ADVERTISEMENT

District results

Rose bowl or bust

All Conference
Jul 30, 2003
Anywhere to look for district results? You'd figure with all the technology we have that this would be something the state would try to get out as soon as possible, but I can't find anything yet.

I remember last year the state told district sites NOT to post results on Aspimeetz, which is just ridiculous. It's also ridiculous the state couldn't post results on its own website last night. Thanks for nothing, IHSAA. I'm sure it would have taken so much work for them to post results last night.

I believe they are holding off as to not give any advantage to the teams that didn't run last night. They could see the results and shuffle their line-up, it is a good decision and is fair.

I was able to find the four that were held by googling the online version of the local papers... I should have posted the links

Originally posted by captain_sparrow:

Originally posted by Bagtigo95:
How fair is it that the Brooklyn district's results are in the Gazette today?
You'd rather the sports writers not do their job?
lol

You think the Gazette sent someone to Brooklyn, Iowa to follow a 1a district track meet....OR, did BGM send the results to the Gazette before all the districts had been completed?

Think hard about this one......

lol

You think the Gazette sent someone to Brooklyn, Iowa to follow a 1a district track meet....OR, did BGM send the results to the Gazette before all the districts had been completed?

It doesn't matter if they sent someone or not, it's their job to get the results and put them in the paper.

Originally posted by se xc1:
I believe they are holding off as to not give any advantage to the teams that didn't run last night. They could see the results and shuffle their line-up, it is a good decision and is fair.
That's a fair point, but all of the 3A SQMs were run last night, so why couldn't they have posted those results?

lol

It doesn't matter if they sent someone or not, it's their job to get the results and put them in the paper.
Holy crap....

I'll try to make this as simple as possible. It has nothing to do with the Gazette. It has everything to do with releasing results to the media BEFORE all the district track meets have been completed.

Yeah, probably because the Gazette requested the results, because they were doing their job. Get over it.
You just agreed with what I'm saying like 4 posts above this.

I'm not blaming BGM, I'm not blaming the CR Gazette....all I'm saying is that there is a competitive imbalance when teams at one district know results of one or more districts before they have to finished their meet.

Now, go fly away.

Originally posted by se xc1:
That's a fair point, but all of the 3A SQMs were run last night, so why couldn't they have posted those results?

I came around to the idea of the IHSAA not posting results on their site, not to the idea of newspapers not getting results. So no, I didn't agree with what you said.

What's the difference?

If there is no advantage, why not just post them in both?
This post was edited on 5/10 1:25 PM by Bagtigo95

Yeah, probably because the Gazette requested the results, because they were doing their job. Get over it.
You just agreed with what I'm saying like 4 posts above this.

I'm not blaming BGM, I'm not blaming the CR Gazette....all I'm saying is that there is a competitive imbalance when teams at one district know results of one or more districts before they have to finished their meet.

Now, go fly away.
BGM released the results. How else would the Gazette get them? It's BGM, what do you expect? Belle Plaine held a district 25 miles away. Closer to CR. Did you see the results in the paper. NO! The IHSAA web site say no results will be released until Saturday morning BECAUSE of cancellations. Why do you think that is? Like I said it's BGM, go watch a meet there sometime. You will understand.

Maybe I am wrong here..... but, I don't really see what the advantage is (in regard to the suspended 1A/2A meets) and knowing about other performances. The rules state, once the meet has started, the only thing you can do is scratch - no substitutions. The meets started last night. I don't believe any substitutions or changes will be/should be allowed tonight. Coaches can scratch people, but I would not think they would be allowed to make changes. I suppose you could switch around a relay with the 6 kids you had already declared yesterday.... but that would be about it. Guess I can't really see "redoing" a district line up based on seeing some results from the night before..... I would think most coaches are already going with what they do best, and it is more likely that you would simply "think" yourself out of your best chances when you start messing with things.

Originally posted by cc coach:
Maybe I am wrong here..... but, I don't really see what the advantage is (in regard to the suspended 1A/2A meets) and knowing about other performances. The rules state, once the meet has started, the only thing you can do is scratch - no substitutions. The meets started last night. I don't believe any substitutions or changes will be/should be allowed tonight. Coaches can scratch people, but I would not think they would be allowed to make changes. I suppose you could switch around a relay with the 6 kids you had already declared yesterday.... but that would be about it. Guess I can't really see "redoing" a district line up based on seeing some results from the night before..... I would think most coaches are already going with what they do best, and it is more likely that you would simply "think" yourself out of your best chances when you start messing with things.
Well you can see the results of the 1600 and the 3200 and see that BGM district is going to get only 1 qualifier in those 2 races. That can very much have an effect on how the other district that was cancelled may be effected by knowing those times. If I was a competitor in those 2 races, I would love knowing that at least 1 district will only get 1 qualifier in those 2 races. Advantage? In my opinion, yes.

This post was edited on 5/10 1:41 PM by jchitwood12

Well you can see the results of the 1600 and the 3200 and see that BGM district is going to get only 1 qualifier in those 2 races. That can very much have an effect on how the other district that was cancelled may be effected by knowing those times. If I was a competitor in those 2 races, I would love knowing that at least 1 district will only get 1 qualifier in those 2 races. Advantage? In my opinion, yes.

What is the advantage? Theycan't change who you run - they already declared them yesterday. Were they planning on not trying, and now they know that they should try because the have a chance?? I don't get it. I see no advantage in the scenario you outlined.

They only thing I could see is maybe you had a good runner as an alternate in the Medley, you see that the 800 looked really fast, so you scratch him from the 800 and let him run the medley...... That is about the biggest advantage you could possibly get. I suppose that could be a potential advantage. But there is no advantage in individual races.

What is the advantage? Theycan't change who you run - they already declared them yesterday. Were they planning on not trying, and now they know that they should try because the have a chance?? I don't get it. I see no advantage in the scenario you outlined.

They only thing I could see is maybe you had a good runner as an alternate in the Medley, you see that the 800 looked really fast, so you scratch him from the 800 and let him run the medley...... That is about the biggest advantage you could possibly get. I suppose that could be a potential advantage. But there is no advantage in individual races.
If you are a border line qualifier in say the 800 and you are scheduled in both the 800 and 1600 you now have an option to scratch in the 8 knowing that you have a better chance in the 1600. That is the advantage. You have "options" that other athletes did not have that competed last night. Knowledge of results beforehand and having options based on those results is of course an advantage. As a coach, would you like to have all districts completed but yours with results posted and qualifiers posted going into your meet? My guess is of course you would, whether you admit it or not. Why then is the IHSAA not releasing results from last night? It has nothing to do with kids "trying hard" or not. That is just ridiculous. And if there is no problem with knowing results prior, why worry about scheduling all district meets on the same night? What difference does it make?

This post was edited on 5/10 2:09 PM by jchitwood12

This post was edited on 5/10 2:11 PM by jchitwood12

I would love to have the results BEFORE our district started - sure. But, what I am saying (in the case of the 1A and 2A districts) is it is NOT BEFORE - the meets started last night. Therefore, what they are actually able to do with that information now is rather limited. If they had it before, they could really tailor their lineup. But, since the meet started last night, o changes can be made - only scratches. It is some advantage, perhaps/or in some cases, just not a huge advantage I think.

The real advantage is the fact that those districts will be running on a beautiful night - while everyone else ran in semi-crappy to crappy weather. Now, that, I would take any day:)

You can make changes in the relay from within the pool of 6. If my 800 guy has no chance, I might put him in the medley for example. Or if my medley is looking borderline, I might save their legs for the 4x4 and unload it. Knowing is beneficial.

Knowing might be beneficial, but at the end of the day, it still comes down to whether or not the kids execute, not whether or not you knew how another district performed.

If you didn't think the results were a big deal, then why did you just chastise someone for sharing 2A results in another thread?

Knowing might be beneficial, but at the end of the day, it still comes down to whether or not the kids execute, not whether or not you knew how another district performed.
You are really, really dumb.

Just sayin.

Just sayin.
You make it very clear to me why this board has become a complete joke compared to what it used to be.

But you know what, you're completely right. I'm really, really dumb for thinking that the kids executing in a race or field event might be the biggest reason they make it to state or don't.

Just sayin.
You make it very clear to me why this board has become a complete joke compared to what it used to be.

But you know what, you're completely right. I'm really, really dumb for thinking that the kids executing in a race or field event might be the biggest reason they make it to state or don't.
Really? The kids have to execute? That's really ground breaking stuff. USA track and field is probably breaking down your door with that type of top notch track anaylisis.

It's not even what's being discussed. Myself, and others, are merely stating it is an advantage to coaches to know times of another district before finishing their district. Multiple examples have been given.

I was kind of disappointed in the lack of activity on this board all through the track season.
Now Bagtie rolls through and makes me wish it had stayed silent.
Please point us to an example of how the release of the BGM results affected state qualifying, or please go away.

Im surprised how many people don't think it is an advantage to know other districts results, it may not be huge, but it is still an advantage. With you knowing the times of other qualifiers/potential qualifiers and you are running multiple races you have an idea of how much effort you need to exert in your races. This is most definitely an advantage. Big difference in maxing yourself out in a 3200 and coming back for a 1600 and running well off your pr and doubling/tripling back. Hypothetical of course.

That being said, one needs to go and execute the race and the prior plans (as CC Coach said) and not over think things.

Originally posted by bdrube:
Im surprised how many people don't think it is an advantage to know other districts results, it may not be huge, but it is still an advantage. With you knowing the times of other qualifiers/potential qualifiers and you are running multiple races you have an idea of how much effort you need to exert in your races. This is most definitely an advantage. Big difference in maxing yourself out in a 3200 and coming back for a 1600 and running well off your pr and doubling/tripling back. Hypothetical of course.

That being said, one needs to go and execute the race and the prior plans (as CC Coach said) and not over think things.
This.

How freaking hard is it to wait a day or 2 for results? Are you people THAT childish? Those complaining are likely the adults that ruin sports for many as they have this entitled mentality that they or their children are somehow more deserving than others for various things. From playing time to preferential treatment to any numbrer of things.

further idiocy and pussification of America.

I would love to have the results BEFORE our district started - sure. But, what I am saying (in the case of the 1A and 2A districts) is it is NOT BEFORE - the meets started last night. Therefore, what they are actually able to do with that information now is rather limited. If they had it before, they could really tailor their lineup. But, since the meet started last night, o changes can be made - only scratches. It is some advantage, perhaps/or in some cases, just not a huge advantage I think.

The real advantage is the fact that those districts will be running on a beautiful night - while everyone else ran in semi-crappy to crappy weather. Now, that, I would take any day:)
This is all water under the bridge at this point. But the 1a Edgewood district did not compete on Thursday and then had access to the results from the BGM district, at least the winning times. Maybe it had zero effect, I don't know. But they did end up with 4 qualifiers in the 1600 out of that district. Looking at quick stats prior to the district meet I would not have predicted that. Did it help knowing that the winning time at BGM was 4:57. I'm sure it didn't hurt. Would all of the other districts have liked to have knowledge of prior qualifying times? Sure. I guess i would like the IHSAA to make the call on cancellations and cancel them all if they all can't be completed on the same night. Or at the least make sure the AD's don't release results until all are completed.

This post was edited on 5/12 5:00 PM by jchitwood12

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT