ADVERTISEMENT

Fed rules change questionaire

Herdcyclones

Varsity
Jul 29, 2006
Got my yearly Fed rules change questionnaire that goes out to officials. Here are some of the things they asked: (not word for word--just the point) Again these are simply a survey for potential rules changes in HS football.
No distance penalty for improperly equipped, just removal for a play
Clarifying defenseless player doesn't apply until pass is thrown
Changing the free kick infraction signal
Adding option for fouls by kicking team during kick to have distance added at the end of the down
Changing play clock from 25 from put in play, to 40 seconds from end of down
moving kickoffs from 40 to 45
making it illegal to trip ball carrier
Jersey number has to contrast jersey
Making it legal to throw ball to avoid a sack, as long as outside of tackle box and ball goes past LOS
Getting rid of kickoffs.

My 2 cents on some of these:
I like the no distance penalty for improperly equipped. Just make a player sit for a play.

As someone who does JH and JV games with 3 or 4 man crews with no back judge, I don't like the 40 second thing. Maybe OK for varsity with a back judge and ball boys and all that. Otherwise, it can be problematic in retrieving a ball with little to no help. Also, when I white hat in a game that isn't close, or when a lot of subs are being entered, I like using my discretion when to start the play clock, to avoid delay of games, or limit snaps, when nobody is trying to game the situation and coaches are simply trying to do the right thing for their players. I want to help coaches get players in with out having to get DOG calls.

I think moving the kickoffs up to the 45 will create more problems. The point is to create more touchbacks. I think it will also increase onside kicks, which are very dangerous too.

I like the rule the "avoid the sack" throw rule. Safer for QB, and more importantly, matches the rule at higher levels of football.

As for getting rid of kickoffs, I'm maybe ok with that, but you need to give the kicking team a chance to get the ball. It wasn't in this survey, but I saw a proposal that instead of kickoffs, the offense would simply get the ball on their own 35. Or the "kicking team" in lieu of onside kicks, could choose to take the ball on their own 35, but when they take the ball, it will be 4th and 15. So obviously hard to convert, and if they do fail to convert, the defense would take over on the "kicking team's" side of the field. This plan avoids onside kicks, but gives the trailing team low odds, but at least a chance, to get back in the game. I would actually kinda like to see that tried.

Just thought of another downside of getting rid of kickoffs. That is a play where coaches let some non-starter types get some action. So total number of players participating in a game would probably go down.

Reactions: hawxs22
Got my yearly Fed rules change questionnaire that goes out to officials. Here are some of the things they asked: (not word for word--just the point) Again these are simply a survey for potential rules changes in HS football.
No distance penalty for improperly equipped, just removal for a play
Clarifying defenseless player doesn't apply until pass is thrown
Changing the free kick infraction signal
Adding option for fouls by kicking team during kick to have distance added at the end of the down
Changing play clock from 25 from put in play, to 40 seconds from end of down
moving kickoffs from 40 to 45
making it illegal to trip ball carrier
Jersey number has to contrast jersey
Making it legal to throw ball to avoid a sack, as long as outside of tackle box and ball goes past LOS
Getting rid of kickoffs.

My 2 cents on some of these:
I like the no distance penalty for improperly equipped. Just make a player sit for a play.

As someone who does JH and JV games with 3 or 4 man crews with no back judge, I don't like the 40 second thing. Maybe OK for varsity with a back judge and ball boys and all that. Otherwise, it can be problematic in retrieving a ball with little to no help. Also, when I white hat in a game that isn't close, or when a lot of subs are being entered, I like using my discretion when to start the play clock, to avoid delay of games, or limit snaps, when nobody is trying to game the situation and coaches are simply trying to do the right thing for their players. I want to help coaches get players in with out having to get DOG calls.

I think moving the kickoffs up to the 45 will create more problems. The point is to create more touchbacks. I think it will also increase onside kicks, which are very dangerous too.

I like the rule the "avoid the sack" throw rule. Safer for QB, and more importantly, matches the rule at higher levels of football.

As for getting rid of kickoffs, I'm maybe ok with that, but you need to give the kicking team a chance to get the ball. It wasn't in this survey, but I saw a proposal that instead of kickoffs, the offense would simply get the ball on their own 35. Or the "kicking team" in lieu of onside kicks, could choose to take the ball on their own 35, but when they take the ball, it will be 4th and 15. So obviously hard to convert, and if they do fail to convert, the defense would take over on the "kicking team's" side of the field. This plan avoids onside kicks, but gives the trailing team low odds, but at least a chance, to get back in the game. I would actually kinda like to see that tried.

Just thought of another downside of getting rid of kickoffs. That is a play where coaches let some non-starter types get some action. So total number of players participating in a game would probably go down.

I would concur with your take on most these "proposals". The KO should stay for onside possibility (HS success has better odds than NFL) and keep the KO at 40, it rewards those teams with a strong kicker.
For IHSAA, How about IR for games in the Dome, might avoid another officiating debacle as in the Bett/Dowling game. ;)

Last edited:
I would love love LOVE the requirement for jersey numbers to contrast with the jersey color. There are too many schools out there getting "fancy" and "cool" and "lit" (or whatever the latest youngster lingo is) with their uniforms, using fancy fonts and non-contrasting colors, and as a broadcaster it can be damn hard to know what player is out there making a play when I can't even make out the numbers. This change wouldn't fix everything (the oddball fonts are tough to read regardless of color, and players for some schools - Xavier, I'm looking at you - have adopted the trend of making their jerseys fit so tightly that the numbers bunch up and you can't always make them out, either), but it's a solid move in the right direction. Why have jersey numbers at all if they're impossible for fans and press box personnel to see?

That kickoff possibility mentioned by Herdcyclones is really interesting ... no kickoffs, but giving the kicking team the option for taking the ball 4th and 15 at their own 35. While I think 4th and 15 is maybe too tough (3rd and 15? 4th and 10?), I'm intrigued by the proposal. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about eliminating kickoffs altogether (I get the safety thing, but I haven't seen that many injuries at the high school level, although I think Xavier might have lost a player on the opening kickoff of the semifinal this year).

No yardage penalty for an equipment infraction seems fine to me. Also giving the return team the option to add penalty yards onto the end of the play, I like that. And giving the quarterback an out for throwing the ball away would be a good change. It adds workload to the referee to determine if the QB is out of the tackle box, but I think that change should be made.

I'll defer to real officials on the timing change. I really don't have any opinion one way or the other on that.

Reactions: Herdcyclones
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT