ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night, Jan. 11 Scores & Comments

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Halfway through the season this weekend, so games are becoming more important. Do some teams have newly-eligible players with the start of second semester? Time to start ramping up the comments and discussions.

Cedar Falls 59 - Iowa City West 56, Final.

Nice bounce back after a tough double-OT loss at Prairie Tuesday.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Good game for CF in the balanced MVC. Definitely a wide-open year in the upper classes.

Significant Thursday games:
Bettendorf 61, Dav. Central 50-- Huge game in the Quad Cities
Clear Lake 59, Waverly 47- Go-Hawks struggling a bit this year, but good win for CL, #1 in some polls..
North Scott 57, Clinton 37

Friday scores coming in:
Carroll 71, Carlyle 53
CR Kennedy 76, Western Dubuque 62-- Kennedy much stronger than some realize
Dubuque Hempstead 69, CR Prairie 64- Mustangs are too good not to upset somebody
Norwalk 71, Dallas Center-Grimes 47-- Norwalk moving up the rankings
North Linn 76, Alburnet 48
WDM Valley 61; SE Polk 54
Waukee 52, Marshsalltown 32- Waukee making case to be #1 in 4A
Van Meter 53, Woodward Granger 29
CR Washington 76, Dub. Wahlert 74 in 3 OTs! Wash free throws at the end withstand a 54 point effort by junior guards Schock and Schmitt of Wahlert. Great game to watch.
Williamsburg 51, South Tama 41
Ankeny 61, Ankeny Centennial 57
A-P 58, Hudson 43
DM North 87, DM Lincoln 76
Denison-Schlweswig 71, Creston 57
George- Little Rock 56. Central Lyon 39
Sergeant Bluff- Luten 77, CBTJ 48

Last edited:
makelovenotwar. Good point, but these are dangerous teams because each can score in a bundle of spurts. CR Wash lost by only one point to ICWest, and is 5-5 with a very rugged schedule, and Wahlert (6-5) has not a single player in their front court who played a minute or scored a point last year. However, their three junior guards are outstanding. The only experienced senior this year is Luke Schockemoehl, who has missed all eleven games with a strange lingering illness that even Iowa City Hospitals can't figure out. If he gets healthy before tournament time, it'll be a huge boost. Wahlert's problem is their totally inexperienced front court full of role players who aren't scoring threats. About eighty percent of their scoring returns next year. Both these teams could be scary at tourney time because they're grinding it out every game against pretty stiff competition, and neither has a losing record-- yet, because wins will be hard to come by the next ten games..

Last edited:
More Friday scores:
Boone 59, ADM 52
Cascade 34, Anamosa 27
Cher. Wash. 63, Spirit Lake 62 in a barn-burner
Fairfield 47, Mt. Pleasant 38
Gilbert 91 G-C 66
CB Lewis Central 69, Atlantic 46
Marion 54, Mount Vernon 43
Oskaloosa 67, Pella Christian 41
IC Regina 69, Tipton 56
Pella 71, Grinnell 66 (OT)

Last edited:
More late Friday Night scores:

Bondurant-Farrar 62, Perry 37
Dav. Assumption 63, Dav. North 48
Charles City 75, Decorah 71
CBAL 57, SC Heelan 34
Dub. Senior 69, CR Jefferson 54
Gladbrook- Reinbeck 68, AGWSR 65 (OT)
Harlan 56, Clarinda 45
Johnston 53, Ames 46- tough week for Little Cyclones
LeMars 59, Western Christian 53
Linn Mar 54, CR Xavier 47
Pleasant Valley 50, Muscatine 31
Sioux Center 78, Okoboji- M. 61
SC East 94, SC North 71
Treynor 60, Tri-Center 52
East Waterloo 61, IC Liberty 53
West Branch 61, Durant 55

I watched (online) Boyden-Hull just absolutely crush MOC-Floyd Valley, they looked very impressive (although it was hard to tell the quality of their opponent).

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Camanche Indians just took their 1st loss of the year at the hands of a 4-7 Mt. Pleasant team. Can someone tell me if Mount Pleasant is a 3A school? Or 2A?

Thanks for the score on the GVC-SC West iowa longs. I was curious to see that outcome.

Re Boyden Hull, it is pretty neat/crazy to have two 2A schools that good in Hull, a town that small.

Do Boyden - Western ever schedule each other or play in the regular season against each other? Is there a big rivalry between them?
Given the size of Western's gym, I'd have to guess if they did, it would be held there.

Will they likely meet up in districts/substate? I'm guessing so, which would be a shame.

Camanche Indians just took their 1st loss of the year at the hands of a 4-7 Mt. Pleasant team. Can someone tell me if Mount Pleasant is a 3A school? Or 2A?
3A...It appeared Camanche was having a hard time shooting in the Cell Center..and MP played their best game of the year IMO.

Thanks for the score on the GVC-SC West iowa longs. I was curious to see that outcome.

Re Boyden Hull, it is pretty neat/crazy to have two 2A schools that good in Hull, a town that small.

Do Boyden - Western ever schedule each other or play in the regular season against each other? Is there a big rivalry between them?
Given the size of Western's gym, I'd have to guess if they did, it would be held there.

Will they likely meet up in districts/substate? I'm guessing so, which would be a shame.
I can't remember Western ever playing Boyden-Hull in a regular season basketball game. The only time they play are those years when B-H moves up to 2A. I think that is mainly due to Western trying to schedule up in classes with their out of conference and not down. I can't remember Western ever playing a 1A school.

I wouldn't say there is too much of a rivalry. The schools definitely want to beat each other when they play but things are pretty cordial between them. There are a lot of friendships between both the parents and kids. It is a small community after all. It looks like a postseason matchup is imminent this year and it should be a great one.

Can you honestly think that it would be a friendly rivalry if the two schools played every year?

Also, Western's high school is in Hull, but their recruiting student base extends 30+ miles out.

I can't remember Western ever playing Boyden-Hull in a regular season basketball game. The only time they play are those years when B-H moves up to 2A. I think that is mainly due to Western trying to schedule up in classes with their out of conference and not down. I can't remember Western ever playing a 1A school.

I wouldn't say there is too much of a rivalry. The schools definitely want to beat each other when they play but things are pretty cordial between them. There are a lot of friendships between both the parents and kids. It is a small community after all. It looks like a postseason matchup is imminent this year and it should be a great one.

Can you honestly think that it would be a friendly rivalry if the two schools played every year?.
Yes

Also, Western's high school is in Hull, but their recruiting student base extends 30+ miles out
Reference the 30+ other threads about this.

Why is the Siouxland Conference so good year after year if they're losing players (in Kindergarten:rolleyes:) to Western and Unity?

And....just noting that while the WC school is in Hull, but their student base is only a small fraction that are actually from Hull or Boyden.

By comparison, the kids that attend Boyden-Hull are from either a Boyden or Hull.

Yes

Reference the 30+ other threads about this.

Why is the Siouxland Conference so good year after year if they're losing players (in Kindergarten:rolleyes:) to Western and Unity?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT