ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night, Jan. 24 Scores & Comments

I know a bunch of schools east of Des Moines cancelled activities today, so there will be a bunch of changes to the schedule.

PCM, Colfax-Mingo, Montezuma, Baxter, L-S, P'Ville...a bunch of others in that area all cancelled.

Late Thursday night scores:
Winterset 64, Carlisle 48
Sioux Center 67, Unity Christian 54
Gladbrook-Reinbeck 66, Waterloo Columbus 57
Bondurant-Farrar 63, Nevada 43

Friday Scores:
Dubuque Hempstead 72, Dubuque Wahlert 65. 3 Wahlert starters in locker room with injuries at various times. Point guard Cael Schmitt missed half the game. Good come from behind win by Hempstead Mustangs at Moody Gym after the Eagles won both last year.
Dubuque Senior 51, Western Dubuque 45 with seconds to go. .

Last edited:
1A #5 South O'Brien leads 19-13 over 2A #1 West Sioux. SOBs D is turning defense into easy points.

Their was questionable action that could be deem unsportsmanlike Among Carroll Adults fans in the game. I'm sorry but that could be call taunting and get your team in trouble. Waving at a player who fouls out is right and I hope someone reads this I have a friend who also was not happy about it and he lives in carroll. He left after that because when you act like as a adult no respect for game and other team. That's all I got to say. If I say any more it won't be PG.

Glenwood 71, Red Oak 41
Dike- NH 50, Hudson 38
Harlan 78, Clarinda 60
Lake Mills 51, Osage 48
Martinsdale SM 62, Mt. Ayr 41
Newell-Fonda 62 SEV 61
Norwalk 70, Indianola 60
Van Meter 64, Earlham 38
WACO 63, Central Lee 47
Belle Plain 52, Iowa Valley 32
CC-Amana 74, Independence 46
Forest City 69, N. Iowa 43
MMCRU 76, A-W 36
SE Polk 63, Mason City 52
ADM 72, Ballard 52
Don Bosco 49, Waterloo Columbus 43
Humboldt 57. Algona 45
Johnston 60, WDM Dowling 55- tough sledding in the CIML
Lenox 51, SE-W 57
Marion 58, West Delaware 44
Marshalltown 61Ft. Dodge 40
Newton 48, DC- Grimes 47 wow
Rockford 67, N-K 23
Sioux City East 74, CBTJ 40
West Marshall 49, AGWSR 45 in a squeaker
Webster City 67, FD St. Ed's 58 in 2 OT

Last edited:
---Boys---
2A#1 West Sioux 83, 1A#4 South O'Brien 65.
2A#4 Boyden-Hull 79, GLR 41.
Rock Valley 61, Okoboji 66
3A#8 MOC-FV 73, Sheldon 58
West Lyon 56, Central Lyon 47.
Sioux Center 57, Sibley 39.
2A#13 Western Christian 77, Spencer 31.
Cherokee 58, Storm Lake 55
Spirit Lake 42, Unity Christian 49.
HMS 42, Gehlen Catholic 64.
MMCRU 76, Akron Westfield 56.
Hinton 63, Trinity Christian 55.

More Friday Night Scores (sorry if there are duplicates)
Ankeny 65, Urbandale 63
BGM 71, HLV 46
Dyer. Beckman 63, Maquoketa 38
Carroll 65 Bondurant-Farrar 52
Dav. Central 57, Dav. North 49
Mt. Vernon 70, Solon 68
North Linn 100, Starmont 35
Cedar Rapids Prairie 70, CR Washington 65
Sergeant Bluff Luten 62, SC West 50
Treynor 64, Logan-Magn. 40
West Des Moines Valley 77, Waukee 72 in the big upset of the night in 4A
Winterset 75, Boone 59
Cedar Rapids Xavier 49, Iowa City City High 38 Wow

---Boys---
2A#1 West Sioux 83, 1A#4 South O'Brien 65.
2A#4 Boyden-Hull 79, GLR 41.
Rock Valley 61, Okoboji 66
3A#8 MOC-FV 73, Sheldon 58
West Lyon 56, Central Lyon 47.
Sioux Center 57, Sibley 39.
2A#13 Western Christian 77, Spencer 31.
Cherokee 58, Storm Lake 55
Spirit Lake 42, Unity Christian 49.
HMS 42, Gehlen Catholic 64.
MMCRU 76, Akron Westfield 56.
Hinton 63, Trinity Christian 55.
Thoughts on South O’Brien?

4A #10 CBAL 58, Lemars 48
Creston 60, Carroll Kuemper 58
3A #10 Denison 62, St. Albert 53
AHSTW 60, Audubon 53
Tri-Center 55, IKM-Manning 29
Central Decatur 54, Nodaway Valley 48

There a really tough 1A team. West Sioux got hot and made 3s. If SOB can keep it their pace, it'll be tough to take them out.

Some Saturday scores that have been posted:
DCG 73 Carroll Kuemper 42
Xavier 46 IC Liberty 43
IC West 54 Rock Island (IL) 46
Osage 69 Charles City 43
South O’Brien 71 Boyden Hull 64

That’s all I’ve seen so far, good day of games

SOBs Jackson L. flopped the entire last 2 minutes and got 12 free throws out of it. 2md half fouls BH had 18 and SOB had 8. BH intentionally fouled twice. BH looked like they didn't wanna play. Give SOB credit. But it didn't hurt BHs feeling . This is the stretch where they start playing to not get hurt. You'll see them at state this year!

SOBs Jackson L. flopped the entire last 2 minutes and got 12 free throws out of it. 2md half fouls BH had 18 and SOB had 8. BH intentionally fouled twice. BH looked like they didn't wanna play. Give SOB credit. But it didn't hurt BHs feeling . This is the stretch where they start playing to not get hurt. You'll see them at state this year!
That wasn’t “playing not to get hurt” at all. That was their most physical game of the year. They couldn’t hit shots all game and SOB forced many turnovers like the always do. They were in it the whole time until the 4th where SOB made one field goal and still kept a 9-7 point lead because Jackson knew they were going to call a foul if he baited it. He just walked to the line and made FT after FT. BH never called a time out to change their game plan and they never got out of their shooting slump.

Do you really think they have a cake walk to state? If they play like that come playoff time they could lose to any decent team. They will have a tough substate matchup.

Misunderstood what I said. They could care less about this loss. It means nothing. 8m very familiar with BH. They don't care what rank they are. The last 5 games of the year they play physical but they don't care if they win unless they need to. Their waiting for playoffs. They don't have a cakewalk. But if any team plays man vs them the. Their gonna have troubles stopping all of BHs scorers. Easiest way to beat BH is a zone unless you have a great shooting night or a D like NLinn last yea . That wasnt the most physical they've been this year. I've seen over half of their games. Their only threat is Wester . Spirit lake lost to RV and Unity. BH handled Unity and handled RV(not sure what the score was but BH was never in danger of losing. BH vs Western will be a HUGE match. But I wanna see West Sioux vs BH.

Misunderstood what I said. They could care less about this loss. It means nothing. 8m very familiar with BH. They don't care what rank they are. The last 5 games of the year they play physical but they don't care if they win unless they need to. Their waiting for playoffs. They don't have a cakewalk. But if any team plays man vs them the. Their gonna have troubles stopping all of BHs scorers. Easiest way to beat BH is a zone unless you have a great shooting night or a D like NLinn last yea . That wasnt the most physical they've been this year. I've seen over half of their games. Their only threat is Wester . Spirit lake lost to RV and Unity. BH handled Unity and handled RV(not sure what the score was but BH was never in danger of losing. BH vs Western will be a HUGE match. But I wanna see West Sioux vs BH.
I know you went to BH but that doesn’t make you an expert in their system. I also went there so I know that when you say “they could care less” that’s just wrong. (It’s couldn’t care less BTW). They don’t just sit around waiting for a playoff game. Every team is trying to win every game they play in.

I’ve been to all of their games this year besides 1 against Sheldon so I know what I’m talking about when I say they couldn’t hit their normal shots.

Last edited:
More late Scores from Friday night and Saturday night:
Cedar Rapids Jefferson 76, CR Kennedy 74
Ankeny Centennial 50, Ames 29
Davenport Assumption 64, Davenport West 52
Norwalk 87, Gilbert 61
Westside Omaha 73, Sioux City East 56
No report yet on the Dubuque Senior, Chicago Vocational game in Fulton, IL.

Do you find that a team that predominantly runs a 2-3 like SOHS, against a siouxland conference team causes them fits as they don’t see it much the rest of the year?

Do you find that a team that predominantly runs a 2-3 like SOHS, against a siouxland conference team causes them fits as they don’t see it much the rest of the year?
There is a fine balance. If you are a team that runs a mixture of 2-3 and man then its not as much of a problem. I know MOC has been playing more 2-3 this year and BH really took advantage of it in their second meeting. The difference with SOB is that they usually only play their 2-3 zone the entire game (at least from what I've seen over the last few years). They play it a lot and they have become very good at it which makes it even harder to break for a team that sees 75% man coverage.

Western Christian love their 2-3 defense under Coach Eekhoff and they always gave teams a hard time because they ran it a lot and they were really good at it too.

Last edited:
Dubuque Senior 74, Chicago Vocational 57 on Saturday. I see that Luke has Senior #1 in 4A, although a half-dozen other teams could claim that honor, too.

There is a fine balance. If you are a team that runs a mixture of 2-3 and man then its not as much of a problem. I know MOC has been playing more 2-3 this year and BH really took advantage of it in their second meeting. The difference with SOB is that they usually only play man the entire game (at least from what I've seen over the last few years). They play it a lot and they have become very good at it which makes it even harder to break for a team that sees 75% man coverage.

Western Christian love their 2-3 defense under Coach Eekhoff and they always gave teams a hard time because they ran it a lot and they were really good at it too.

I meant to say SOB runs their 2-3 zone the entire game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT