ADVERTISEMENT

EIH 4A, 3A Top Ten Rankings- Week 3

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Don't see any other rankings for 3A and 4A out today, so here goes. As the weeks go by, these various listings of the top teams get more and more accurate. If you disagree, or feel that someone is left out, feel free to give your reasons.

4A

1. Waukee-- 5-0- A lot of fans think they are the best team; I agree, so here they are.
2. Dubuque Hempstead- 6-0 junior-dominated team that'll make noise for the next two years.
3. Ankeny Centennial is off to 6-0 start in the CIML.
4. Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln is best in the area at 7-0.
5. Cedar Falls is 4-1 but has a rugged schedule.
6. North Scott-- at 6-1 is the best 4A team in the southeast.
7. Sioux City East keeps piling up the wins at 7-0.
8. West Des Moines Dowling- at 5-1 already has some big wins.
9. Cedar Rapids Prairie- tall team that has put up a 5-0 record out of the gate.
10.--tie Urbandale/ West Waterloo: two 4-1 clubs that have been a surprise.

In the wings-- Ankeny, Iowa City Liberty, Iowa City West, Dubuque Senior, CR Kennedy.

3A

1. Davenport Assumption-- Veteran team with a star player and several big wins. 6-0.
2. Dallas Center Grimes-- 6-0 team with another tough schedule.
3. Carroll- No shortage of surprise teams in 3A. This gang is 5-0.
4. Winterset-- Veteran 5-1 team that has a win over Norwalk
5. Norwalk-- When you play a tough schedule, you take some losses. 4-2.
6. Pella-- another team with a wicked schedule. 4-2.
7. Mt. Vernon has been good for a couple of years. 6-0.
8. Harlan-- Not flashy, but they keep winning. 6-0.
9. Marion-- Finally took a loss, but a strong team at 3-1
10. Clear Lake- Lots of holdover talent from last year's great team

In the wings-- Sergeant Bluff Luton. My biggest worry is that I totally overlook a good team.

Last edited:
Thanks, Pinehawk. Now you know why I don't rank 2A. I have trouble with some of these 2A teams that play "up" and have victories over 3A teams. Looks like Clear Lake just made my top ten! Monticello is "back" in 2A. (I forgot Monti was in 2A).

Don't see any other rankings for 3A and 4A out today, so here goes. As the weeks go by, these various listings of the top teams get more and more accurate. If you disagree, or feel that someone is left out, feel free to give your reasons.

4A

1. Waukee-- 5-0- A lot of fans think they are the best team; I agree, so here they are.
2. Dubuque Hempstead- 6-0 junior-dominated team that'll make noise for the next two years.
3. Ankeny Centennial is off to 6-0 start in the CIML.
4. Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln is best in the area at 7-0.
5. Cedar Falls is 4-1 but has a rugged schedule.
6. North Scott-- at 6-1 is the best 4A team in the southeast.
7. Sioux City East keeps piling up the wins at 7-0.
8. West Des Moines Dowling- at 5-1 already has some big wins.
9. Cedar Rapids Prairie- tall team that has put up a 5-0 record out of the gate.
10.--tie Urbandale/ West Waterloo: two 4-1 clubs that have been a surprise.

In the wings-- Ankeny, Iowa City Liberty, Iowa City West, Dubuque Senior, CR Kennedy.

3A

1. Davenport Assumption-- Veteran team with a star player and several big wins. 6-0.
2. Dallas Center Grimes-- 6-0 team with another tough schedule.
3. Carroll- No shortage of surprise teams in 3A. This gang is 5-0.
4. Winterset-- Veteran 5-1 team that has a win over Norwalk
5. Norwalk-- When you play a tough schedule, you take some losses. 4-2.
6. Pella-- another team with a wicked schedule. 4-2.
7. Mt. Vernon has been good for a couple of years. 6-0.
8. Harlan-- Not flashy, but they keep winning. 6-0.
9. Marion-- Finally took a loss, but a strong team at 3-1
10. Clear Lake- Lots of holdover talent from last year's great team

In the wings-- Sergeant Bluff Luton. My biggest worry is that I totally overlook a good team.

I like both of your Top 10's at this point for 4A and 3A. Cedar Falls is the best team in 4A in my opinion...didn't Waterloo West beat them in the first game last year as well? Saw Waukee play against Valley and they are really solid, but I just think CF has better talent top to bottom. Centennial looks like they are for real and Coach Fontana will always have them defending and competing at a high level. Hempstead has looked really good and might have the best overall player in 4A right now in Michael Duax...this kid is an elite athlete with a great basketball skillset as well. He has the raw ability of a Power 5 D1 player in my opinion. 3A is so hard to rank because of the difference in level of competition played between so many of the traditional top schools. Assumption appears to be very strong, but what happens if someone can slow Peters down...is the supporting cast good enough to carry them if he has an off night. Do they have enough shooters this year? DCG seems to have a really nice squad this year and are off to a great start. Surprised that Norwalk has dropped two already...could ask the same questions about them in regards to Born as I posed about Assumption...if he ever has an off night, do they have the weapons to be able to get a win against a solid 3A team. I know Xavier has 3 losses, but Linn Mar, Hempstead, and Cedar Falls are all great 4A programs...don't write the Saints or Wahlert off already EIH!:)

Last edited:
Thanks, Cheese. Very good and fair assessments. There are several teams in 4A and 3A that can win it all, and a few teams have yet to get healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT