Just for grins, if the top 5 schools in enrollment split in half, and there was a 16-team 5A and a 32-team 4A, this is what we’d have.

5A
Des Moines East
Southeast Polk
Des Moines Roosevelt
Cedar Rapids Kennedy
Waterloo West
Dubuque Hempstead
Cedar Rapids Prairie
Ankeny Centennial
Ankeny
Cedar Falls
Cedar Rapids Jefferson
Davenport West
Sioux City West
Iowa City High
Bettendorf
Dubuque Senior

4A
Davenport Central
Muscatine
WDM Valley 1
WDM Valley 2
Des Moines North
Marshalltown
Sioux City East
Iowa City West
WDM Dowling
Waukee 1
Waukee 2
Pleasant Valley
Ames
Cedar Rapids Washington
Urbandale
Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln
Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson
Sioux City West
Ottumwa
Davenport North
Des Moines Lincoln 1
Des Moines Lincoln 2
Fort Dodge
Indianola
Iowa City Liberty
Johnston 1
Johnston 2
Linn-Mar 1
Linn-Mar 2
Mason City
Des Moines North
Burlington

The top of 3A would be Waterloo East, just as it is now.

To me, that looks like Centennial/Bettendorf/Cedar Falls every year in 5A, maybe Ankeny or Southeast Polk once in a while. Dowling would win 4A for the next decade or more.

I would entertain 8 man being split into 2 classes as well like Nebraska does. Right now I think 8 man has 64 teams participating. Some schools can field 40 players still while others are lucky to field 15-20

If you can get 40 kids out for your varsity team you should be playing 11-man. Heck, Western Dubuque & Xavier only have a few more than that on their roster.

(Admittedly, that doesn’t include those on freshman/sophomore/JV levels, so I get that ... if it’s 40 kids out total, that’s not a lot.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT