ADVERTISEMENT

Do these scores surprise anyone else?

They shouldnt...Ankeny is one of the best defensive teams in the state and Valley had a lot of trouble getting good looks. Hoover has the potential to be an extremely dangerous team if/when they can play together. When they play motivated and together...look out!

What surprises me is that it sounded like Dowling was supposed to be a dominant team once they got their studs back. What's going on with them?

I believe Ankeny is now 13-0 and the only undefeated 3A team left in the state. They knocked off both Valley and Dowling this week.

Valley and Dowling each lost both of their matches this week as well. Valley lost to Ankeny and Ames. Dowling lost to Hoover and Ankeny.

Impressive week for Ankeny. Tough week for Valley and Dowling. Of course, none of this means anything come postseason play.

So how would you rank these five teams in the Des Moines Metro area:
Ankeny, Hoover, Valley, Ames and Dowling

1) Ankeny
2) Valley
3) Hoover
4) Ames
5) Dowling Catholic

Ankeny falls in the #1 spot this year. No argument there. Judging from the games I've seen, Valley is the 2nd best team when/if they pull it together. Hoover has who I think is the best player in the state and he is good enough to put them ahead of Ames and Dowling. You could make an argument for Ames at #3 though. I think they are the big surprise of the 2009 season.

Dowling won two on Saturday. Look for Dowling to smash Ames on Tuesday night. Dowling 4 Ames 0.

How good is this kid from Hoover? There was a recent article in the Des Moines Register and it mentioned that Joe Lyons of Dowling was a Drake recruit. If Joe Lyons is getting a huge athletic scholarship to attend Drake, at what level will the kid from Hoover play at?

Husref is going to UW Milwaukee or UW Green Bay on scholarship. Can't remember which but both are DI programs. Lyons is walking on at Drake. The difference is tens of thousands of dollars.

Husref has signed with Western Illinois, but he hasnt played at all this week. Anyone know why? Hoover still played a great game against Ankeny without. They gave up 3 pretty ugly goals early but then controlled play and almost clawed back into it. I would love to see what they would've been able to do with Hus there...

I was at the Ankeny vs. Hoover game. It was lopsided but not in Hoover's favor. Hoover had 2 chances at goal and converted both. Ankeny got up 3-0 in the first 25 minutes and then checked out.

The better game on that night was Roosevelt @ Valley. Valley controlled the game but Roosevelt kept it close and had some chances at the end. Good HS soccer match.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT