ADVERTISEMENT

Drake

May 8, 2013
Another great year for High School athletes at Drake. So fun to watch all the great performances. Cedar Rapids Jefferson's 4x200 was pretty sweet.

Was surprised not to see Pollard in the 1600 yesterday or Topham in anything at Drake. Not sure why they were in it, but hoping they are healthy and will be in top form for the state meet!

Was surprised not to see Pollard in the 1600 yesterday or Topham in anything at Drake. Not sure why they were in it, but hoping they are healthy and will be in top form for the state meet!
Impressive showing by WBND winning 4 events and seconds in 2 others. Will be the likely team champions in their class with that kind of overall scoring.

Reactions: oguard_run
I thought I heard Pollard had some irritation in his back and decided to sit it out. I am sure the weather probably didn't help with that.

Not sure on Topham as I was curious as she elected to not run the 800 or 1500 on Friday/Saturday. On Thursday She didn't run as well as she can in the 3000m on Thursday, so it's possible she also has an injury.

In both cases, there's no use running when you don't have to. Get healthy to make a strong run at the State Meet and summer National Meets.

Also.....how about the 800 races on Friday? The guys race was unreal with the amount of depth. The girls race was also stacked.

Not sure on Topham as I was curious as she elected to not run the 800 or 1500 on Friday/Saturday. On Thursday She didn't run as well as she can in the 3000m on Thursday, so it's possible she also has an injury.

Um ???? And, what place/time did she get on Thursday?

Does it bother anyone else how many runners dropped out of their races at Drake in the 800, 1500 and 3000? They are denying other runners a spot, not running because they don't feel like they were in the "best" shape. They aren't Olympic athletes, if your coach registered you, you should run unless truly injured.

Does it bother anyone else how many runners dropped out of their races at Drake in the 800, 1500 and 3000? They are denying other runners a spot, not running because they don't feel like they were in the "best" shape. They aren't Olympic athletes, if your coach registered you, you should run unless truly injured.
It the coach knows in advance that an athlete is not going to run in an open event he/she is suppose to contact Drake immediately so their spot can be filled. It is in the Coaches Packet to follow that procedure. I have know idea what happened? Did some kids not run in those events?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there were 24 in the 3000 field and 24 in the 1500 and only 21 ran in each of those events on the girl's side: Rebekah Topham, Jordan Kleve not sure who else dropped. Grace Coen dropped the 3000 but not the 1500 & 800.

For the most part, people were added to replace those who dropped. Only 21 qualify in the 1500/1600 and 3000/3200. I noticed there were 21 runners for the boys 1500 on the start list handed out Saturday morning, but Pollard wasn't on it. There were a few other events I know of where alternates were added for qualifiers who dropped. Algona didn't show up to run the finals of the boys 4x4 Saturday after qualifying Friday night. Not sure what happened there. Assuming one of their runners couldn't compete.

It the coach knows in advance that an athlete is not going to run in an open event he/she is suppose to contact Drake immediately so their spot can be filled. It is in the Coaches Packet to follow that procedure. I have know idea what happened? Did some kids not run in those events?

All scratches were refilled. They run 21 in the 1500/3000 and 16 in the 800.

Last edited:
Having one runner shouldn't mean a team can't run a relay. Relay teams are submitted with two alternates in addition to the four running the relay.

Agree, glad to see the 1500/3000 was completely filled, but yes baffled how a whole 4 x 400 can be scratched, i think the girls 4 x 400 also only had 7 teams. Can't understand how scratch a whole relay team from competing.

Agree, glad to see the 1500/3000 was completely filled, but yes baffled how a whole 4 x 400 can be scratched, i think the girls 4 x 400 also only had 7 teams. Can't understand how scratch a whole relay team from competing.

Marnin and Morken from Ames were both injured. I guess the prevailing thought was putting both alternates into the Drake Relays was a worse scenario than just scratching from the finals.

I think most coaches that know far enough in advance if their athlete doesn't intend to compete, they will let the HS committee know they are scratching and allow enough time to get the next person in. Most coaches care about other kids not on their team and also know that good Karma eventually comes around again to them. However, some coaches feel that their athlete earned that spot and may feel the need to hold onto it until the last second if the athlete could actually, miraculously, be ready to start the race. But most coaches know when their athletes are ready or not well in advance. Some just don't look at the big picture though. As far as scratching a relay from the final when you still have 4 healthy athletes, all I can say is too bad for the alternates. By the way, someone check for me but I heard that Drake is a little different in that you can run anyone on your roster as long as they are entered in the meet, on your roster/paid their entry fee and they don't violate the 4 event rule. The relay card can be changed at check-in. If I remember right, about 15 years ago (not mentioning anyone's/school name) a school was pegged for having an athlete on a relay that actually won but didn't have that kid entered in the meet nor did they pay their entry fee. If they had, it would have been legal. As it was, they were DQ'ed and everyone moved up a spot on the following Monday.

I think most coaches that know far enough in advance if their athlete doesn't intend to compete, they will let the HS committee know they are scratching and allow enough time to get the next person in. Most coaches care about other kids not on their team and also know that good Karma eventually comes around again to them. However, some coaches feel that their athlete earned that spot and may feel the need to hold onto it until the last second if the athlete could actually, miraculously, be ready to start the race. But most coaches know when their athletes are ready or not well in advance. Some just don't look at the big picture though. As far as scratching a relay from the final when you still have 4 healthy athletes, all I can say is too bad for the alternates. By the way, someone check for me but I heard that Drake is a little different in that you can run anyone on your roster as long as they are entered in the meet, on your roster/paid their entry fee and they don't violate the 4 event rule. The relay card can be changed at check-in. If I remember right, about 15 years ago (not mentioning anyone's/school name) a school was pegged for having an athlete on a relay that actually won but didn't have that kid entered in the meet nor did they pay their entry fee. If they had, it would have been legal. As it was, they were DQ'ed and everyone moved up a spot on the following Monday.
You get 6 names on the relay card only those 6 can run in the relay. The only time you can change that after you declared your lineup at sign up is by a doctors excuse saying one of the 4 are injured and then you can add another runner from your roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT