ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite to win 3A

In no particular order...Heelan, Central Clinton, Waverly, Wahlert, Knoxville, Iowa Falls...All have talent back. Could be a good race.

I'm sure there's others

You're right on IF-A. My bad. I assume Solon, who's now 3A, should be mentioned in the list as well. Glenwood looked awfully good at ISU, as did Waverly.

Glenwood looked very good at Wayne St indoor. Set a couple of records in relays. They have very good depth and flexibility in events.

After Drake relays who do you think the top 3A teams are now? I think Spirit Lake, DeWitt, Waverly-Shell Rock, Knoxville and Glenwood. The difference at the Iowa State meet is that the teams with better depth are much better off. Teams load up events to qualify for Drake so it is somewhat misleading as to a teams overall strength.

Originally posted by pstripe38:
After Drake relays who do you think the top 3A teams are now? I think Spirit Lake, DeWitt, Waverly-Shell Rock, Knoxville and Glenwood. The difference at the Iowa State meet is that the teams with better depth are much better off. Teams load up events to qualify for Drake so it is somewhat misleading as to a teams overall strength.

I you hit it pretty good on those schools. I also look for SC Heelan to be right up there as well.

That looks like a pretty good list. Mount Pleasant can also score alot of points. I think it might be an unusual year where several teams score alot

Looks like that's the list. Central DeWitt and Heelan will fight it out in the sprints with the others sharing points in the mid to long distances. Sometimes the medley times tell a story as it combines them a bit. Top 5 now are Central DeWitt, Knoxville, Glenwood, Spirit Lake and Algona.

Heelan and Central Clintion (Dewitt) have some top relays, but both should score very well in the field events.

Heelan's Baker is #1 in the shot put and discus, which could give them 20 pts there.

Central Clinton has a Carber is #2 in the shot put and #5 in the discus and also have the #5 and #11 long jumpers....so that could give them double digits in points from the field events.

With the flexibility at state, Glenwood could finish in the top two in the 4X4, 4X8, medley, shuttle hurdle,1600, 3200, and they might finish 1-2 in the open 800. Those races alone could be 60+ points. They could finish top five in the high jump, 110 hurdles, and the top three in the 400 hurdles also.

As for Glenwood, what races do you think Wheeler will run? Do you think he could score more points in the open 400 or anchoring the 4x4?

Wheeler may run the open 400 and anchor the medley instead, skipping the 4X4 (4X8 and open 800 are almost a given. Just a guess though.

Wheeler will run the open 800 and from there he may run the 3 relays (4x400, 4x800, and the medley). It is hard to imagine that he might not run the open 400 with the fastest time in the state in 3A. Fuller might run a couple of relays (800 leg of the medley and the 4x800) along with the 1600 and 3200. Guessing at this point.

From this past weeks district meet at Mt.Pleasant:

Team scores -- 1. Solon 133; 2. Mount Pleasant 132; 3. Clear Creek Amana 99;

I believe Solon is sending 13 events to state for boys and 16 events to state for girls.

Ganschow from CCA is an exceptional runner but I don't see CCA as a team having enough to place ahead of Solon, Mt.P, DeWitt, Heelan, Glenwood.

This thing is wide open.
Cotton not getting a mark in Long jump really hurt Mt.P. chances of getting a top 3 finish.I'm not sure what happen there?

Pstripe, you called it from the beginning. Glenwood had to many athletes and to much depth. Congrats Glenwood on winning the 3A title!

Hawkeyes1111, it was fun watching the glenwood kids on Saturday and their emotions from winning the title. They had an exceptional number of athletes to give them great flexibility in their lineups. They only won one event yet they scored in 6 open events,4 relays, and a field event. When you score in 11 of the 18 events it's a testimony to their depth. They will graduate many seniors but they have talent in the freshman, sophmore and junior classes. You cannot replace Wheeler and Fuller so they will be missed. Two seniors and a sophmore played on last years baseball championship team so this is their second championship. I talked to them Saturday and they can't wait for baseball to begin and to try and defend their baseball title. You never know, these kids are hungry. Our outfield will be unbelievable with Wheeler, Kaufman, and the two hurdlers Mitch and Kyle Bowden. They will be fast. If the two sophmore Bowdens improve like I think they will, they could be one of the best high school outfields that I have seen. This isn't the baseball board so sorry I got carried away. Thanks for the best wishes for the kids!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT