ADVERTISEMENT

EIH Week One 4A, 3A Basketball Top Tens

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Until Luke puts out his weekly Top Tens, we might as well have a little fun prognosticating and commenting about the better teams in 4A and 3A, although the bigger conferences haven't begun to sort themselves out yet. But, what the heck, here goes:

4A
1. Cedar Falls. Until they lose, they stay #1.
2. Iowa City West may be the best this year in 4A with Brauns and Morgan, and the margin of the win over Dowling was a stunner.
3. Waukee still seems like the best of the CIML
4. Sioux City East is by far the best of the big schools in Sioux City
5. Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln is impressive early
6. Dubuque Hempstead- Michael Duax and young team impressive to start
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Johnston/North Scott tie--NS has a loss, but it's a long season
9. Iowa City Liberty/ Ankeny tie
10. Dubuque Senior--young, very quick team that plays controlled offense

Waiting in the wings-- CR Prairie, Pleasant Valley, Linn Mar, WDM Dowking, WDM Valley, CR Kennedy. Please tell me who I missed.

3A.
1. Norwalk. Best guard combo in the state with Bowen Born and Anderson, who combined for 55 points last game, Anderson 6-6 from 3. Tough schedule, but could go undefeated.
2. Sergeant Bluff Luten
3. Dallas Center Grimes-- Starting out like gangbusters
4. Marion- best of the Wamac
5. Cedar Rapids Xavier-- tall and experienced
6. Gilbert
7. Davenport Assumption- best team in several years for Coach Fitz
8. Pella- one loss already but by a hair in OT to crosstown rival
9. Grinnell-- beat Osky, which says a lot/ Oskaloosa tie
10. Carroll

Waiting in the wings-- Clear lake, Ballard, Winterset, Dennison-Schleswig, Tell me who I missed.

Last edited:
Good work! I would have Waukee number 1 overall though. Sandfort and company are the most talented team, but not the most experienced so I will concede that

Until Luke puts out his weekly Top Tens, we might as well have a little fun prognosticating and commenting about the better teams in 4A and 3A, although the bigger conferences haven't begun to sort themselves out yet. But, what the heck, here goes:

4A
1. Cedar Falls. Until they lose, they stay #1.
2. Iowa City West may be the best this year in 4A with Brauns and Morgan, and the margin of the win over Dowling was a stunner.
3. Waukee still seems like the best of the CIML
4. Sioux City East is by far the best of the big schools in Sioux City
5. Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln is impressive early
6. Dubuque Hempstead- Michael Duax and young team impressive to start
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Johnston/North Scott tie--NS has a loss, but it's a long season
9. Iowa City Liberty/ Ankeny tie
10. Dubuque Senior--young, very quick team that plays controlled offense

Waiting in the wings-- CR Prairie, Pleasant Valley, Linn Mar, WDM Dowking, WDM Valley, CR Kennedy. Please tell me who I missed.

3A.
1. Norwalk. Best guard combo in the state with Bowen Born and Anderson, who combined for 55 points last game, Anderson 6-6 from 3. Tough schedule, but could go undefeated.
2. Sergeant Bluff Luten
3. Dallas Center Grimes-- Starting out like gangbusters
4. Marion- best of the Wamac
5. Cedar Rapids Xavier-- tall and experienced
6. Gilbert
7. Davenport Assumption- best team in several years for Coach Fitz
8. Pella- one loss already but by a hair in OT to crosstown rival
9. Grinnell-- beat Osky, which says a lot/ Oskaloosa tie
10. Carroll

Waiting in the wings-- Clear lake, Ballard, Winterset, Dennison-Schleswig, Tell me who I missed.
I like the list for both classes. I was wrong about CR Prairie...looks like the young kids are varsity ready. Heard the Ward and Burkle kid could be special players. I think Kennedy is going to surprise people...McKowen is one of if not the top coach in the state and they always have tough minded athletes.
What does Oskaloosa have besides Xavier Foster? They must not have much around him. Marion looks good early but Norwalk looks to be head and shoulders above the rest early. Wahlert will be there at the end of the year. EIH, you said they are missing some players? I thought that the Golden Eagles three top guards have all been playing...

Cheese- Their 6-5 returning center Lucas Topping is out with mono until after Christmas, and a rotation guard also missed a game. Assumption defense really shut them down Friday night, and they were frigid-shooting. I don't think they shot 25%. They also had a 6-9 senior reserve Hamilton who decided not to play basketball.this year, and he played rarely last year. Right now, they are vertically- challenged. Their sophomore team, with three starting freshmen, is taller than the varsity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT